I think I set another record :(

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
We did so good working cattle the other day.
One of the guys I consult for wanted me to come work his herd today. 17 pairs and two bulls. This guy is scared of his cows. The set up is junk. The cows know they can do whatever they want, they also don't like the fact that I don't let them get away with anything.
The calves got two shots, ear tagged,and poured. The cows got two shots and poured.
IT TOOK THREE FLIPPING HOURS!
One cow jumped out. One cow went CRAZY. I ended up sorting her off and put her in the fat pen. She can go get her head cut off. I don't put up with that.
The calves worked fairly well, but their only 200lbs avg. Should be a real rodeo when we cut them this fall.

Poor working facilities lead to bad experiences that the cows remember the next time they are worked. Some people put a lot of thought into their setup and some not so much. When it gets to be a rodeo, there can be a lot of excitement for all involved.

Good times.
Good times.

Why not just band em when ya worked em?
It was all alley work. He didn't have his chute set up. And I didn't have any help to tail them. Last year I cut and implanted the bull calves when I did his spring work.

When I was twenty years younger I didn't mind a little excitement. Now it just ticks me off that people keep bad actors.

T
Poor working facilities lead to bad experiences that the cows remember the next time they are worked. Some people put a lot of thought into their setup and some not so much. When it gets to be a rodeo, there can be a lot of excitement for all involved.
That's the craziest part about this place. Back in the 70's they kept around 600 hd on feed. There is concrete yards and bunk feeders, silos and a concrete bunker. All the original gates are 6' high made out of oak 2x8's. It would have been the best of the best 40 years ago. A good cattle person doesn't have to look around very long to see that this place was made to handle a lot of spooky fat cattle.
The next generation shows no interest in farming and so the facilities haven't been improved apron.

Latest posts