I screwed up, again

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
If it's not one thing it's another, checking on previous sick cow this morning I noticed her bull calf limping, also noticed the fly rub was torn down at the barn overhang area that I like to keep it (out of rain). One of the cows is coming back in heat and the bull is getting rowdy.

What they like to do mid day is get in the barn/stall area out of the sun, it is only 12x24 open on one long side and they get under there and some lay down. Lately the 3 calves have been going in there too, well it's too crowded and I just was not thinking, sure enough, here he is limping this morning. With the bull chasing one or more cows around I was asking for trouble.

I guess I will have to lock them out of the whole holding pen area and move the water tank. Anyway, I see no obvious swelling, and it's not just dangling there, but he sure looks sore when he's walking. I'm not sure whether to call a vet or not, we are at least 20 minutes from any vet. I did not have time before work to move the tank so I will have to do any adjustments tonight before my son's baseball game. I sure do like the pastures with the ponds better, much easier.

Any advice on what to look for tonight when I get home, I guess I could try putting a rope on his neck and tying him to a tree while I check him, I don't have a really good place to work on the calves yet. I don't want to put too much stress on his leg. I had a heifer before that got bruised and limped for a month.

When I have an animal limping, and there is no obvious sign of injury, it's my usual practice to leave it alone for a few days and see if it gets better on it's own. If it hasn't improved in 3 or 4 days, then take a look. Others may disagree.

Id leave him be . i mean what you going do once you rope him. Surgery? ;-) ...means im just kidding. Your more likely to do harm than good

Unless you have plans to take him to the vet if he isn't getting better, I don't see much point in roping him.. If anything, try and get him and momma to a spot that's quiet and they don't need to walk too much, make sure he's eating and as active as you'd expect him to be, but otherwise I wouldn't bother with him much.

Cows will find ways to hurt themselves... it happens... I don't know how, but today one of my biggest steers hurt his eye somehow.. it's swollen up pretty good, don't know if he got something in it or if he got his eyebrow bashed in a fight... he's none too friendly, but I might see if I can take a look tomorrow.

I like to give calves an option of their own space when in confined areas like that. Put up some panels with a hole only big enough that they can get through, so they can still get in and be safe (er). Cows are tougher and can take the heat/rain/snow or whatever else, but if a calf wants in to lay down, I'd rather they have the space, more so in the cold/wet months.

Surprisingly it doesn't take them very long to find it, and they don't need to be very old, so even better when they are that young that they are out from under foot.

Latest posts