I wanna quit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

holly heifer

Reaction score
:cry2: One of our very best 3 year old cows ( this was here second calf) had a terrible
accident last pm. She was in labor, the calf was large but by no means a 'monster' calf.
The calf came easily, then the whole uterus followed, the cow ruptured the uterine artery
and bled out and died. :frowns: Baby got up and was nuzzling his dead momma, looking
for teat. I dried baby off, iodined the umbilical and gave her a bottle of colustrum( which
she greedily sucked down) With a heavy heart, I took baby to the barn to be with my
other bottle baby. ( actually in separate pens---- they like to suck on each other :roll: )
This dead thing is starting to get to me. The calves were bad enough, but to lose a young
cow that had a wonderful bag, was a good mom , and was easy to work with, seems really
awful. Why couldn't it have been that nasty bad bag cow I am going to cull anyway??????? :x
I am going out here real soon to check them all again( its all I do) to see what train wreck
lies ahead for tonight. :help: Think of me! :cry:

My sympathies are with you. The road you are going down looks very familiar to me. All I can say is that there are some years when no matter what you do or try nothing ever works. However, the year will pass and everything will get better again. Good luck with the remainder.

Dear Holly Heifer, Beleive me I do understand what you are going through. I had a real awful week as well. Death and dying, mad cows who are ungrateful when you help them, and grateful cows that die no matter what you do. I feel for you, I really do. Keep your chin up, and hang in there.

so sorry to hear that your having those freak accadents.no 1 can stop things like that from happening.its sad but true.if you have livestock things like that can an do happen.but 1 goodthing is you have a live calf to show for it.

Sorry about the rough patch. and that is what it is.
Honestly, it's always the best cow that bites it. Never the one you want to get rid of. We have all been there. All had days we want to throw in the towel. BUT...it will get better and worse and better again.

Get back up and dust yourself off. You did your best, the next one will go better. Think, you have a healthy calf, that is good, could have lost both.

You have my sympathies, honestly. It was one of those days. Good luck with the rest of the season
Chin up,

RR

Those kind of things are hard to take. You have my sympathy. Even though we know it happens when you deal with livestock, it doesn't make it any easier when it does happen. I hope things get better real soon.

i know EXACTLY how you feel but i'm still too ticked off to talk about it.

Then quit. The simple fact of the matter is that **** happens - and it generally happens to your best heifer and/or cow - put on your big girl panties and deal with it. I'm sorry this happened to you, but it's a part of the cattle business - if you can't handle it, then get out.

msscamp":10vqrpme said:
Then quit. The simple fact of the matter is that be nice happens - and it generally happens to your best heifer and/or cow - put on your big girl panties and deal with it. I'm sorry this happened to you, but it's a part of the cattle business - if you can't handle it, then get out.
Well said msscamp.

This is the one big problem that the wife (granny soo) has had since leaving the city life and coming to the farm. Death is an everyday part of life. You just see it so much more here than in town. Death happens to all, including dogs, cats, cows, and us. It's just part of the great big circle of life. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust........

Lost two first year heifers the same way. It is very disappointing, but if you like raising cattle then don't quit.
Like my hubby would always tell me "Sh*t happens."
Next year will be better.

TNMasterBeefProducer":2qxsoxk4 said:
holly heifer":2qxsoxk4 said:
:cry2: One of our very best 3 year old cows ( this was here second calf) had a terrible
accident last pm. She was in labor, the calf was large but by no means a 'monster' calf.
The calf came easily, then the whole uterus followed, the cow ruptured the uterine artery
and bled out and died. :frowns: Baby got up and was nuzzling his dead momma, looking
for teat. I dried baby off, iodined the umbilical and gave her a bottle of colustrum( which
she greedily sucked down) With a heavy heart, I took baby to the barn to be with my
other bottle baby. ( actually in separate pens---- they like to suck on each other :roll: )
This dead thing is starting to get to me. The calves were bad enough, but to lose a young
cow that had a wonderful bag, was a good mom , and was easy to work with, seems really
awful. Why couldn't it have been that nasty bad bag cow I am going to cull anyway??????? :x
I am going out here real soon to check them all again( its all I do) to see what train wreck
lies ahead for tonight. :help: Think of me! :cry:

Im sorry for your loss. I reckon you can see why I got out of the hereford business ages ago. Granted that uterus thing could have happened to any breed. Just seems herefords always had more problems than they were worth.

