I think I'll rant a bit

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
When did this Christmas shifting begin? When I was younger, we showed up at the folk's place on Christmas Eve and had Christmas. Then we went to a relative's house on Christmas Day for lunch and spent the day playing cards or dominos and just visiting and eating. Now we have 'Christmas' on the weekend closest to the 25th! Or, like my sister, two weeks before because one of her kids was moving out of state. I know times change, but let me go on record that I don't like it. :cry:

Hah! Same here...My mother held Christmas on Christmas eve...When she died I did Christmas on Christmas eve......for years.....then my youngest brother got married and his wife wanted to do Christmas on Christmas day which threw a screw into things...and then it was I will have Christmas then U have Christmas then...this year my sis decides it is her turn and it will be Sunday past. and then there was to be a storm so she canceled it AFTER I, being the only one with livestock, have thawed out the turkey. So I cooked the damn turkey for hubby and I and then she phones and changed her dinner to boxing day. I say what? I thought Christmas was canceled this year? NO NO NO she says, I knew you were mad....so I made it for a more convenient day...I should have said I have plans but she was astute enough not to ask for another turkey.......So.......the commercialization of Christmas has hit new levels!

Other than that: Merry Christmas to y'all!

I think it's because families no longer live in a close knit community but are spread across a continent.

Some People don't appreciate family traditions/the holidays like they use to, and Christmas too commercialized anymore that to many its all about getting gifts.

I for one, love family traditions, I have tried to keep as many going that we all did when I was a kid, with my own kids. Plus make up a few new ones along the way.

GMN

we celebrate christmas with a light meal on christmas eve, listen to music, etc, light the tree (we do use candles), then on christmas is a day of lazing around, followed by some big meal in the evening... I'm going up there in an hour, you won't hear from me much in til monday.. hope you can all survive that :p

Oh, and since when did christmas start the day after halloween???.. I'm completely opposed to commecials, etc with christmas carols, and such before december 1st.. if I had my way I'd ban using the word christmas from the airwaves until december 1st.. I find it doesn't "get you in the spirit".. it dilutes the meaning of it.. I personally could care less about christmas, but only because of it's commercialization...

How much have I spent on christmas this year? umm.. about 50 bucks.. i probably make scrooge look good :p

Nesikep":2lwc7k4e said:
How much have I spent on christmas this year? umm.. about 50 bucks.. i probably make scrooge look good :p

That's 50 more then I've spent..............for probably the last 50 chrismas's

I remember as a kid having Clam Chowder at Grandma's house on Christmas Eve and opening all of our prsents there. The next morning on Christmas we would just get stuffed stockings, then everybody would gather together and have a huge dinner.
Too bad it is turning into a materialistic, gimme, gimme day.

well, at least there's someone here that makes me look generous :p I hate buying knick-knacks, I like getting something people can use (like a bottle of wine or whiskey), and I definitely will never buy a cd of christmas music.

well for christmas the wife and I usually do what we do every other day we might go visit mom and this yr dinner is on Saturday I have 2 sisters that can't get here til Friday so we waited for them I don't have a prob with that
The only one we buy presents for is our 13 yr old daughter and the Grand kids but that is minimal
The way we look at it is it isn't about the commercialization it is about Christ
We are not catholic but we do go to christmas mass some yrs at the local catholic church with some friends
other than that x-mas is just another day

After years of being away..shouldn't complain, spent many christmas without family. Now the children are grown and we schedule them...so Chirstmas will be on the 26th here...doesn't bother me too much, son and son-in-law have jobs that make them work on Christmas, sooo...I will have extended and Extended Christmas, started today with visiting the extended family (grandparents, sisters..) We are the ones that live out of town, so I can't complain.
It does take the real "family feeling" out of it, sometimes works out to be alot of extra activities and cooking. It will be interesting to see how it changes through the years. Merry Christmas to everyone :santa:

Cmon Nesikep who can resist the CD "It's A Cow Christmas." :lol2: :lol2: Husbands stocking stuffer.
I was hoping to miss one tradtion that was started quite a few years ago, but I guess not. I caught another cold. :roll:

