Ice on the Mississippi

Help Support CattleToday:

That doesn't look like fun. Our rivers are still open, so hopefully when (or if :) ) it starts to melt we won't flood.

cypressfarms":3alwcw29 said:
Man!

The day the Miss. freezes like that down here is the day I'll be moving to Key West :eek:

If this global warming keeps going, we'd better buy up there real estate down there pretty soon. :D

Three snows in one winter is too much for me. Some places have broken the '64 record for snow fall.

If we could bottle this and save it for August..............

Cool pictures. Is that a rare thing or does it happen regularly in the winter?

cypressfarms":34bnynvb said:
Man!

The day the Miss. freezes like that down here is the day I'll be moving to Key West :eek:
Hey Cypress, when my Grandmother was little (she was born in 23) she remembered it freezing at Helena AR and a man walking to the other side. The Phillips county history book has pictures of it frozen and also recalls the story. I thought when it was so cold at the first of the year we would see ice floating down it but we didn't.

Hey FRED,

It used to happen all of the time, but with global warming an all this will probably be the last time... :lol:

No, really, it freezes up about once every four or five year. This year is a lot worst than usual. Most of the time we just have ice flows coming down river. There is a dam at Alton and its not uncommon to have a build-up above the dam, but the "channel" is usually open for the barges. This year they have had to close the locks a time or two to work the ice away from the lock so they will work properly.

Actually, since it usually doesn't freeze solid like this, the Alton area has become to be know as the Bald Eagle capital from late Dec. through Feb. every year. It easy to see dozens of them "fishing" along the Mississippi on a clear day. Some of them nest along the bluffs and stay here year long.

Latest posts