Iced over cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

rollinhills":2xdm36du said:
Been looking at the gang this morning, they were iced over, it's sunny about 21 no wind , I think everything is gonna be just fine.

I got you beat. 15 degrees. Wind 9 mph coming out of the north northwest.

Cows still wearing a heavy armor of ice and snow.

rollinhills":1y18ctou said:
Been looking at the gang this morning, they were iced over, it's sunny about 21 no wind , I think everything is gonna be just fine.

How did your anaplasmosis episode end? Did you get it under control without further loses?

Yes we did, i guess feeding the medication did the job, I'm thinking about mixing my own medicated mineral n this summer I'll see what my vet thinks. Also I built a automatic cattle sprayer to maybe help with the ticks, I used it some last year but couldn't keep spray in as calves would stand in it and get the cool mist on them, gonna add a timer I think that will cure the problems.
Only lost the two, but that was two too many.

The ones that will have a hard time are the ones that the snow melts off of. Snow on their back is a good sign.

No ice here, just over 1.2 inches rain again yesterday and last night. Good thing is, it is about 40 still, some winds, but they will be able to dry out and get in the sun before the temps start to drop off like they say, into the teens or lower tonight and stay cold tomorrow. I am going up to check on the small fall calves if I can get into that field with all the wet and mud and water running off the fields. Plain old snow is better than this cold rain and wind.

I've had to walk today to check cows. HATE making ruts. Will feed probably 12 or 13 rolls in the morning it should be froze hard 19 degrees they say.
I probably wouldn't have done so much hoofing today but had some smaller cows bred to Charlois wasn't sure how that was going to work. So far so good.

Just got in from shoveling out the feed bunks and putting some grain out. Cows have a nice snow/ice coat. Feels like -3 with 10 mph winds out of the NW. Looks like winter is finally arriving here.

We had a blizzard, maybe 18" of snow, super high winds, -6F low with high of +6. Then 48 house later, it was 40F this morning, rain all night, all morning. Lots of our snow melted, water running everywhere, and turned back to snow this afternoon. Really, really good on the cows, let alone the newborns!!!

-36F straight temperature without the wind. They're in the bush, all frosty and the odd one with her head down and a far off look in her eyes. 2 days in a row. Don't know how they do it.

Rydero said:
-36F straight temperature without the wind. They're in the bush, all frosty and the odd one with her head down and a far off look in her eyes. 2 days in a row. Don't know how they do it.

And I felt bad because it got down to 12 degrees here one night with no snow. I don't see how you folks do it, much less the cattle!

10 days coming of high of 10. Lows actual air temp of -24 for mid week. This am when I fed bred heifers was -13 and they were running and bucking in the hard snow just loving the sunshine. I would rather have that than a episode of 30 windy rain. That really sucks it out of them. Cold just takes little more feed and some bedding and wind break sure helps

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Till-Hill - you are soooo correct. I wouldn't want to take a hairless Brahman cow & transport her up here, but my cattle don't have any problem with the cold/snow. Just the wind.

I'm surprised my Bucking heifer x Holstein is hanging in there this winter. Was nervous as she is short haired, long eared and ugly as sin. Got to have something fun around tho!

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Till-Hill - you are soooo correct. I wouldn't want to take a hairless Brahman cow & transport her up here, but my cattle don't have any problem with the cold/snow. Just the wind.

We have a storm coming through tonight but behind it they are predicting wind chills down to-55 F Tuesday night through Thursday. We are used to cold and they have a wind break but the long period is making me a bit nervous.

Latest posts