I took some steers to the butcher today

Help Support CattleToday:

SirLoin

Reaction score
What a PITA :roll: My wife wonders why I always get stressed on the day I deliver cattle to the butcher. She had to help me today, so she found out why.

I penned four of them up very easily about 11:00 a.m.. I lured them into a pen with some horse sweetfeed. I could not believe how easy it was to get the four I wanted in one pen at the same time. I had one 1200 lb or so that had some longhorn in him that always gave me problems and I figured today would be no different. I fed and waterered them good and left them in the pen for a couple of hours until the trailer came. About 1:00 the hauler's wife calls me and tells me he's had a stroke recently and that he would need me to run my steers down the chute and pen them up at the butchers. Great! I've done it before but at 46, I'd rather pay someone to do it, but my regular guy is busy. We load the steers up easily on the trailer and get to the butchers.

The butcher has indoor holding pens, so I choose a pen and wedge the door open in the hallway. I open up the trailer and begin to gently prod the longhorn with my cattle stick. He jumps right off the trailer and walks down the chute and pens himself. The other three refuse to budge. After 15 minutes, they exit the trailer and stand up on the landing before the ramp down the chute. No amount of poking or prodding would get these 3 animals to move. After awhile, one of the workers on the kill line who just happened to be there getting stuff ready for tmrw, shows up with a cattle prod. This should make short work of things right? :roll:

20 minutes later, after at least 50 jolts to the cattle, after two of the cattle getting wedged together and actually getting stuck, and the third falling down and not being able to get up because the other two were awkwardly jammed together, we get the cattle into a pen. What a PITA!

On the bright side, the cattle look to be the biggest I've ever grown. I'd estimate that the average hanging weights will be 50 pounds heavier than normal. I noticed that it cost me $50 a head more to feed these cattle for the year, and that they were on average 50 lbs. lighter at purchase time. After I get the hanging weights, I'll see if my experiment with bypass protein paid off. It sure looks like it will.

Final numbers are in. :clap: :clap: :clap:

The steer's hanging weights averaged 43 pounds heavier than my average year. That's $86 dollars extra per steer. $36 extra profit right off the top!They started on average 37 pounds lighter than my average year. I kept them 14 days less and it cost me 50$ more per head to feed them, due almost exclusively to the added cost of mixing 47% protein soy meal into their normal allotment of 14% steer feed. I was roundly criticized here for wasting my money :roll: :roll: :roll:

Let's see, my finishing time was lower, my ADG shot up, and my profit margin increased and last winter was the coldest winter I've been through since I began raising cattle. I guess the "experts" are not always the "expert" that they think they are. I feel sorry for folks so set in their ways that they will put pride before profit.

papavillars":qsbbbgt7 said:
WOW, don't hold back say what you really mean

Just posting the truth ;-)

I was roasted here by several "experts" here who probably have never even heard of by-pass protein :nod:

BTW, the calves I raised this year are all from the same bull and some are from the same mothers as the calves I have raised in the last 4 years .

My point is that being closed minded is not a good business trait, IN ANY BUSINESS.....Once my pasture goes dormant for the year, I'l be rolling out the cheap hay and once again boosting my grain supplement protein up to around 20% with soy meal. Sure it's triple the price of steer feed, but it's also more than triple the protein.

upping protein intake causes cattle to consume more hay, thus increasing ADG

SirLoin":xf340ibt said:

I was roasted here by several "experts" here who probably have never even heard of by-pass protein :nod:

BTW, the calves I raised this year are all from the same bull and some are from the same mothers as the calves I have raised in the last 4 years .

My point is that being closed minded is not a good business trait, IN ANY BUSINESS.....Once my pasture goes dormant for the year, I'l be rolling out the cheap hay and once again boosting my grain supplement protein up to around 20% with soy meal. Sure it's triple the price of steer feed, but it's also more than triple the protein.

Wow you have a few things to learn when it comes to cattle nutrition.

My point is that being closed minded is not a good business trait, IN ANY BUSINESS.....Once my pasture goes dormant for the year, I'l be rolling out the cheap hay and once again boosting my grain supplement protein up to around 20% with soy meal. Sure it's triple the price of steer feed, but it's also more than triple the protein. upping protein intake causes cattle to consume more hay, thus increasing ADG

First off, I'll agree with the "being closed minded is not a good business trait" but from there you fell completely off your tater wagon. The 14% crude protein was more than adequate.. the rest of it went thru the rumen, thru the kidneys into the bladder and from there to the ground and that's called "pi$$ing your money off". Feed a higher quality feed, not a higher protein feed. And if you want by-pass protein, there are much better less expensive sources than soybean meal. As for the hay, put some decent hay out there for them and they'll eat all they need anyway. I'm sure you can go to Amazon.com and find a relatively cheap copy of "Ruminant Nutrition for Idiots".

:lol: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:, "Pi$$ing your money away" really means increasing profit, increasing ADG, and decreasing the time it took to get the beef to market weight.

I bow down to your "superior business sense" :lol2: :lol2: :tiphat:

novaman":2tseayzb said:
SirLoin":2tseayzb said:

Wow you have a few things to learn when it comes to cattle nutrition.

They feed a lot of farm raised fish soy beans. Who wants a cow that taste like soy?

SirLoin":2ts7a4w3 said:
:lol: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:, "Pi$$ing your money away" really means increasing profit, increasing ADG, and decreasing the time it took to get the beef to market weight.

Are you really increasing your profit by dumping all that protein to your animals? I have never seen an operation that could run at peak profitability with poor quality hay and pouring grain and protein to the animals. I guess maybe we should bow down to you??? :roll:

SirLoin":j573x913 said:
papavillars":j573x913 said:
WOW, don't hold back say what you really mean

I'm not real sure I can see where getting cattle to consume more "cheap hay" will really help with ADG. Usually it just makes them crap more, causing more" PITA" work. Please educate me ........... :tiphat:

SirLoin":ijjzd27b said:

Sorry you missed out. Apparently you didn't go back and read ruminant nutrition 101. You can feed that animal all the excessive protein feed you want, with a TDN of 90% and it won't increase ADG one ounce. It will put a strain on the rumen, the liver and the kidneys. Actually a very good chance your cattle will "back up" rather than progress. If you want to know exactly how much protein you're overfeeding draw some blood, send it to a lab and tell them to test the BUN...(Blood urea nitrogen). That's where the excess nitrogen hangs out waiting on its trip thru the kidneys, the bladder and then onto the ground. Best Wishes Sir Loin.