I Was Right!

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan":23v0gnsq said:
The thing I don't understand is how you or anyone can drive around in a truck for months listening to metal grinding on metal for all those months without doing anything. For me it's usually the other way around, I'll get in my wife's car, drive, go home and ask her how long it's been making that noise. I'm with chippie, you should have gave hubby one chance to check it then took it in yourself.

I asked them to look and they also told me nothing was wrong.
so at least three men were wrong and ILH was still right :roll:
that's how the real world works, guys. Just because 19 out of 20 used to believe the world was flat doesn't make it so...

Yup, a few $100 dollars for brakes and rotors will show him. One of my first jobs was framing houses, I had just been promoted from grunt to newbie nail pounder. I made a pretty big mistake on a wall. My boss jumped on me about it and I informed him I had asked a more experienced carpenter for advice before I did it. He told me "then I did not ask loud enough ...... Now I know so don't do it again."

I also spent years as a auto mechanic, so I may be a bit critical. But, I have done many, many brake jobs as well as wheel bearings........ I still don't get it, when they go bad there is no mistaking that something is wrong. Should have asked louder, meaner, took the truck in herself. There is no mistaking that something is wrong.

This is not a gender issue, it's a common sense issue. Sorry ILH, the gender card is what got me going.

My 2 Cents, My wife or daughter tells me something is wrong and they describe it to me. If its just the wear tab on the brakes. I Stop and buy new brakes and put them on within a few days. If its sound unsafe I have them park it till I get there and evaluate it. They are not helpless but they know I will listen to them . also My family is to precious to me to let even the slightest malfunction not get fixed right away.

With the roads I drive the brakes are always scratching, squealing, or making some kind of noise. I got a rock in one right now making all kind of racket.

Best thing is disk brakes. When I rotate tires every 5K mi I walk out and look at the brake pads. Takes 30 seconds and you are good to go.

The good thing about using Discount Tire is if your pads are close to worn the will come get you and show you. They don't do brake jobs so the don't have any thing to gain or lose. It's just a courtesy deal.

Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. I just thought it was funny. Hubby hates it when I am right.

This truck is not driven daily. Sometimes it will sit for a couple weeks before we will even take it out. I normally use it to go to the big city to do some grocery shopping.

Yeah I should have taken it in myself. But I did believe my hubby when he told me nothing was wrong.

Alan I was informed we need a new caliper (?) on the right rear. So the truck is parked for now. Gender issues? Sorry I must have missed something there.

Some places who do brakes, like Les Schwab, will replace the caliper as part of the brake job. I'm just like m-5, as soon as I hear of or hear a problem it's as simple as picking up the pads at the part house and done. Just takes an hour or two and a beer or two, no big deal to do. I'll have the rotors turned if needed.

You had nothing to do with the gender thing, it was a couple of other responses.

My wife is forever pointing out stuff in the house and telling me "_______ is leaking" or "We need to fix _______". or "My car is_______."
I just tell her "Fix it" or "I ain't gonna be around forever--Do whatever you'd do if I was dead and buried".

Guess I am wary about taking my vehicles into certain shops. The last one I took a truck to they tried to get me to buy a whole new coolant system, which had all been replaced. The also wanted to sell me a catalytic converter.
I never went back.