I want a piece of that

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
I bought steaks for Jeff and me. Prime grade rib eye. About one pound for each of us.

Then home to grill the steaks. They looked and smelled and tasted delicious. It was only as I was cleaning up the meal that I saw the wrapping for the steaks. I literally gasped: $50.99 per pound. I must be going blind. I thought it had been $30.99, which would have been plenty high enough. But $50.99??? I felt sick. The steak no longer tasted or smelled good.

At least they are taking care of the processors and retailers. A little bit the producers.

I can believe that people who have cattle are out buying steaks. Must have money to burn.
Nahh…maybe those paying $50 a pound….$15 is about as high as I go but I haven't bought in a while. Lots of cuts, parts, pieces, lesser cuts in a carcass I don't care to deal with after the good stuffs gone.

My biggest concerns when having my own beef processed is that every one of them tastes differently. It doesn't matter if I finish them on grass or grain. Sometimes they just don't taste good to me even though they live a stress-free life, are vaccinated and fed well. I don't want to get stuck with an entire beef that I don't like the taste. Any suggestions?

My biggest concerns when having my own beef processed is that every one of them tastes differently. It doesn't matter if I finish them on grass or grain. Sometimes they just don't taste good to me even though they live a stress-free life, are vaccinated and fed well. I don't want to get stuck with an entire beef that I don't like the taste. Any suggestions?
My freezer?

Different brand of salt and pepper? 🤷‍♂️

Are the cattle all the same ?

I've struggled with that too. Finding the right butcher helped a lot. Getting rid of the Gelbvieh influence also seemed to help for consistency.

My last 10 in a row have been good but I wouldn't say really consistent

I worried about that too.

I did genetic testing at first. I could not tell much, if any, difference in what the test would be more tender, more marbled than the one said said less so.

Latest posts