Could it have been that you just weren't a TNMasterbeefproducer back then and didn't manage and select like a masterbeefproducer should?

msscamp":1xdgeltl said:
Then quit. The simple fact of the matter is that be nice happens - and it generally happens to your best heifer and/or cow - put on your big girl panties and deal with it. I'm sorry this happened to you, but it's a part of the cattle business - if you can't handle it, then get out.

You did get out of the cattle business? right?
Did you put on your big panties? or just left with the dirty in you pants?

It is a part of this business, death happens.
A-holes do also, as we can see...
Sorry about your bad day. It can an will get better.

Yup. Here's my list: prolapsed rectum, prolapsed vagina, foot rot (4 times in 3 different pastures), gash in flesh, dead AI twins from my best cow, acidosis in the fed cattle . . . and that's just since Novemeber!!! Only thing I haven't had yet is a dead cow . . . but I still haven't calved my heifers! I been looking all winter for my big girl panties . . . must be buried under that last 15 inches of snow we just got :lol: .

redfornow":269sm1r0 said:
msscamp":269sm1r0 said:

Yes, we did - but not by my choice. I always have my big girl panties on, and I can/will deal with whatever life throws at me. I'm a survivor - I'm too stubborn to give up, and too stupid to know when I'm beat - so I keep trucking, always looking for a better way of doing things - and that is more than I can say for quite a few members on this board. As far as the "bad day" - I don't think so, I just get a little tired of the whining when life does not cooperate with any given person's plan. As has been stated many, many times on here - if you have livestock, you're going to lose livestock - deal with it, look for better ways to minimize losses, and get on with your business. If you don't like my responses, then don't read them.

I know your post was more about venting than about being sincere about quitting. Next time you think you are having a bad day, go back and re-read the post by bward where she did basically a C section by herself. Boy, that will put things in perspective for you.

Just remember, someone is always worse off than you are.

Yes, we did - but not by my choice. I always have my big girl panties on, and I can/will deal with whatever life throws at me. I'm a survivor - I'm too stubborn to give up, and too stupid to know when I'm beat - so I keep trucking, always looking for a better way of doing things - and that is more than I can say for quite a few members on this board. As far as the "bad day" - I don't think so, I just get a little tired of the whining when life does not cooperate with any given person's plan. As has been stated many, many times on here - if you have livestock, you're going to lose livestock - deal with it, look for better ways to minimize losses, and get on with your business. If you don't like my responses, then don't read them.[/quote]

I agree, plus sometimes it helps for someone to tell you just what MSSCAMP did earlier, it makes a person decide just what they really want and what they are not ready to put up with anymore. I used to know a Minister who did so much marriage counseling it almost drove him nuts. Eventually he got to the point where the first question he asked at the first session was "Do you want to be married or not, if the answer was no or I don't know he asked them to leave."

To me that was exactly what Msscamp did here, sometimes you just get tired of hearing it and say if you can't take it get out. That doesn't make her a bad person, just an honest one. :nod:

Don't you think that sometimes a person just needs to vent their frustrations? Venting to someone who actually knows what you are talking about is helpful in that you may just get some empathy. Whining is not always attractive but I think everyone does whine about one thing or another. It may be annoying to listen to but if it makes a person feel better go ahead and get it over with and whine a bit. I know that I am tired of hearing myself whine about this darn winter weather that won't go away, but can't seem to help myself. I don't think Holly really wants to quit, I think she was just venting her frustration. I don't think she was being a little girl vs being a big girl, just frustrated after a bad day. There will be good days and there will be bad days. Hopefully we will all have more good than bad.
Well, I guess I have vented enough about this...
I hope you are all having a good Sunday and a good week ahead.

msscamp":3vitw07d said:
redfornow":3vitw07d said:
msscamp":3vitw07d said:

Yes, we did - but not by my choice. I always have my big girl panties on, and I can/will deal with whatever life throws at me. I'm a survivor - I'm too stubborn to give up, and too stupid to know when I'm beat - so I keep trucking, always looking for a better way of doing things - and that is more than I can say for quite a few members on this board. As far as the "bad day" - I don't think so, I just get a little tired of the whining when life does not cooperate with any given person's plan. As has been stated many, many times on here - if you have livestock, you're going to lose livestock - deal with it, look for better ways to minimize losses, and get on with your business. If you don't like my responses, then don't read them.

Yep you are a survivor but you quit....
I just belittled you like you belittled her.
You got to quit on your own terms let her.
Thats if you can get off that box without falling.

Latest posts