I think it's pneumonia

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I have a six year old cow that I noticed was not acting normal on Sunday. I had just put in a new 50 bag of minerals on Saturday and 17 cows ate the whole thing in one day... I thought she might have just eaten herself into a stomach ache, so I didn't think much of it. The other cows were acting normal so I should have expected something other than the mineral but at the time I didn't. Anyway, by Sunday morning she had cold ears, dry nose, a temp a bit over 103 and labored breathing. She is kinda grunting to breathe. Sunday morning I gave her 30 cc Pen Aquos in 3 sites, 10cc each location. Seemed better (ate a few pounds choice calf hay and some grain) on Sunday night. Redosed her with 30 cc on Monday and Tuesday but now she seems to be slipping backwards. I called my vet and am waiting on a return call. I am looking for Micotil to give her. Any thoughts? Thanks-

An anti inflammatory would also go a long way to helping her feel better. You can see the results of that often times less than an hour after the shot. Have used Nuflor ~ have not used Naxel so I don't know on that one.

It amazes me, the number of folks here with lack of access to a good vet. I take it for granted, 3 respected large vet practices within an hour and a wife that can do almost anything that they can do, for a reduced rate.

For what it's worth, I'd give her the Micotil with a shot of banamine.

cfpinz

angie":2djt1ek9 said:
An anti inflammatory would also go a long way to helping her feel better. You can see the results of that often times less than an hour after the shot. Have used Nuflor ~ have not used Naxel so I don't know on that one.

The problem is that making them feel better with drugs doesn't cure the problem, and it generally masks the symptoms so you don't know until it's too late whether the cow is actually better or not.

milkmaid":1i8ypbe8 said:
angie":1i8ypbe8 said:

The problem is that making them feel better with drugs doesn't cure the problem, and it generally masks the symptoms so you don't know until it's too late whether the cow is actually better or not.

There is truth to that. That is the reason we don't give anti-inflammatory meds at our place to animals with injuries. Often times drugs mask the pain and the animal abuses injury and makes it worse. However, if it is an illness, we use anti-inflammatories.

I think cfpinz is right ~ she should have banamine.

angie":1tyfkjl1 said:
There is truth to that. That is the reason we don't give anti-inflammatory meds at our place to animals with injuries. Often times drugs mask the pain and the animal abuses injury and makes it worse. However, if it is an illness, we use anti-inflammatories.

Hopefully you only give anti-inflammatories such as Dex and Predef in conjunction with aggressive antibiotic therapy. Banamine is OK since it does not suppress the immune system like the corticosteriods, but it still should not be given alone in the case of illness; that would be treating the symptoms, not the problem.

But of course. Thats what I meant when I said "also" in orginal post. I meant an anti-inflammatory also/along with/in conjunction. Anti-inflammatory alone is useless.

cfpinz":3lmu2a5j said:
It amazes me, the number of folks here with lack of access to a good vet. I take it for granted, 3 respected large vet practices within an hour and a wife that can do almost anything that they can do, for a reduced rate.

cfpinz

Better watch it. I made a comment a couple of years ago about the availability of a good LA vet being one of the requirements for someone moving into t anew area to raise livestock and was hooted and yelled at for such a stupid idea.

dun":1mems7j9 said:
cfpinz":1mems7j9 said:

cfpinz

Better watch it. I made a comment a couple of years ago about the availability of a good LA vet being one of the requirements for someone moving into t anew area to raise livestock and was hooted and yelled at for such a stupid idea.

I had a good large animal vet back when I had the dairy. I called him this morning and he quit LA in May. So anyway, current vet is going on vacation so is too busy to come and see my cow today... Whatever. She gave me 50cc NuFlor and I will give 4 injections of 15cc each SQ tonight. Vet said wait 1-2 days and start on Naxel if needed. Here goes nuthin'.

I have had good luck w/ Nuflor , Dex & Banamine this year. The only thing I have noticed is that these agressive antibiotics & Nuflor) are harder on their stomachs that Pen or LA. Be sure to get a tube of probiotic paste & give her a few doses while she is being treated. Don't bother with the powdered stuiff for the feed. They aren't crazy about it. With the gel you know she got the correct dose. If your vet can't get you what you need, ask him to write you a prescription & you can order it online & have it sent next day air. If you wait until the end of the week that can be a problem. Please keep us updated.

The old girl is NOT responding to treatment. I gave 60cc Nuflor SQ on Wednesday evening. That's all the vet had. I asked her to write me a prescription so I could get more and she said it was not her policy to write prescriptions... (Read that she wants to be the one to sell it to me.) Anyway, she is out of Nuflor and on vacation for 10 days. Please don't say, "Call another vet" because there isn't one. I have a 100 cc bottle of Naxel (from the vet) and will give 20 cc tonight. I'm starting to think this isn't pneumonia. Cow still has a temp of 102 +/-, cold ears, dry nose and no appetite. She is still having labored breathing and I haven't seen her lay down in 4 days. I was also thinking of giving her a magnet just for kicks but hardware doesn't explain the other symptoms. I vaccinated her about a month ago with Traingle 9 Plus something. The guy I bought her from NEVER vaccinated her... Any ideas?

triangle is it ML or killed?
If ML it could have exasperated PI complications.
Is she bred? Could she have slipped the calf and not pass it?
HAving the cow taking in cold water could set the calf moving and you could see if it is alive ...if it is big enough without a palp. Just thinking out loud.
I'm thinking out loud again...a chronic pnemonia that was not treated well sometime in her life...may be requiring draxin or excede...
no more brain farts so stumped like you... maybe PM a vet on board to get help? Ho there goes that out loud thinking again

She's not really running a fever then, so a bacterial infection may not be the problem. Hardware, blockage, LDA, hernia, there's some ideas for you. What's her manure like? drinking water? Grunting and labored breathing doesn't always mean it's a respiratory problem... general pain can cause that too.

And FYI, 30cc's Penn isn't enough for a mature cow, for future reference. Double it.