I wonder

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
I keep seeing all these ads touting "100% Angus Beef".. Wonder if anybody buying it could pick an Angus out of a herd of different breeds.....? Or if they even know what cattle look like..

the average untrained folk.... when they think cow, they picture a holstien.. and when they think bull, its a cow with horns something about horns is more a indicator.. than a set of cohones

I have some concern about all that "angus" labeling. No controls or verification that I know of. Maybe that makes the brand "Angus" stronger or maybe it dilutes that brand until it means nothing. When we have hot dogs labeled "angus", it is a lot absurd. It's a hot dog. No one alive can taste the difference between angus and any other breed in a hot dog. Dogs are all about seasoning, not beef. For now, it's a synonym for "quality" and that seems good. In the end, it is overused and trite.

john250":2mdiptzf said:
I have some concern about all that "angus" labeling. No controls or verification that I know of. Maybe that makes the brand "Angus" stronger or maybe it dilutes that brand until it means nothing. When we have hot dogs labeled "angus", it is a lot absurd. It's a hot dog. No one alive can taste the difference between angus and any other breed in a hot dog. Dogs are all about seasoning, not beef. For now, it's a synonym for "quality" and that seems good. In the end, it is overused and trite.

I have tasted Kobe franks. Believe me there CAN be a difference.

3waycross":2lcwrtu4 said:
john250":2lcwrtu4 said:

I have tasted Kobe franks. Believe me there CAN be a difference.

Allways an exception to the rule. :D

peg4x4":1g4gzugo said:
I keep seeing all these ads touting "100% Angus Beef".. Wonder if anybody buying it could pick an Angus out of a herd of different breeds.....? Or if they even know what cattle look like..

I've wondered the same thing, Peg -- how it gets to be labeled "certified." I know the Angus people have spent many years -- and have done a heluva good job -- with both breeding towards a certain "type" (for lack of a better word) and in breed marketing/advertising. But with cattle purchased at auction, then sent to big lots for finishing -- really, how do you know what you're getting? A steak that started out with a black hide, or purebred Angus? What's the CERTIFICATION process? :?:

ALACOWMAN":yx1hv2zc said:
the average untrained folk.... when they think cow, they picture a holstien.. and when they think bull, its a cow with horns something about horns is more a indicator.. than a set of cohones
:nod: yep, just look at the Chick Filet commercials.

How does the certification process work?

Cattle undergo two evaluations before becoming CAB brand:

Step one: Live evaluation – Employees at licensed processing plants are approved by CAB and monitored by the USDA Agricultural Marketing Service to identify predominantly black cattle (at least 51 percent of the hair coat is black) or AngusSource® enrolled cattle. Typically half of the cattle entering licensed packing plants, meet the live specification and are eligible for further evaluation. Carcasses from these are marked with an "A" stamp to maintain identity throughout processing.

Step two: Carcass evaluation – "A" stamped carcasses are then presented to a USDA grader* for further evaluation based on the ten established quality specifications that must be met:
1."Modest" or higher degree of marbling – Marbling, or intramuscular fat, appears as the small white flecks of fat finely interspersed throughout the lean and serves as the main contributor to beef flavor and juiciness. Most USDA Choice graded beef contains only the "Small" minimum marbling requirement.
2."A" maturity for each, lean and skeletal characteristics– "A" maturity cattle, tend to produce beef that is superior in color, texture and firmness of the lean.
3.Medium or fine marbling texture –Marbling must be finely and evenly distributed throughout the lean muscle tissue for consistent beef flavor and juiciness.
4.Ribeye Area (REA) of 10.0 to 16.0 in2 – Ensuring more consistent sizing of boxed product.
5.Hot Carcass Weight (HCW) less than 1,000 lb. – Eliminating extremely heavy carcasses.
6.Fat Thickness (FT) less than 1.0 inch –Eliminating excessively fat product.
7.Moderately thick or thicker muscling – Eliminating thinly muscled, narrow carcasses and those with significant dairy breed influence. Superior muscle thickness implies a higher proportion of meat to bone.
8.Practically free of capillary ruptures – These small blood spots detract from the product's eye-appeal.
9.Free of "dark cutting" characteristics – Animals that are stressed prior to harvest may produce carcasses known as "dark cutters", where beef takes on a dark brown to purplish color that is not attractive in the meat case. Sometimes it may have an "off" flavor as well.
10.No hump exceeding 2 inches in height – Eliminating cattle with significant Brahman (Bos Indicus) influence. Research indicates this breed of cattle tends to produce beef that is inconsistent in tenderness.

Only carcasses meeting these ten stringent quality requirements are marked "Accepted as Specified" by the USDA grader*. These carcasses are then processed as CAB brand and distributed by CAB licensees.

Latest posts