I need warm socks!

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
My pair of Wolverine boots are very durable and have steel toe, probably don't need the steel toe but my wife got em as a B-day present last year so I'm thankful for them. Anyway, they aren't very warm and I need some socks that will keep my dang toes from going numb! I've got these "smart wool" but they ain't doing the trick. Suggestions please.

Wear nylon dress socks under the wool. Helps wick moisture away from your feet. I have never had warm feet in any kind of boot except the Lacrosse rubber ones I am wearing now. Burly Pac or Alpha Burley. Never had cold or wet feet in several winters now.

Being female - I always have cold feet.
I found the best socks are the RedHeads from BassPro. The first time I saw them, I said "who in their right mind would pay $10 for a pair of socks??" Well, I got some for Xmas presents - they are awesome. Boots don't "EAT" them and they are warm. They are guaranteed for life - if you keep the receipt.
I do agree with wearing thin socks under warm ones. Does help.
I use RedHead thinsulated Rubber boots.

Socks won't help. I have tried all of the tricks. They don't work. My feet are always cold. I purchased steel toe work boots with thinsulate from Rocky Boots. I own 2 pairs. 400 thinsulate and 1200 thinsulate. The 1200 thinsulate make my feet too hot. I was out yesterday in 20 F for 3 hours standing in the snow. My feet were too hot. I recommend the 400 thinsulate from Rocky for temperatures 40-10 F. Below 10 I will go with the 1200 thinsulate. You can order either one of them from Cabelas. They cost $100.

That's my two cents

What you need is polyproplene thermal socks---they will even keep my feed warm in rubber non insulated boots, and they will keep you dry also. These are the type of thermals they issue the military--my husband swears by them. Sometimes you can find them at a sport/hunting shop or order on line. I've include a link I found on line.
http://www.polypropylenethermals.com/?g ... DQod4Uwalg

donnaIL":1zfc75gj said:
What you need is polyproplene thermal socks---they will even keep my feed warm in rubber non insulated boots, and they will keep you dry also. These are the type of thermals they issue the military--my husband swears by them. Sometimes you can find them at a sport/hunting shop or order on line. I've include a link I found on line.
http://www.polypropylenethermals.com/?g ... DQod4Uwalg
I wear this type of long Johns on the bottoms the tops atre too hot for me I will try those socks tho I have seen them but haven't bought any but this yr my feet freeze all the time

Everyone has their own idea I'll put mine out too.:) I have Hashimoto's which causes feet and hands to be really cold and on top of that I have nerve damage in one big toe. So my feet get cold fast and when they do that toe is in pain. I have found the trick is to layer. On a really cold day I will throw on a pair of nylons, then put on a pair of chenille socks followed by regular cotton tube socks. Then I throw on Heat Treat Toe Warmers. Here I get them at Mark's Work Wearhouse or Canadian Tire. They are great heat your feet right up for 6 hours. For boots I wear rubber boots with a liner.
Hope you find what works for you, nothing is worse than cold feet, makes the whole day long.

Sounds like you need to go up a size in your boot and put on another sock. Might be too tight - restricting decent blood flow.

Try drying your boots completely every night and airing them out when you stop for lunch.

Try electric socks - personally hate them but some friends tell me they are a God send if they will fit in the boot. They have some draw backs - but what does not?

Tennessee and cold feet?

Sorry - I cannot help smiling (a bit arrogantly I admit) about you suffering through some cool damp weather while my wife feeds the cows this morning in snow over her knees and expecting another six - 10 inches. She hopes temps stay above minus 35 as she tells me it has been a fairly cool winter.

Cheers

Bez+

dyates":3f7yde6w said:
Wear nylon dress socks under the wool. Helps wick moisture away from your feet. I have never had warm feet in any kind of boot except the Lacrosse rubber ones I am wearing now. Burly Pac or Alpha Burley. Never had cold or wet feet in several winters now.

You definitely need some kind of polypropylene sock to wick away the moisture as dyates said. It makes a world of difference for me.

