Ice buster / chopper

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Here is that hawkbill tool that I am using to bust pond ice with. It is similar to what dun posted on the original thread.

cutter.jpg

I have always heard them called ditch blades. I got one I use cutting bushes coming up under fences. Might have to try it on ice.

Around here its called a Kaiser blade. They are fairly common & you can still buy new ones and replacement handles also. I also have a smaller one about 1/2 size that is great for chopping pig weeds.

tom4018":2zrme2qp said:
I have always heard them called ditch blades. I got one I use cutting bushes coming up under fences. Might have to try it on ice.
Ditch blade or just ditch bank. Those things are murder on Saturday morning after Friday night in the hot summer.
Seems like an old axe would be as good or better for ice. But I have not had much experience with ice.

HOSS":1i3yt2mj said:
Here is that hawkbill tool that I am using to bust pond ice with. It is similar to what dun posted on the original thread.

cutter.jpg

We always called them "bush axes". Some neighbors call them sling blades. I promise you my dad saw to it to keep me and my three younger brothers very familiar with these things. Sharp on both sides and can be used for a number of brush cutting situations. We mostly found ourselves positioned on ditch banks with one in our hands during the winter months.

Once at a local tobacco warehouse just prior to an auction, a neighboring farmer and friend used one to take another fellow's arm off right at the shoulder. :eek: Some dispute that the adults never told us about. Never knew why, but remember how it scared all of us young'uns to death.

HUS

The way I have been utilizing this thing as an ice cutter is using the sharp edge in an axe like fashion to start a cut in the ice in a wedge or square shape. Then I take it and thrust it straight down into the cut with the top of the hawkbill portion. It cuts out a nice big one piece chunk that I can flip out of the hole with the hawkbill hook. This way there is no ice chunks floating around in the hole like my axe leaves. When it refreezes over the ice has to start from scratch so the next busting time the ice is thin and easier to cut. Of course the ice here is only 2" thick or so. If we had serious ice I might use something heavier to bust through with.

We call them brush axes here. I got to know one while working for a surveyor.

spoon":3ilewhr8 said:
We call them brush axes here. I got to know one while working for a surveyor.

Same here. Kaiser blade is what we call a sling blade which we use for grass and stuff. For ice, I just use my index finger to punch through it. ;-)

We used to have an old Hereford cow that would break the ice. I'ld see the cows all just sort of standing around until she came up, she would do her magic and get pushed out of the way and everyone would drink. When she left it got to the point I had to do it. Last week when we had a cople of zero and minus nights with highs in to teens and twentys I went out to break ice and there was already a hole in it through 2-3 inches of ice. The only addition has been the bull we got for clean up last year. May have to keep him around just for winter ice breaking.

Latest posts