I need one more good Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Daytona-10408.jpg

What do you think of this one ?
good luck

I hit the link and his numbers didnt come up. I imagine he is no different than any other Limmy bull on earth-

Limousin -- moderate growth
Very high lean, low marbling, low milk, late puberty
I have noticed in the feedyard that most of our Limmy sired steers Grade Select and Low Choice with a Yelid Grade of 1
Very low marbling kind of like eating an old rubber tire. Ok for the health conscious Yuppies, but for me, I prefer to actually eat a steak that is tender and tastes good.

A good Simangus bull would do well in your program looks like.

simangus23":1eekd9gm said:
I hit the link and his numbers didnt come up. I imagine he is no different than any other Limmy bull on earth-

I have noticed in the feedyard that most of our Limmy sired steers Grade Select and Low Choice with a Yelid Grade of 1
Very low marbling kind of like eating an old rubber tire. Ok for the health conscious Yuppies, but for me, I prefer to actually eat a steak that is tender and tastes good.

Could be right,this is my first go around with limousine bulls,so Im not gonna protect them, time will tell,Im told by some of the Limi seed stock folks that the breed is much improved,I know the calves that I have got sure look good.
good luck

PS run his ID # NPM-1851841

simangus23":2wbveba7 said:
Thanks for the numbers------------- I really think we should be more concerned with carcass data than all these other traits. YW WW etc are important but we are in the beef business and not just quanity >> but Quality
Look up this Simangus Bull offered by ABS (Starz)
http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/simmen ... o=29SM0398

Impressive no doubt........thanks for the information.
good luck

simangus23":1337gn92 said:

While I have never tried eating an old ribber tire, I've eaten Limousin beef for over 20 years and prefer nothing else. Marbling has very little to do with tenderness. Because Limousin beef is very lean, it needs to be cooked at a lower temperature. Properly cooked a Limmy steak is as good if not better than any other.

You would think with all the talk about obesity in the good ole USA . The USDA would come up with a grading system other fat. Marbling has about a 5% effect on tenderness. Time on feed and aging have much more effect on tenderness. I guess a simanugus would produce alot more trim, fat marbling. But you can get that with a Limflex,if you want to use a crossbred bull. Limousin cattle will have muscle, preformance, milk,calving ease. And you can still get a red one. Maybe folks should quit trying to make there breeds look like an angus. Nothing wrong with a Limi if you want more butt on your cattle. Anyway good looking bull. Rember diffrent breeds have diffrent EPD numbers. If you are in the 18 to 25 milk number range,heifers should milk fine high 40s low50s for ww will get good ww weights. High 70s to to mid 80s YW should give you very good YW weights. Try a fullblood Limousin for more Hybrid vigor.

Red Bull Breeder":12rhdmj6 said:
You would think with all the talk about obesity in the good ole USA . The USDA would come up with a grading system other fat. Marbling has about a 5% effect on tenderness. Time on feed and aging have much more effect on tenderness. I guess a simanugus would produce alot more trim, fat marbling. But you can get that with a Limflex,if you want to use a crossbred bull. Limousin cattle will have muscle, preformance, milk,calving ease. And you can still get a red one. Maybe folks should quit trying to make there breeds look like an angus. Nothing wrong with a Limi if you want more butt on your cattle. Anyway good looking bull. Rember diffrent breeds have diffrent EPD numbers. If you are in the 18 to 25 milk number range,heifers should milk fine high 40s low50s for ww will get good ww weights. High 70s to to mid 80s YW should give you very good YW weights. Try a fullblood Limousin for more Hybrid vigor.

RBB Good post well said some are quick to put down a breed and promote another. From what i have owned i like Lim's have crossed lim's and angus raised some nice calf's but prefur the red lim's.Hay Maker good looking bull i think you done good.

rattler

Time on feed wont change the tenderness of the meat and without marbling it wont taste good .......... to most...
Time on feed may change YG and allow your leaner carcasses to age longer due to a YG of 2 to 3 (really need at least a 3 on Select Quality Grade cattle
Aging on the other hand will increase tenderness but in todays fast world of vaccu seal and ship it to the store --- it can age in the truck on the way--- your aging comment doesnt get it either.
Maybe they are running some voltage thru your Limmy's to strive to get them tender----- But I know that Limms are lean and normally grade Select with a YG of 1-- so aging is almost impossible for a YG 1

I could tell the difference in flavor even in the hamburger meat after my uncle put a limi on what had been my grandpa's straight herf herd. More of a sour twang to the beef flavor. I didn't like it nearly as well, but that's not to say that there aren't folks out there that do happen to like the flavor. I wouldn't give you 30 cents per pound for deer meat either, but there are a lot of hunters who would think me :roll: :? :???: :shock: :eek: :mad: . I will say that those red baldie limi cross cows made good mamas that lasted a long time, but they weren't as calm as the old straight herfs. This was in the early eighties, so I'm sure strides have been made regarding carcass.

BTW, I like the bull.

Nice looking bull, Haymaker Its amazing on here the knowledge people have on limousine cattle, hard to handle, bad milk numbers and doesnt grade, maybe they should go tell all their information to Express ranch, deer valley, Magness,pinegar and all the rest of them, so they can stop waisting their time.

Latest posts