I need more coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

Like @SBMF 2015 says it must be regional, coyotes around here will kill and eat whatever they can. We have quite a few coyotes around, seems like a never ending supply, I've found foxes, pieces of a fox, dead coons. They will even get into cantaloupe patches and ruin several of them There is quite size range of coyotes here, some normal size, a few real big ones.

Like @SBMF 2015 says it must be regional, coyotes around here will kill and eat whatever they can. We have quite a few coyotes around, seems like a never ending supply, I've found foxes, pieces of a fox, dead coons. They will even get into cantaloupe patches and ruin several of them There is quite size range of coyotes here, some normal size, a few real big ones.
Wonder if some of your big coyotes have a little canis lupus background such as red wolf or interbred with them?

Wonder if some of your big coyotes have a little canis lupus background such as red wolf or interbred with them?
Biologist say that's why there are no Red wolves in East Texas. They interbred with the coyotes. Now if that's true I don't know.
I do know we didn't have coyotes here to the late 70's and had Red Wolves.
Last Red I seen that had been shot was mid 70's. Last black bear I saw was early 70's.
Pine plantation wasn't conducive to a lot of things making a living.

If I recall correctly, the genetic studies show a red wolf has a wolf and coyote genetic background and may be a mostly stabilized hybrid. Maybe 3/8 wolf and 5/8 coyote like a brangus -- LoL

If I recall correctly, the genetic studies show a red wolf has a wolf and coyote genetic background and may be a mostly stabilized hybrid. Maybe 3/8 wolf and 5/8 coyote like a brangus -- LoL
I know this the coyotes in central and west Texas are little bitty things compared to ours.
Son used to live close to Lake Whitney saw some fellows driving around one day with a dog box. I ask what they were doing he said coyote hunting.
They would drive until they seen one in a pasture and turn loose a couple greyhounds.

I don't think two greyhounds could take one of ours in a fight. Might be wrong but we used to run them with Walker hounds and they could hold their own.

Very possible, there are some huge ones around. A few years ago a neighbor killed a big one that he had nicknamed the butcher. It was part of a group that had killed mature sheep including a good sized Suffolk ram.
Saw one one day on a pond bank across the road through binoculars. Thing was striking, even though I hate them it was a very robust looking animal, not at all like the small mangy coyotes that we often think of. At the time I was actually thinking it's bound to be a coyote, but it looked more like a wolf.
Neighbor has a huge German Shepherd mix dog, and he saw something a ways off on our hill, that he was his dog it was so big, but his dog was in the yard with him.

I know this the coyotes in central and west Texas are little bitty things compared to ours.
Son used to live close to Lake Whitney saw some fellows driving around one day with a dog box. I ask what they were doing he said coyote hunting.
They would drive until they seen one in a pasture and turn loose a couple greyhounds.

I don't think two greyhounds could take one of ours in a fight. Might be wrong but we used to run them with Walker hounds and they could hold their own.
It would take pretty big strong dogs to hold their own with Coyotes here. They are running in groups now, and a friend had two Great Pyrenees guarding his sheep. The male Pyr went after the coyotes and was killed by the time the fellow got to them to get some shots in.
Used to be all kinds of stray dogs running the countryside years ago, when coyotes got established that changed hardly ever see stray dogs now, they likely wouldn't make it past the first night.

I've talked to guys that live and trap East of the Mississippi river and used to goto Wyoming and trap. He said the only thing eastern and western coyotes have in common is the name. He claimed easterns were larger and more aggressive than westerns. I think a lot of our eastern coyotes are coy cross.

I've talked to guys that live and trap East of the Mississippi river and used to goto Wyoming and trap. He said the only thing eastern and western coyotes have in common is the name. He claimed easterns were larger and more aggressive than westerns. I think a lot of our eastern coyotes are coy cross.
An interesting read on the topic:

My Lab/Greyhound mix would take out a coyote in his younger years, in addition to coons, beavers, you name it. Came away unscathed until he was 10 when a beaver did some damage. But he still killed it and ended up with 10 staples.

We generally don't kill the 'yotes unless they have mange or seem to be too bold or aggressive but for the most part, they stay away from the cattle and the pastures.

Most coyote dogs are used to run the coyotes past standers or lure them to a hunter. Usually fast and agile. When the dogs are meant to catch the coyotes, they're most often airedales or airedale crosses. And they make short work of one, its quick and violent. I knew a guy once that kept a group of what he called denning dogs. Also airedales. In the spring they would drive around and located denning sights by howling to get a response. He would go back in the day with the dogs and they would find then den, crawl down in, and kill every coyote in there. Obviously not done for sport, its done to get rid of the coyotes. Never known them to ever cause any trouble with cattle, but sheep or goat people want them gone.

