I thought you might like to see the growing ration I feed.

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Looks like a very cheap feed that utilizes "Grain By-products" instead of real grain.

The 4th most abundant ingredient in the feed comes from a paper mill?

lignin sulfonate
–noun Chemistry. a brown powder consisting of a sulfonate salt made from waste liquor of the sulfate pulping process of soft wood: used in concrete, leather tanning, as an additive in oil-well drilling mud

"Roughage Products" could be anything from pine straw to wood bark.

Trash feed.....................................................

Looks like a typical "Creep" type feed and I guarantee it's not 10% fat....barely 3%. And 22.5% fiber is rediculous. As mentioned earlier it will be "low cost, low quality" roughage....Most feeds no longer list ingredients in descending order reflecting the amount of that ingredient in the feed but in random order really reflecting nothing.... You can bet the calcium is maxed out as it's cheap....Lignin sulfonate is the actual pellet binder included and the molassses product is the carrier for the lignin. Other than that the guarantee does not disclose all that much. Wouldn't even be a legal tag here in Texas.... Everything else is the vitamins and minerals.

Feed companies do have to meet certain requirements but if they fail a test they usually simply get a letter and will file it away. I'm sure everyone fails one sooner or latter but cna't imagine a mill giving himself a 7% leeway especially on "fat" which is the most expensive ingredient in the feed. Only source of "oil" I see anywhere is "MINERAL OIL" which is a petroleum based product and has no nutritional value whatsoever. Hope you're not paying much for this.

TN....everything else aside...that's really a good price regardless of what's in it. Although fillers are often used and most have little protein the expensive stuff has to be put in at higher levels in order to get back up to your desired protein levels, etc. That plus just about all grain by-products are costing $170 a ton and more makes it a good buy. For the heck of it I'd send a sample to a lab and have them do a "wet chemistry" test on it for protein, fat, fiber, TDN, Nel, ADF and NDF. Probalby cost $30....

Got some corn gluten feed last week for $185 a ton bulk but mix that with anykind of grain and you have well over $200 feed.

Today at the local elevator corn was $4.58 or about $164 a ton. Mix that in with corn gluten especially if you can get it for $185 a ton and i would think it would be cheaper.

This is the typical way for big grain processors to market the cull grain, dust, dirt, insects, and other junk they can't sell otherwise. Make it into a nice looking pellet held together with a little molasses. Sell it a little below what a custom mix would cost and producers gobble it up. I would pay a little more to get all good ingredients.

Cargill been letting some loads of corn gluten pellets out on the weekends for $105 . That's in Dayton Ohio so for anybody that can handle the freight that's fairly cheap .

Larry

larryshoat":3m6x6djj said:
Cargill been letting some loads of corn gluten pellets out on the weekends for $105 . That's in Dayton Ohio so for anybody that can handle the freight that's fairly cheap .

Larry

That's dirt cheap. At that price you could have them shipped half way across the country and still have a good buy.

Latest posts