Ice Age Cometh..

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
Since the weathermen are calling for freezing rain and accumulations of at least 1/4 inch of ice, going to go check on my generator to make sure its working, plus my 2 burner propane stove (gotta have something warm to eat) and bring in some more firewood.... Just in case we lose electricity like we did last year. I sure hope not.. but never hurts to be safe.

Bring on Spring already!! :nod:

Limomike":1sbkajni said:
Since the weathermen are calling for freezing rain and accumulations of at least 1/4 inch of ice, going to go check on my generator to make sure its working, plus my 2 burner propane stove (gotta have something warm to eat) and bring in some more firewood.... Just in case we lose electricity like we did last year. I sure hope not.. but never hurts to be safe.

They are saying we could get up to an inch and a 1/2
Southern Mo and Northern Ark

Angus Cowman":24l69xhh said:
We're in that interesting buffer zone. Possible snow to 8 inches north of us, possible ice to 1 1/2 inches south of us. With my luck it will move far enough north to get the ice then shift south and we'll get the snow on top of it.
Fired up my generator saturday and have it all set to go. Laid in extra gasoline, groceries and smokes

Looks like we are in the inch to inch and half range for freezing rain. You can have mine Dun i take it back next summer. Went and cut another load of wood this morning. Let'er rip!

Red Bull Breeder":3up6p71a said:
Looks like we are in the inch to inch and half range for freezing rain. You can have mine Dun i take it back next summer. Went and cut another load of wood this morning. Let'er rip!

I certainly appreciate the generosity, but I wouldn;t think of depriving you of the pleasure.

OH :shock: NOOO :cry2: :cry2:

ARE Y'ALL gonna be OK :help: :help:

YOUR weather sounds REALLY awful :???: Wish I could stop the stuff at the Canada border. :tiphat:

We are pretty wimpy, compared to Minnesotans, Canadians, etc. It won't go below 0 F. More like 28-34 F. Snow or ice? Ice is worst. Snow is a big darned inconveniece. Ice crashes the power grid, and some buildings. Harder on the cattle than snow, I think.

It was about -20 up here today and windy. Not too much fun hustlin' around campus! I am really looking forward to spring, seeing some green grass and planting my garden.

We're gettin' 2-4 inches of snow on 2-4 inches of snow, with 18 inches of frost in the ground. Won't melt till July. Expecting my first calf in the next day or two. Oh, well, it could be muddy like it was last year.

dun":7ysoqgyc said:
Angus Cowman":7ysoqgyc said:
We're in that interesting buffer zone. Possible snow to 8 inches north of us, possible ice to 1 1/2 inches south of us. With my luck it will move far enough north to get the ice then shift south and we'll get the snow on top of it.
Fired up my generator saturday and have it all set to go. Laid in extra gasoline, groceries and smokes

That everyday life here in Alberta! We Just got over a week of deep freeze. ( -30 to -45 celsius plus a wind chill)

Limomike":cgtf84m4 said:

Any ideas how we can hurry it up?! Man has that ice storm ever hit us! Lots of ice over here, gotta be careful just walking out. Several of us have wiped out. :lol: I sure hope we don't lost electricity like last year for 5 days...that was NO FUN.
My dad and brothers were coming home from work about noon (they're a construction crew) and had a "wreck"--slid into another truck. Wasn't too bad, nobody was hurt but it did dent up their big ol' dually. :( Ya'll be careful!

Only way I know how to make Spring get here faster is to go hibernate. Andn if I go hibernate, I am going to miss all the meals during that time I would normally eat them and I WOULD come out like a BEAR.!! :shock:

As far as the ice goes.. we got about an inch, with some light snow on top..and it still coming down somewhat. Got two bales put out for the cattle this morning.. even gave the bull some soybean meal, and creep along with his usual half a bale of prairie hay. Fed and watered the rabbits, dogs, other outside animals.. now am inside with a big fire roaring in the fireplace.... :)

had a 1/2 inch of ice this morning started raining about 4 am again and turned to sleet around 10 am and still sleeting we have about 1" of ice with about 2 " of sleet on it
put out 5 bales this morning and going to go put out 5 more this afternoon
When it is still coming down I hate to put it out and get it covered
so I feed morning and nite in weather like this

We have ice...not a lot yet...but enough to make me know why I got out of the raising baby holstein bull business.

The horses got out...the water to their trough is frozen. Sooooo, I had to go get the horses (the sheriff's deputy was kind enough to help :oops:), put them in a more secure smaller pasture and haul water, since the water to that pasture is frozen, too! I can't wait to tromp around and find where they got out! :mad:

After all that, I looked at the abandoned calf hutches and felt not one iota of nostalgia or regret!

Alice (who's still thankful for whatever moisture we get out of this)

Alice":2tj6nmlg said:
We have ice...not a lot yet...but enough to make me know why I got out of the raising baby holstein bull business.

The horses got out...the water to their trough is frozen. Sooooo, I had to go get the horses (the sheriff's deputy was kind enough to help :oops:), put them in a more secure smaller pasture and haul water, since the water to that pasture is frozen, too! I can't wait to tromp around and find where they got out! :mad:

After all that, I looked at the abandoned calf hutches and felt not one iota of nostalgia or regret!

Just a thought, Alice, but up North we bury water lines in the ground where they do not freeze. :D

john250":1eweomzp said:
Alice":1eweomzp said:

Just a thought, Alice, but up North we bury water lines in the ground where they do not freeze. :D

Hahaha, John...ours are too...maybe not deep enough, tho. Heck, I dunno! I haven't had to mess with anything like that since Van and I got married 5 (I think it's 5) years ago, and I got spoiled. OK?!!!!!

Alice

Latest posts