It would take pretty big strong dogs to hold their own with Coyotes here. They are running in groups now, and a friend had two Great Pyrenees guarding his sheep. The male Pyr went after the coyotes and was killed by the time the fellow got to them to get some shots in.
Used to be all kinds of stray dogs running the countryside years ago, when coyotes got established that changed hardly ever see stray dogs now, they likely wouldn't make it past the first night.
So - to be clear - it would take some big strong dogs to hold their own against coyotes but coyotes won't go after a raccoon? They will kill a big male great pyr and leave baby coon? Cmon folks.... which is it?

Please help me out here. I know that coyotes carry Neospora. What do coons carry that is dangerous to my cattle? Thanks,
Lepto is the problem with coon crap. If you're vaccinated you should be ok (if you believe in the science of vaccines :) ). However, google round worms in coon crap and you'll find they bring a whole different sort of problem beyond cattle. Disease isn't limited to cattle. Of course, I'm learning that yotes will kill 100 lbs calves while their mommas chew their cud and watch and great Pyrenees dogs but won't go after a coon so my point is mute.

So - to be clear - it would take some big strong dogs to hold their own against coyotes but coyotes won't go after a raccoon? They will kill a big male great pyr and leave baby coon? Cmon folks.... which is it?
I believe I stated in one of my posts that they absolutely will kill raccoons, as well as foxes, or anything that they can they are opportunistic feeders as well as territorial. It wasn't me that said they won't kill raccoons.
Plus if my Border Collie Blue Heeler crosses can kill a coon in short order I know good and well a coon is no match for a coyote either. If a raccoon is close to something it can hide in or climb up and get away then he can evade them, but if out in the open and a coyote comes across it, it would be awful hard to fight off a coyote and pretty much impossible with multiple coyotes.

Last edited:
Coons fight a lot harder than most dogs. Coyotes also don't often fight anything by themselves, they'd rather fight when they have some buddies to back them up. I don't think anyone said they won't kill coons, but it's not all that common. If for no other reason, more often than not a coon would rather climb a tree or go down a hole to escape rather than fight. They for sure can't keep a coon population in check. Foxes on the other hand, coyotes actually go out of their way to kill them and have reduced populations all over the East. Foxes also aren't near the fighters that coon are.

Coons fight a lot harder than most dogs. Coyotes also don't often fight anything by themselves, they'd rather fight when they have some buddies to back them up. I don't think anyone said they won't kill coons, but it's not all that common. If for no other reason, more often than not a coon would rather climb a tree or go down a hole to escape rather than fight. They for sure can't keep a coon population in check. Foxes on the other hand, coyotes actually go out of their way to kill them and have reduced populations all over the East. Foxes also aren't near the fighters that coon are.
That's what I think too, coons are going to try to get away and usually can unless they happen to be caught out in the open. I agree coyotes are not effective coon control because we have plenty of both. Foxes have been thinned out, but they are still a few around, they have moved in closer around houses and buildings.

That's what I think too, coons are going to try to get away and usually can unless they happen to be caught out in the open. I agree coyotes are not effective coon control because we have plenty of both. Foxes have been thinned out, but they are still a few around, they have moved in closer around houses and buildings.
I grew up hunting coons, my dad was an avid coon hunter.
I have seen insane amounts of cash exchange hands for a coon dog.
You have to remember coon is bears cousin.
Thirty pound coon can whip three dogs, he can whip one as well two is where he has problems.
Dad only ran two dogs at a time for a reason.

The key to your answer is plural. Coyotes, dogs. A forty pound dog by its self has its hands full with a 25lb boar coon fighting for its life. A pack of coyotes will kill a dog. A couple good dogs bred to hunt coyotes will kill a coyote.
Coyotes are opportunists. This time of year when everything freezes over and they are starving, anything starts to look like a meal. From full grown sheep and whitetails to mice, coons, cats and dogs.

That being said there are much more effective ways to eliminate coons than coyotes.

Most coyote dogs are used to run the coyotes past standers or lure them to a hunter. Usually fast and agile. When the dogs are meant to catch the coyotes, they're most often airedales or airedale crosses. And they make short work of one, its quick and violent. I knew a guy once that kept a group of what he called denning dogs. Also airedales. In the spring they would drive around and located denning sights by howling to get a response. He would go back in the day with the dogs and they would find then den, crawl down in, and kill every coyote in there. Obviously not done for sport, its done to get rid of the coyotes. Never known them to ever cause any trouble with cattle, but sheep or goat people want them gone.
Coyotes where we are will kill a baby calf if the mother won't protect it and some first calf heifers don't know what to do especially if they have gone off to have that baby. The coyotes will kill the baby and eat their guts out and leave a hull

Latest posts