I think I won a convert

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Our vet has been a die hard black Angus breeder since he was a kid. Every year for the a past 7-8 years he has bought Red Angus steers from us for his daughters to show as market steers and they have showed several of our heifers through the years. Last year he bought a Red Angus heifer for his oldest daughter to show. He's worked with us with our Red Angus for 15-16 years or so. Today we were just yacking and he said "I'm really liking these Red Angus". He's now looking for another Red Angus show heifer for his next in line daughter.

Congrats. The jury is still out on my RA heifers. Hopefully they will have calves by Sensational in 2 weeks and then I can start to decide what I think of them.

I don't have any Angus, so I don't have a dog in the hunt, but it makes sense to me that the folks raising the red ones would have needed to cull hard and raise superior cattle in recent years just to stay in business.

Next thing I know, you're going to be telling me Jeff has bought a Model A for his vet truck...

And I still haven't forgot about him pouring antifreeze all over me.

cfpinz":3pcpe5ft said:
Next thing I know, you're going to be telling me Jeff has bought a Model A for his vet truck...

And I still haven't forgot about him pouring antifreeze all over me.

He's even given up on gets his old 50s vintage chevy truck running. As to the other, "It builds character"

The reds are taking over in my area, the local buyers seek them and baldies out hard. Very few baldies left, everyone is scared of Herf, but they're buying those RA heifers and bulls like they're going out of style. They most all look and perform good too.

dun":39wofjq4 said:
Our vet has been a die hard black Angus breeder since he was a kid. Every year for the a past 7-8 years he has bought Red Angus steers from us for his daughters to show as market steers and they have showed several of our heifers through the years. Last year he bought a Red Angus heifer for his oldest daughter to show. He's worked with us with our Red Angus for 15-16 years or so. Today we were just yacking and he said "I'm really liking these Red Angus". He's now looking for another Red Angus show heifer for his next in line daughter.
Congrats Dun! Red Angus is my first love too. :banana: A neighbor has a huge all Red herd that's beginning to calf, one of the most beautiful sights I've seen in my entire life is his pasture filled to the brim with Red mammas & new babies!

cfpinz":1f424fau said:
I'm just glad it was only antifreeze.
Cfpinz, saw your post & 'Tightwad' avatar. Was wondering if you've ever eaten at Charley's Buffet? It's not far from your neck of the woods. It's closed for the winter, but I think opens back up in March. One of my favorite places to eat :D

reeler":1a9y27g7 said:
cfpinz":1a9y27g7 said:
Cfpinz, saw your post & 'Tightwad' avatar. Was wondering if you've ever eaten at Charley's Buffet? It's not far from your neck of the woods. It's closed for the winter, but I think opens back up in March. One of my favorite places to eat :D

I actually live in Virginia (can't say that I'm real proud of that these days) but travel thru Missouri a good bit. Hadn't heard of Charley's so I had to look it up, might have to add that to my list of stops next time I'm out that way!

cfpinz":3d7rorp1 said:
Hadn't heard of Charley's so I had to look it up, might have to add that to my list of stops next time I'm out that way!
When is that going to be?

cfpinz":11oqgow8 said:
reeler":11oqgow8 said:
cfpinz":11oqgow8 said:

I actually live in Virginia (can't say that I'm real proud of that these days) but travel thru Missouri a good bit. Hadn't heard of Charley's so I had to look it up, might have to add that to my list of stops next time I'm out that way!
Charley's is a wonderful place to eat, but only open on Friday & Saturday nights, from around march to november, so call before you head out there! Problem is sometimes the line is Extremely long, I've waited over an hour,But it was worth the wait! The food was originally all cooked by the Amish, not sure if that's still the case. I haven't been there in a while.Just thinking about it makes my mouth water :) Hope you get to try it.

frieghttrain":3tbtqh4w said:
tdc_cattle":3tbtqh4w said:
What's the difference in red and black angus.
Color.
That's one difference. Another is the attitude of how to improve the Red Angus breed. Rather then live on the glory of black, they have striven to improve the breed and have also allowed breeding up. The breeding up I tink has allowed a wider selection of genetics to be used for actual improvement.

Latest posts