I think I have been had by this cow again!

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
I am expecting a cow to calf within 2 weeks but she doesn't look preg to me. She was blood tested positive 35 days after being bred. although last year the same thing and no calf.

I am contemplating weither to do a rectal palp on her today. If she is that far along I would think that it should be an easy detect, even for a novice like me. My only concern is will it have any negative effect or damage on a calf if present. As for the cow it is halter broke and I don't believe it will be stressed to much or very minimal.

seeking opinions on too or not? the benefit to me as I can start feeding a bit differently. and might be a little bit easier doing chores.

No I have not observed a heat out of any of the animals but I didn't last year either. And I thought she would show more sign by now if she was preg

Sleeve up and do a rectal on her. That won;t have any affect on the calf.

Some get bigger than others, but she should be looking pregnant this close to calving. If you're not really sure about checking one, I would have a vet check her and know for sure, especially if she didn't have a calf last year. If she's not bred, I would send her to town and get some money to use towards a replacement that will raise you a calf.

That close to due date you should be able to bump the calf. Go to her right side. Make a fist and push. If there is a calf you more than likely feel it. Do it all the time on ours.

Good luck.

im with farmgirl try bumping her and you should be able to feel the calf.we always bumped our milk cows.only palpating if we couldnt feel a calf.

tried to bump the calf not sure if I am doing it right, it wasn't obvious that she was or wasn't-so I gloved up and palpated and I believe there is a calf. I would say I am confident in that answer. so that's that!

Just happened to find this in a search, but it gives a decent picture of where to bump

http://familycow.proboards.com/thread/26032

I stick my thumb out like I'm pushing a thumb tack into a wall and bump with my thumb, in a few quick pokes. Gotta move around a bit, but you should be able to hit something in a long bred cow easy enough, kind of an up and in motion.

what gives you that impression wbvs?
Neskip- you can bet if shes open-shes getting wheels giving! I am going to a stronger cull program, I think I have been to easy and forgiving with them :lol2:

she is 6 to 7 months bred if you felt the calf by bumping her.if we could bump a pretty big calf in a cow we dryed her up.

BryanM":1ufg9qtq said:
what gives you that impression wbvs?
Neskip- you can bet if shes open-shes getting wheels giving! I am going to a stronger cull program, I think I have been to easy and forgiving with them :lol2:
She has "form", let you down last year and with 2 weeks to due date you are not seeing what you are expecting to see and you are starting to think negatively. I do hope I am wrong and that she is just a bit late. I always say where there is smoke there is fire.
Ken

Latest posts