I need some serious help!

Help Support CattleToday:

cjpup

Reaction score
Hello,

We have never had cattle before but we do own donkeys and goats. We may be given an orphaned Buffalo Calf whose mother was slaughtered. Its a day old today. I need to know what to feed it, how much to feed it and how often to feed it. Im told there is no difference between a regular calf and a buffalo calf.

THANKS!
CHELSI
http://www.finepygmypals.com

cjpup":3re9pdqy said:
Hello,

We have never had cattle before but we do own donkeys and goats. We may be given an orphaned Buffalo Calf whose mother was slaughtered. Its a day old today. I need to know what to feed it, how much to feed it and how often to feed it. Im told there is no difference between a regular calf and a buffalo calf.

THANKS!
CHELSI
http://www.finepygmypals.com

Search it on google...and in the meantime, get some powdered colostrum and feed it to the baby if you get it today, or even tomorrow.

Then get some really, really good milk replacer...at least 20% fat and 20% protein. Follow the instructions on the bag.

That's just the short version. I'm serious, look it up on google.

Alice

I don't know, but I think your taking on a handful, at least.
They do grow up.
Like saying a baby leppard is like your house cat. Only for a while.
Be careful and good luck.

well,
a lady who actually raises buffalo is taking it. THank you for your time.

cjpup":2l0b27ud said:
well,
a lady who actually raises buffalo is taking it. THank you for your time.

Whew! You dodged that bullet. But next time, be prepared...'cause if you're like me, there will be a next time.

Alice :)

sorry that was not a good answer. Give as indicated on the package. What I meant was give him an extra package or 2. They cant get too much from what Ive read

Got a good friend who loves to collect odd livestock to go with his 450 + head of cattle......the Bull buffalo kept going through the fence into the pastures..... now he knows what beefalo looks like...lol..........needless to say.... the buffalo steaks were had by all. :cboy:

I rehab baby wild animals as volunteer for DNR. I never give cows milk to anything but calves. The lactates in the milk are too hard for baby anything else to digest and will cause scours. I recommend that you talk to someone who has done this (worked with buffalo). I give all babies goat milk or goat/lamb milk replacer. Colostrum is very important. Also, most young animals will not pee or poop unless their "parts" are rubbed with something that simulates mothers tongue. I use paper towel (not a very delicate thing to mention but is too important to ignore ~ make sure your baby is doing both on his or her own.). Let us know how it goes.