I need some help with breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

hog_n_dos

Reaction score
I am pretty new to the hole having cows thing and I am having trouble finding some one to breed my cow.

I have a herford breeder and I don't really want to deal with a bull (mine or someone elses) . I don't have a shoot and I am having a problem with the 3 mo. old calf getting out of the field through the hot wire.

anyway, I am trying to find someone in my area that does artificial insemination for cows. I can only find people in texas. That really doesn't help me! so if anyone knows someone in puyallup or graham washington, I would appreciate the help. thanks

I have been trying for about 5 weeks to find someone and have had no luck! the large animal vets around here don't do that . I have asked the feed stores if they know someone and on all counts I can up with nothing!

Check with ABS, Select Sires, etc. They may have route salesmen in your area and shoulod know of folks that AI. Are there any dairys left around there? If so you could check with them

I know there is someone who works through that area I just can't find his card. Other places to try. The WSU experiment station there in Puyallup. Dr. Joe Harrison use to be the dairy guy with them he might still have contacts for you. The Enumclaw saleyard, ask for Ron. The Chehalis Livestock Market, (360)748-3191. Almost any of the dairies in the area. I know they are all gone around Puyallup but there are still a bunch up around Buckley and Enumclaw. I just found a number for ABS in Chehalis (360)736-5252. I don't know if it is current but those are some places to start.

thanks for the numbers Dave, I think that will give me a great place to start. :D

my cow is driving me nuts mooing all night, she really wants to bred

I personally know a lot of people in my area that do it and there are classes held in either the spring or fall that teach AI classes. Maybe look into taking classes do you can do it yourself. My mother in law and a brother in law both AI and it doesn't look hard, but you definitely need to know what you are doing and have the right equipment.

Dave has already given you plenty of good leads, I'll throw one more out for you. Contact All West Select Sires, they will probably be able to give you a name of someone in your area.

Here's a link with contact info, they are out of Burlington WA.

http://www.selectsires.com/coops/allwest.html

Alan

I have chained some portable corrall panels up next to a tree on one end and a old pickup truck on the other side and then crowded the cows together to give shots and deworm and that worked pretty well and we have banded calves out in the field. My grandfather (who was much better with a rope than I ever was) usually tied a cow off to a tree or a pickup truck or tractor and laid the cow down with a series of half hitches and did whatever he wanted to do (usually a calf pull) right out in the field because it was faster FOR HIM than running a cow up into the chute, unless she was right by the barn so you CAN operate without a chute or a head catch. I don't recommend it; but not having a chute would not stop me from giving a cow a needed shot. I am not recommending NOT buying a chute; but you CAN get things done without one if you really really had to

hog_n_dos":2ifi0h9i said:
anyway, I am trying to find someone in my area that does artificial insemination for cows. I can only find people in texas. That really doesn't help me! so if anyone knows someone in puyallup or graham washington, I would appreciate the help. thanks

Select Sires is the place to call. They will know of people in your area. I just got back from taking there class in Burlington. Henry and others travels all over washington, Oregon and California doing AI. I am sure you will get the answers you need from them.
If this doesn't help contact me and I will find out from my rep. who you could get in your area.
Hope this helps.
Double R

Latest posts