I want to know

Help Support CattleToday:

crossbreed curt

Reaction score
Hi I am thinking about buying a Jersy hefer. Would she have to be milked even with a calf sucking? :help:

Probably. Over time, we've bred dairy cattle to overproduce. If you don't, she'll be really uncomfortable for a while but then her production will probably drop off. But I would either milk her or use her for a nurse cow.

crossbreed curt":9v00kf7n said:
Hi I am thinking about buying a Jersy hefer. Would she have to be milked even with a calf sucking? :help:

First - if she is a heifer she will not have a calf.

Second - if she is a bred heifer and she calves - becoming a cow - and you do not want to milk her, you do not have to - she will adjust milk her production to what the calf takes.

If you want to take milk and she produces heavily enough to supply the calf zand you - you need to start milking regularly - right from the beginning to continue to keep the production high enough to satisfy the calf and your needs. You may very well have to suppement her feed with grain - if on good grass you will likely not have to do this for some time.

If you want to take milk and she does not have enough for you and the calf - you are SOL - either way, enjoy your experience.

Bez+

Bez+":24l4mmg6 said:
crossbreed curt":24l4mmg6 said:

First - if she is a heifer she will not have a calf.

Second - if she is a bred heifer and she calves - becoming a cow - and you do not want to milk her, you do not have to - she will adjust milk her production to what the calf takes.

If you want to take milk and she produces heavily enough to supply the calf zand you - you need to start milking regularly - right from the beginning to continue to keep the production high enough to satisfy the calf and your needs. You may very well have to suppement her feed with grain - if on good grass you will likely not have to do this for some time.

If you want to take milk and she does not have enough for you and the calf - you are SOL - either way, enjoy your experience.

Bez+

Lots of folks around here use the term "heifer" loosely. We have heifers, 1st calf heifers and 2nd calf heifers. Not a cow til 3rd calf. And everyone understands it.

a jersey will give enough milk for 2 or 3 calves.an she will keep milking good if you feed her real good.by good i mean 15lbs of grain a day.an if you wanted to you could wean the calves at 3 months.an raise 6 calves on her a year.

Latest posts