I need help ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kevin sisson

Reaction score
I run 50 brood cows, and sat. I found a 400lb. angus heifer calf dead. She was ripped into pieces. I think coyotes or dogs did it what can I do so they don't get any more ? Thanks for any info. :( :(

Kevin sisson":12e4e8rm said:
I run 50 brood cows, and sat. I found a 400lb. angus heifer calf dead. She was ripped into pieces. I think coyotes or dogs did it what can I do so they don't get any more ? Thanks for any info. :( :(

Sounds like Yotes, try a guard donkey. Coyotes get very aggressive this time year as the pups have really big appetites. If the calf was eaten entrails first I would think yotes.If just killed and tore up your friendly neighborhood dogs.

You can put hamburger meat with antifreeze in it to kill the coyotes or you can just shoot them. A dead coyote is a good coyote.

I've had a good experience with using a donkey or even a llama(they always seemed to work well with me) the earlier post about the coyotes or the neighborhood dogs is "it". I had a few calves tore up a couple months ago by dogs.

whatever you do, DO NOT use antifreeze. that is by far the poorest advice ive ever read on this board! If youre going to kill something at least do it humanely. Not to mention that can get you a lot of jail time and kill your own dog.

[/quote]whatever you do, DO NOT use antifreeze. that is by far the poorest advice ive ever read on this board! If youre going to kill something at least do it humanely. Not to mention that can get you a lot of jail time and kill your own dog.
Never tryed it myself I've just heard a lot of old timers say it.

A 30-06 ball between the eyes is the best way to deal with the coyotes and dogs. Antifreeze and Range cattle spray work good in hamburger meat too. Just keep your dogs penned up while you have the baits out.

Don't know about other states, but in Texas you can't get into trouble for protecting your livestock. People are suppose to control there dogs.

Thanks for clarifying txshowmom, nothing personal against you.

I believe the original poster is from New York. Shooting a coyote is protecting your livestock, poisoning wildlife at random is not considered protecting your livestock in most states.

About 5 years ago someone was injecting hotdogs with Temec in an effort to kill coyotes. we found 5 raccoons, one bulldog, one fluffy little dog, a cat, and an opposum all floating in ponds on our farm. Apparently the Temec makes them really thirsty and then kills them instantly when they drink water.

Antifreeze poisoning, according to local vets, is a slow, painful and agonizing process.

As far as the wildlife goes, then let's all stop driving our cars and trucks up and down the road, because how many raccoons and opposums get ran over every year? So 5 and 1 are not that many.
Because.....
I guess we all know that a couple of coons and possums are worth more than a 400lb calf.

If you have neighbors that close, then post signs that you have baits out for the coyotes. Most renegade dogs that kill livestock either don't have owners or their owners don't care.

Don't know about other states, but in Texas you can't get into trouble for protecting your livestock. People are suppose to control there dogs.

Here is the actual law. Putting out antifreeze does not fall in the scope of it. Antifreeze is a broad range solution that can be injested by innocent animals that have not and do not intend harm to your animals. Shooting them does though, because it is targeted at the specific animal ( as in dogs) that were, biting, killing or worrying your livestock. I believe in shooting coyotes and any stray dogs that come onto my place that bother my cows, and I don't hesitate to do so.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stus ... 22_013.htm

Texas

Dogs or Coyotes That Attack Animals

Statute Details
Printible Version
Citation: TX HEALTH & S § 822.013

Citation: V. T. C. A., Health & Safety Code § 822.013

Summary:
This Texas statute provides that a dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by any person witnessing the attack or the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack. A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.

Statute in Full:

(a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:

(1) any person witnessing the attack; or

(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.

(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.

(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.

(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.

(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or coyote under this section.

A rifle would do very fine if you are a marksman. And if you have time to wait them out until there next journey to your field. Shoot at them with out hitting/killing them will make them very skiddish and chances are they won't be an easy of a target for you the next time. To many times
someone decides they want to shot a predator and take a shot and miss, well the predator will be very sly from then on out.

I don't know how close you are to Penn, but there are many trappers and a trappers association in the state. Perhaps there is also a trappers association in NY which you can contact and they can recommend a trapper to come and put up snares or other traps in a safe place.

On the other spectrum if your are close to the Adirondack Park you could be dealing with a wolf. However if you have not heard of any other attacks this might not be the case.

Have you seen foot tracks. Drag marks, ect.

Poison is a touchy subject. If Fido goes home and gets sick and dies and the owner does an autopsy they are going to go to every farm/ranch and look for chemicals. Pesticides and herbicides. And in an area that is well populated not a good choice. And if it's a darn wolf, you'll be in jail for a long time. That's considered worse than killing 10 people.

For those of us that live 80 miles from no where, well there are many choices on how to deal with predators.

Kevin sisson":241poxv9 said:

That's awful big for a coyote to kill, do you have wolves?

Let me play the devils advocate for a minute, maybe the calf was dead already when the coyotes found it. Is that possible?

How many cattle were in the pasture with the heifer, and what size and age were they? If she was with a herd of momma cows, I'd be surprised if coyotes took her down without a fight from the older cows, unless she got off by herself.

I kind of doubt that it was coyotes too. i rarely see more than one and two at the most. not to mention that they generally have plenty of food sources this time of year, being omnivores. I would suspect some bulldogs, rottweilers, hog hunting dogs, etc.

Latest posts