I never have the money when I need it

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Just took the oldest daughter and yougest son to the stockyard. I met a man who was selling his entire herd, bulls and all, because of the drought. Ofcourse, I don't have the money to buy any now, but I sure wish I did. Here's some of what was sold in the 2 hours before we left:

1. hereford cows, 3 in 1's with tigerstripe/braford calves on their side all of them were 3 to 6 years old. Average price was $977

2. Brangus cows, with black calves on their side, 4 to 5 years old. Average price $844 for the pairs

3. Braford heifer calves weighing 200 to 300 pounds; average price $216

4. brangus heifers weighing 240 to 350 pounds; average price $263.

I would have bought some of the hereford 3 n 1's and Brangus pairs if I had the money. Some of their calves would bring over half of the purchase price in just a couple of months.

I went out scoping the prices before I bring in my calves.

My wife hates it when I go to sales like that :)

After the big drought here, females with ear couldn't be bought that following year. Way too many folks cut to the bone or sold out.

If you have some that you can hold, they may go for a premium next spring - if it does the same there that it did here.

backhoeboogie":26amdsj5 said:
My wife hates it when I go to sales like that :)

After the big drought here, females with ear couldn't be bought that following year. Way too many folks cut to the bone or sold out.

If you have some that you can hold, they may go for a premium next spring - if it does the same there that it did here.

backhoe,

I've really been giving that some thought - holding all of my heifers unitil next spring some time and sell in one of the "replacement" sales. I have enough steers to pay off my farm note for the year - I might just come out better in the long run. So many people have been selling because of the drought - which is unusual for our part of Louisiana. The steers, however, (4 to 5 weights) are still bringing good - which tells me that the feedlots are still buying, but the market for cows is flooded because of the rain problem. Maybe we'll get some relief, 60% chance of rain today through Thursday here.

It's a good thing I didn't have any money, because I'd be running back there with my trailer now :nod: I still a good bit of bahia, so I'm not in bad shape so far - most around here have bermuda (like my dad's) and they are suffering for it.

By the way, you know me backhoe, everything I have has ear ;-)

That's ok Cypress ol' buddy...If I'd been there with you we still wouldn't have had the money. ;-) ;-)

TexasBred":3uqzq5vm said:
That's ok Cypress ol' buddy...If I'd been there with you we still wouldn't have had the money. ;-) ;-)

ROTFLMAO!!!! Hey Texas Bred, anytime your in my area - I'll buy the drinks; I always keep enough money in the wallet for a longneck or two. You just holler and at least we can talk about what we want to do while sipping on something nice!

Cypress
I was gonna send ya some $$$ so the next time you run across them bargains we could clean house
Well I went out to the money tree and someone had dug it up I asked the wife what happened to it and she said must have happened about the same time her cleaning fairy disappeared

cypressfarms":1c6gl4x6 said:
TexasBred":1c6gl4x6 said:

ROTFLMAO!!!! Hey Texas Bred, anytime your in my area - I'll buy the drinks; I always keep enough money in the wallet for a longneck or two. You just holler and at least we can talk about what we want to do while sipping on something nice!

two?

cypressfarms":24d2c1gx said:
TexasBred":24d2c1gx said:

By golly that sounds just too good to pass up. I gotta find my way over to your neck of the woods asap. Times a wastin'.

TexasBred":13n8claj said:
cypressfarms":13n8claj said:
TexasBred":13n8claj said:

By golly that sounds just too good to pass up. I gotta find my way over to your neck of the woods asap. Times a wastin'.

See if you can beg, borrow.......... :secret: steal :secret: ..........some of them watering seeds before you get back. Did you see all of that grass in those pictures cypress posted. :shock:

1982vett":3rioterd said:
See if you can beg, borrow.......... :secret: steal :secret: ..........some of them watering seeds before you get back. Did you see all of that grass in those pictures cypress posted. :shock:

:lol2: , it's all bahia Vett. The bermuda died off about a week and a half ago. Yesterday and today we're getting rain, so I can't complain - after over 4 weeks without it's a nice sight.

I used to find bargains like that irresistible. Then paying $120 per ton for hay took away any chance of making a profit. Guess that's why people are forced to sell.

mnm there are lots of lessons learned on hay supply for me. It is better to have too much hay than to have too many cows.

There is also some 20/20 hindsight on drought and cattle prices. Especially for cows suitable for this climate.

cypressfarms":qdp450xp said:
1982vett":qdp450xp said:

:lol2: , it's all bahia Vett. The bermuda died off about a week and a half ago. Yesterday and today we're getting rain, so I can't complain - after over 4 weeks without it's a nice sight.

4 weeks, 28 days..........If only it would rain that often the bahia around here would still be alive.

I planted millet April 24th. June 30 it got its first rain since it came up. Don't know if I should risk turning the cows on what is left of it next week or plow it under and try starting over. Either way requires rain we are not getting. The rain skipped over about a 70 mile wide swath of Texas.

cypressfarms":1mf3nowr said:
1982vett":1mf3nowr said:

tis Ok Cypress...I was raised in East Texas. Bahia was the preferred grass....not that you had any choice. The dam stuff will grow thru a crack in the concrete..or make it's own crack.

Cypress I was in Dublin yesterday for some heifers to put on my nurse cow. I only stayed 4 hours and watch cows only. Don't know what time the calves started. Prices were off big time.

I picked up two nice split heifers out of aged brangus cows and got out of there. Each weighed 115 lbs. No navel cords on them. The nurse cow hasn't calved just yet but we're ready when she does. For now I am bottle feeding and that is entertaining for the wife and granchildren to watch :D One takes to the bottle okay but the other one is almost as stubborn as I am. It took me 12 minutes to feed them both the second time.

backhoeboogie":pnvu0wxn said:
Prices were off big time.

Uh Oh. I bring calves to the stockyard tomorrow. Even wih me selling a decent amount of calves for freezer beef, I still would like the stockyard price to be decent. We'll see.

Calves may have been good. I didn't stick around. The calves probably started about 7 p.m. or so and likely ran to the early morning hours. 4 or 5 hours at the sale barn is enough. That sale barn has run 18 hours at times.

There were good buys on heavy breds while I was there. The cows started and ran a few hours. They started slipping in a few pairs from the side alley about 2:45 or so as fillers. I jumped on the ones I wanted and left. Not a good way to buy cattle but time was a factor yesterday; the granbabies were coming to spend the night.

Latest posts