IBR nostril spray

Help Support CattleToday:

jbar

Reaction score
Anyone useing this (Intervet onset 5)it gives protection in 2 or 3 day.
I have a freind that has a feedlot whos useing it on sale barn calves.
what i am going to try on sale barn calves is this.

first day give this nasil spray(onset 5)
watch close for next few days (if some in group show signs of getting sick hit em all with neflor)
12th day give triangle 4 as a booster
i have been useing triangle 4 but it takes 5 days for protection.
would like to have anyones thoughts on the nasil spray good or bad.
my feedlot freind has lots of death loss, but i dont know if this has helped or not.

jbar":2hvat52x said:

watch close for next few days (if some in group show signs of getting sick hit em all with neflor)
my feedlot freind has lots of death loss, but i dont know if this has helped or not.

In truth I have never heard of it - I think you need to talk to your friend - try it and let us know how it goes - I for one would be interested in hearing more

Cheers

Bez+

Intervet Schering-Plough) IBR, BVD Types I and II, PI3 and BRSV protection for cattle 3 days of age or older. Give 2 ml intranasally. Annual booster is recommended. Modified live, requires mixing. Do not use in pregnant cows or calves nursing pregnant cows. Not for use in high-stress stocker cattle or high-risk cattle.)

That may be why your friend has a high deathrate. Call your vet and ask him/her how effective this will be as a preventative. That is what I would do.
It's a free call..

Your plan sounds like a strong well thought out one , but better to be safe for sure ,,right.

My vet had it in the calf schedule, then took it out. They seemed to think it wasn't working.

Larry

I was told that the nasal is the best way to administer because it gets absorbed better. That said the Onset 5 had issues with, if I remember right, the BRSV portion of the vaccine being ineffective or at least weak. They recalled everything from my local supplier early this summer and the supplier didn't seem to excited about getting future shipments. I did use it on all my heifer calves and it must have worked pretty well as I had no problems. I think it will be a good product if they work out the kinks.

novaman":eqd25znx said:
I was told that the nasal is the best way to administer because it gets absorbed better.

Quicker response was the story I got for nasal... I used to use it. Other approach is to mass medicate to give them a bit more time before, and reduce the numbers, any break.

Best thing is to get the stress off them and on feed ASAP. If you have more than 3% death loss you have issues other than vaccine.

jbar":1w5frwa4 said:

The only time I have seen it used was when the calf actually had IBR, they gave the calf the nasal spray or what not and it cleared up the ibr faster. As far as anything else goes I have never seen it given. I know with people shots always work better and give better efficacy especially the flu vaccines. However, I do not know where that is the case in cattle as well. One would think it would be.

thanks for all the input,havnt got to talk to my vet about it yet.the guy that has the feedlot has about a 5%-10% deathloss dont know how he makes a proffit.he backgrounded some for a guy i know and had lots of problems until they started useing draxxin.
i was told its in his ground and needs to let his lots go empty for a year or two?
but theyve been feeding cattle for over 50 years .

Talked to my vet about the spray and he thinks my idea will work very good. He said the spray works the fastest only draw back is once you mix it you have to use that day because its a live vac.

Latest posts