Have a Merry Christmas everyone. :D :D

Well, whenver or however you celebrate Christmas, I hope it's a safe and Merry one. The weather is wonderful here today. Sunny, temp is supposed to get into the 60s, a bit windy....but this is Oklahoma. We're having CAB ribeyes for dinner tonight. Christmas will show up here on Saturday and the traditional eating will start then. :)

Frankie":2686itzz said:
Well, whenver or however you celebrate Christmas, I hope it's a safe and Merry one. The weather is wonderful here today. Sunny, temp is supposed to get into the 60s, a bit windy....but this is Oklahoma. We're having CAB ribeyes for dinner tonight. Christmas will show up here on Saturday and the traditional eating will start then. :)

Frankie, check that barbwire, gotta be a hole in it somewhere the way the wind has been blowing lately. :lol2:
Oh, and take a plank out of the water headgate, let some thru for the folks down here. ;-)

Y'all have a good celebration!

From the windblown, parched but chilly Central Texas. :santa:

If it's such an inconvience, why not just gracefully decline? That's what I'd do! Tell whomever you have your own family plans, and start your own tradition! I think people do things because they are afraid of making a mother, sister, brother in law, whatever, mad at them! So? What's more important.. spending quality time with your own family, or making sure someone likes you?

Having said that, if it wasn't for us being the only family my mother has close, we'd go to the beach for a day on Christmas! I'm not a big traditionalist.. bah humbug! We haven't bought gifts for many years either.

Merry Christmas y'all!

I hear you. Everyone is so busy. We have to fit in so much. Family is spread out. Need to go to the inlaws one day, other inlaws the other, then if you have step parents or divorced parents, well there is time there, so many places we have to go in order to please everyone.

We open gifts on Christmas morning. This year, I went to the nursing home and got the folks. It was an adventure with a fold up wheelchair, incontinent pads and extra clothing. I had to use those things, too. Mom ate a lot of food, though, and I delivered them back to the home by five. When I got here back, my MIL and step daughter and her BF were there. I was thankful to see them leave. Non stop eating and mess making. I always feel like the maid.

Now, the only thing I have left to tackle is the tree and indoor decoratins. Steve will take care of the outside of the house. Taking down the tree really depresses me.

New Years mean new beginnings. I hope 2009 is better.

Lammie":1h47tipj said:
We open gifts on Christmas morning. This year, I went to the nursing home and got the folks. It was an adventure with a fold up wheelchair, incontinent pads and extra clothing. I had to use those things, too. Mom ate a lot of food, though, and I delivered them back to the home by five. When I got here back, my MIL and step daughter and her BF were there. I was thankful to see them leave. Non stop eating and mess making. I always feel like the maid.

Now, the only thing I have left to tackle is the tree and indoor decoratins. Steve will take care of the outside of the house. Taking down the tree really depresses me.

I'm sure you folks appreciated it a whole bunch and thats what counts. When they are not with you anymore, you can look back and remember the times you did all the extra things to make their lives alot more happier.

Best wishes to you in 2009.

Gail

Lammie":1q8x7vwd said:

I really like Christmas trees. It is much too early to take it down. Keep it up as long as possible.

Too late, Ryder. I took it down a little while ago and was preparing to find a boy somewhere around this place to help me drag to the attic. I have been leaving it up until New Years since I married again, but it used to be that on the 26th it all came down. I did leave out the stuff on the mantle for now and the lights are still working on the house. We'll light it up for New Years.

This is the time of year that depresses me. I had a Grandma and a brother that died around Christmas, not the same year, but this time of year. The end of the year seems to be a time of reflection for me and I remember all the wonderful Christmasses of the past, and the not so good ones. And, of course, to look back on the year passing and to look forward to a fresh start.

Me too Lammie, this time of year is always hard for me but each year it gets better.. My birthdays a week after new years are the worst though, and not for the obvious DO NOT want to get older reasons..he

Our tree is still up ,as it took me around 4 hours to decorate and is very very pretty, first live tree we've had in ages ..So I am keeping it up as long as I can..

I ordered a new fancy litter box for the shop cats and when I wished the gal on the order line a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year she stuttered for a moment and then said " Well a very Merry Christmas to you as well, thank you for that, as I have yet to hear it this holiday season ." She said it to me again before we finally both hung up. :) I made a point of saying it to everyone that I came across this year, one repied Happy Hanuka and that was fine by me.. :santa: