I stand corrected.......

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I discover there is a breed that has the heat tolerance of the Zebu, quality grades like an Angus, yield grades like a limousin. Is so consistent that EPDs are no longer required, never have calving problems, are just as at home on the range or the milking parlor. Seems the only problem this purest of breeds has is that pesky mutant color gene that comes out black every once in a while.
I guess we should all just cut the heads off of all those other unpure breeds.

dun

Cattle Rack Rancher":1l0tabu9 said:
I must have missed the earlier post. What the heck are you talking about?

me too. can you fill us in dun? at least give us a hint as to which post to look at?

Cattle Rack Rancher":2u22xt9i said:
I must have missed the earlier post. What the heck are you talking about?
I am still trying to figure that out also. His spelling is fairly correct. Very few typo's. Dun doesn't appear to be stutttering. My first guess must be wrong.

I just figured it out.
Dun was up to late last night eating cheese nachos and burritos.

Actaully it was 2 days riding a field cultivaotr and 2 more disking. I thought it was/is fairly obvious what I'm referring to...

dun

la4angus":y5k3uy9s said:
I just figured it out.
Dun was up to late last night eating cheese nachos and burritos.

dun":831s7ra4 said:
Actaully it was 2 days riding a field cultivaotr and 2 more disking. I thought it was/is fairly obvious what I'm referring to...

dun

not to me, but i've been kind of hit-and-miss on checking in lately & not reading all the posts.....maybe i missed it?

Think he is making jest of some Angus breeders. Or he might be talking about Waygu also know as Kobe beef.

Or most likely he is pulling our leg.

I think he is talking about those pesky german and swiss breed of cattle. Depends on the region they come from what they are called or the color of their hide. Brown cow, gold cow, simmital. The american version may not look like their cousins in europe.

pat

dun":2brbnq6a said:
I discover there is a breed that has the heat tolerance of the Zebu, quality grades like an Angus, yield grades like a limousin. Is so consistent that EPDs are no longer required, never have calving problems, are just as at home on the range or the milking parlor. Seems the only problem this purest of breeds has is that pesky mutant color gene that comes out black every once in a while.

dun

FYI the braunvieh breed has won more carcasss contests in this country in the last ten years than any other breed . and they are outstanding females . several years ago they used a heard of braunviehs for a beef cattle improvement study in south africa , the braunvieh outpreformed all other breeds, and when done the same animals were converted to milk production and became one of the top dairy heards in the country. these cattle are in more countries than any other breed in the world. they are extemly adaptable and are going to be a big part of the future of the US cattle industry.

IT MUST BE THIS POST........ :shock: :shock:

dun":2ned5f0z said:

dun

I think it was this post from a few days ago from "cow puncher" that put the burr under his saddle.

;-)

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:30 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the reason DUN likes large gene pools is because angus cattle are not a single breed any more , he has to rely on EPDs because their is so much genetic veriation of traits within the breed that you can no longer trust the breed itself to perpetuiat its original traits ,exept black, IE you can get an angus bull who will throw 70 lb calves and you can get an angus bull that will yeild like a charolais, you can have 900 lb angus cattle down south and you can go to MT or NB and get 1300 lb angus cows . this limits the usfulness of this breed for use in a well thought out cross breeding program, unless you like black .a small gene pool is a good thing , why yu ask ? because commercial cattleman have to utilize a cross breeding program it has been proven time and time again , with the more pure breeds , salars , braunvieh , fleck semmies , french charolais , nelore , gelbviehs , on and on you can select for traits that are more consistent and more heritable so you know that when you breed to a spotted up semmie bull youll wean a 750 lb calf and when you breed to a nelore youll get one of the most effecient females in the world , you see the smaller the gene pool the more matched pairs of chromosomes. this my friend will insur traits are passed along CONSISTENTLY . but you have to think about haw you use these traits , you cant run out and breed a belgium blue bull to a red angus heffier .

WORANCH":2z8t82m8 said:
dun":2z8t82m8 said:

dun

FYI the braunvieh breed has won more carcasss contests in this country in the last ten years than any other breed . and they are outstanding females . several years ago they used a heard of braunviehs for a beef cattle improvement study in south africa , the braunvieh outpreformed all other breeds, and when done the same animals were converted to milk production and became one of the top dairy heards in the country. these cattle are in more countries than any other breed in the world. they are extemly adaptable and are going to be a big part of the future of the US cattle industry.

this post was also by cow puncher

WO you're right, both posts were from "cow puncher". Dun sure didn't cotton to his thoughts, I haven't seen this side of him before. Ha. I guess we all have our limits!

;-)

WORANCH":2spq5lxl said:
WORANCH":2spq5lxl said:
dun":2spq5lxl said:

dun

this post was also by cow puncher

TLCfromARK":1m48ou1y said:
dun":1m48ou1y said:

dun

I think it was this post from a few days ago from "cow puncher" that put the burr under his saddle.

;-)

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:30 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the reason DUN likes large gene pools is because angus cattle are not a single breed any more , he has to rely on EPDs because their is so much genetic veriation of traits within the breed that you can no longer trust the breed itself to perpetuiat its original traits ,exept black, IE you can get an angus bull who will throw 70 lb calves and you can get an angus bull that will yeild like a charolais, you can have 900 lb angus cattle down south and you can go to MT or NB and get 1300 lb angus cows . this limits the usfulness of this breed for use in a well thought out cross breeding program, unless you like black .a small gene pool is a good thing , why yu ask ? because commercial cattleman have to utilize a cross breeding program it has been proven time and time again , with the more pure breeds , salars , braunvieh , fleck semmies , french charolais , nelore , gelbviehs , on and on you can select for traits that are more consistent and more heritable so you know that when you breed to a spotted up semmie bull youll wean a 750 lb calf and when you breed to a nelore youll get one of the most effecient females in the world , you see the smaller the gene pool the more matched pairs of chromosomes. this my friend will insur traits are passed along CONSISTENTLY . but you have to think about haw you use these traits , you cant run out and breed a belgium blue bull to a red angus heffier .

I think you are 100% correct

WORANCH":1xy127zy said:
dun":1xy127zy said:

dun

should be, but we have to recognize that Braunvieh cattle carcasses are well balance, just as Normande, Tarentaise and South Devons

Latest posts