I sure do hate it..

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I hate when my wife is right ... We decided to put trails on some of our land to ride on because we plan on getting kids go carts for Christmas so only loader at home was the one I just bought. her job was too use the box blade behind me as I cleared the trails she tells me umm.. remember when you bought it the track needed to be tightened I said yea but it will be fine for this she said you better just tighten it and wait I said just follow me... all was good no problem got up on a incline and there goes the track :oops: :oops: she looked at me and I said don't even say it so as she drove off to finish her job she was :lol2: while I called one of the guys to bring a backhoe down to help me. :mad: the trails are looking good though and also a major plus is deer will start walking them ;-) who knows I may spill some clover on the trails after its all done 8)

Our JD 350 does that too, only the left track, and it's tighter than the right one.

I've gotten good at getting it back on... a piece of chain around the bucket and to the track makes it go pretty easy... Now you know why the "handles" on the bucket have a grab hook for a chain built in!

That picture brings up bad bad memory from my youth Sky.....

When brother and I were about 15-16, (1965) my father contracted a good friend of his to bring his old Alis Chalmers cable blade dozer here and do some work. We lived 50 miles away, and the deal was the operator would come by the house each morning (except Sunday) and pick us up and we'd ride up here with and help him. The dozer wasn't big enough to push large white oaks over without a lot of digging around the rootball, so we had an old 8n For with a Dearborn FEL and brushfork on the loader. Brother and I would drive up to a big tree, with a long 3/4" or 1" cable and hook, attach the cable to the tree as high as the loader would go--one driving and the other hooking up. We'd then attach the other end of the cable to the pin in the dozer's drawbar. He'd get that tree rocking back and forth and it would come down, more often than not, splintering off right above the ground.

One day he was rocking one down near the river, the ground was sand, and his tracks were slipping. He settled that dozer right down on a stump between the 2 big crossmembers in the back. Couldn't go fwd because of the tension on the cable from the bent over tree and couldn't go backwards because of the cross members. We couldn't pull the pin out of the crossbar--too much tension.
Ended up cutting the tree down with a crosscut saw. (Dad didn't own a chainsaw in those days--- "too expensive, won't hurt you boys to use that crosscut saw none".)

No greasegun adjustment on that old thing--a big bolt and nut adjustment, but it had long ago reached it's limit and he had cut a bunch of 1/4" thick "c" shaped shims to drive in behind the nut. About every 4th shoe was missing off the track too. Still couldn't get off the stump and he kept swiveling around and next thing you know, threw one of those old worn out tracks. Trudge back to the truck to get a big hyd jack, crawl under and start jacking it up and jack goes down into the ground--back to the truck and get a big piece af plate to put under the jack. Jack it up, both of us get under there with that same crosscut saw and go to work on the stump. It's August in East Texas, down in the woods, hot as heck and not a breeze blowing. Finally got the stump cut down, dam luck that dozer didn't settle down on top of us. Then got that worn out track pulled back on. We didn't accomplish much that day and was worn out puppies when we finally got home that night.

The previous owner of our Allis HD 6 told us a story... It was wintertime with a couple feet of snow, and he was driving it across a field, That thing can really move if you put it in 4th gear, about 12 MPH or so, and had his blade up. Between the snow being deep and the blade being up, he didn't see a stump and drove right up on it and high centered himself. Said it took a lot of fiddling to get it off. I think he managed with the 25,000 lb winch on the thing, by winching himself to the stump he was stuck on since there was no where else to winch to

Nesikep":2g2sn9h0 said:
Our JD 350 does that too, only the left track, and it's tighter than the right one.

I've gotten good at getting it back on... a piece of chain around the bucket and to the track makes it go pretty easy... Now you know why the "handles" on the bucket have a grab hook for a chain built in!

lol true

greybeard":2g2sn9h0 said:
That picture brings up bad bad memory from my youth Sky.....

When brother and I were about 15-16, (1965) my father contracted a good friend of his to bring his old Alis Chalmers cable blade dozer here and do some work. We lived 50 miles away, and the deal was the operator would come by the house each morning (except Sunday) and pick us up and we'd ride up here with and help him. The dozer wasn't big enough to push large white oaks over without a lot of digging around the rootball, so we had an old 8n For with a Dearborn FEL and brushfork on the loader. Brother and I would drive up to a big tree, with a long 3/4" or 1" cable and hook, attach the cable to the tree as high as the loader would go--one driving and the other hooking up. We'd then attach the other end of the cable to the pin in the dozer's drawbar. He'd get that tree rocking back and forth and it would come down, more often than not, splintering off right above the ground.

One day he was rocking one down near the river, the ground was sand, and his tracks were slipping. He settled that dozer right down on a stump between the 2 big crossmembers in the back. Couldn't go fwd because of the tension on the cable from the bent over tree and couldn't go backwards because of the cross members. We couldn't pull the pin out of the crossbar--too much tension.
Ended up cutting the tree down with a crosscut saw. (Dad didn't own a chainsaw in those days--- "too expensive, won't hurt you boys to use that crosscut saw none".)

No greasegun adjustment on that old thing--a big bolt and nut adjustment, but it had long ago reached it's limit and he had cut a bunch of 1/4" thick "c" shaped shims to drive in behind the nut. About every 4th shoe was missing off the track too. Still couldn't get off the stump and he kept swiveling around and next thing you know, threw one of those old worn out tracks. Trudge back to the truck to get a big hyd jack, crawl under and start jacking it up and jack goes down into the ground--back to the truck and get a big piece af plate to put under the jack. Jack it up, both of us get under there with that same crosscut saw and go to work on the stump. It's August in East Texas, down in the woods, hot as heck and not a breeze blowing. Finally got the stump cut down, dam luck that dozer didn't settle down on top of us. Then got that worn out track pulled back on. We didn't accomplish much that day and was worn out puppies when we finally got home that night.

:shock: I can understand why you said bad bad memory wow that would really suck pretty badly

Latest posts