I Need Some Help Identifying A Calf Disease (URGENT)

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Yea, me and the guy I work for, we've lost 6 or 7 calves all to the same thing...we think. Right now we have one that is sick too. I live in western wisc.

Now what's happening, is that my calves will start to get thin (generaly within, oh 5 days to 3 weeks). And soon its legs give out and he lays on the floor, ('till it dies). When its legs go out at first, it will be able to get up to come get its milk or a day or two. But after that, (during the next 1-2 days) it's stuck on the floor, with its legs all sprawled out, and it can't really move. I had to get down and put the bottle by its nose and it will move its head enough so that it can drink out of it. Soon it can't move his legs, (but they'll twitch), move its neck, (but hardly at all), and its tounge is hangin out. I had to feed it by liftin' its head and slowly givin' it its milk. The next day, I come out, and its dead. If you can get nething out of this and know whats goin' on, plz lemme now A.S.A.P. Thnx!

Ain't ya'll got no Vets in Wis. I would have called one for the first or at least for the second one. That would be cheaper than trying to guess and hope.
One vet call; maybe $100.00. one dead calf; $150.00 minimum.
Six dead calves $900.00
That is the value right now at just a few days old.

Anonymous":h90iblg4 said:
Yea, me and the guy I work for, we've lost 6 or 7 calves all to the same thing...we think. Right now we have one that is sick too. I live in western wisc.

Now what's happening, is that my calves will start to get thin (generaly within, oh 5 days to 3 weeks). And soon its legs give out and he lays on the floor, ('till it dies). When its legs go out at first, it will be able to get up to come get its milk or a day or two. But after that, (during the next 1-2 days) it's stuck on the floor, with its legs all sprawled out, and it can't really move. I had to get down and put the bottle by its nose and it will move its head enough so that it can drink out of it. Soon it can't move his legs, (but they'll twitch), move its neck, (but hardly at all), and its tounge is hangin out. I had to feed it by liftin' its head and slowly givin' it its milk. The next day, I come out, and its dead. If you can get nething out of this and know whats goin' on, plz lemme now A.S.A.P. Thnx!

URGENT!!!! :cboy: :idea: you need a vet before you loose your herd

You don't mention any other symptoms. Have they got scours? What are you feeding them? Are they still on the cows or these just bottle fed calves. Maybe didn't get enough colostrum. It sounds to me possibly like scours or possibly some sort of deficiency in what you are feeding them but I would call the vet.

He better get a Vet out to his place and then worry about trying to answer these other Questions.

hey i'm the guy that posted this, and i'd like to thank ya'll that have helped so far, i believed that it could be scours, i just wasn't sure, i dunno, though keep postin'.

Well, if it's the scours, your calves will have very liquid (and sour smelling) feces. It doesn't take long for their health to deteriorate with scours, as they become dehydrated very quickly. Depressed attitude, sunken eyes, lack of appetite, and very loose stool all indicators, however, like the other posters suggested, getting ahold of a vet as soon as possible is the best course of action if your unsure what's wreaking havoc in your barnyard.

Take care and best wishes.

Anonymous":208om6iq said:

have you contacted the vet. I wish you luck and no more loses in your herd

Latest posts