Bez+":3f7yde6w said:
Sounds like you need to go up a size in your boot and put on another sock. Might be too tight - restricting decent blood flow.

Try drying your boots completely every night and airing them out when you stop for lunch.

Two additional points that also work well for me.

Bez+":1zw77jgp said:

Half a size or a whole size bigger is a big help in keeping your feet warm. I learned this many years ago when I accidently took my dad's pac boots hunting with me. They were a lot warmer than mine, but were exactly the same brand and model.

I used to duck hunt with a guy that took the elements out of an electric blanket and taped them inside a pair of heavy rubber pac boots. Each boot had a portion of an extension cord coming out that came together spliced into one cord with alligator clips on the end so it could be attached to a 12 volt battery. He said it worked pretty good. The only trouble he had was getting the temperature right. The shorter he made the elements the hotter it got. Those boots were quite a topic of conversation in the duck blind.

Maybe you should try the rubber bottom leather top boot with removable liners. Dry the liners daily. With these boots all you need is thin wool socks. Not much ruins a day outdoors quicker then being cold. And there ain't no need to be cold.

Bez+":2ga8e3b8 said:
Sorry - I cannot help smiling (a bit arrogantly I admit) about you suffering through some cool damp weather while my wife feeds the cows this morning in snow over her knees and expecting another six - 10 inches. She hopes temps stay above minus 35 as she tells me it has been a fairly cool winter.

Cheers

Bez+

Interesting you should mention your wife's feeding conditions. I was bitching to myself about the -17 degree temps - as well as the incessant wind, I might add - the other morning while I was feeding, and self immediately came back with the response of "it could be worse, you could live in Canada!" :lol: :lol: Yes, I carry on conversations with myself - that is what happens when one lives alone for too long, plus it is a great way to solve problems. ;-) :oops: :lol: .

I really think you need better boots, socks rarely help. Those tall Muck Boot brand boots or the military style Mickey Mouse boots are the warmest boots I have ever had. This time of year I wear those tall knee high Muck Boots in the deep snow and have them on from morning until night, they are like wearin tennis shoes they are so light and comfortable.

hayray":zc55w7os said:
I really think you need better boots, socks rarely help. Those tall Muck Boot brand boots or the military style Mickey Mouse boots are the warmest boots I have ever had. This time of year I wear those tall knee high Muck Boots in the deep snow and have them on from morning until night, they are like wearin tennis shoes they are so light and comfortable.
AGREE!!! I have both kinds. I have the lighter tall Muck boots for spring/fall weather.

I did not know there was a lighter tall pair, I will have to look into that because by the mud season I sure could use a pair of those.

msscamp":1ul2r6cd said:
Bez+":1ul2r6cd said:

Cheers

Bez+

Interesting you should mention your wife's feeding conditions. I was bitching to myself about the -17 degree temps - as well as the incessant wind, I might add - the other morning while I was feeding, and self immediately came back with the response of "it could be worse, you could live in Canada!" :lol: :lol: Yes, I carry on conversations with myself - that is what happens when one lives alone for too long, plus it is a great way to solve problems. ;-) :oops: :lol: .

Your are sooo bad.

I talk to myself every day - when you start answering - or listening for an answer - then you got probs.

Cheers

Bez+

I bought some socks from cabella that are gore tex lined and lined with 200 gram thinsulate insulation. They are totally water proof and fit over your normal wool socks like a booty. I then put my 400 gram georgia boots on over those and my toes or feet are no longer cold. I have worn them in 10 degree weather and they made my feet toasty. Without them my toes start hurting in 30 degree weather from the cold.

They are basically like these only mine are 200 gram instead of 100 gram like these.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

I think it's funny, all these guy's from down south crying about cold feet. :) I usually just wear a regular pair of socks and cowboy boots, and when it gets cold out I may put on a pair of wool socks. I don't know them from any other name, just wool socks. And when I work I wear steel toed boots, but then I have a problem of them getting to warm and my feet start to sweat. Then when I go outside my whole body get's cold. And they get pretty stinky at night when I take them off. :p

Latest posts