I Need Help with a Calf!!!!!!!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Daisy452

Reaction score
I have a month old heifer holstein/angus X veal calf, who is going to a fair in October. She weighs about 120 pounds now and eats like nothing before. But when she drinks her bottles she expands in the lower rib area, its almost like her lungs and 4 compartments swell, while she eats. She hasnt bloated but it looks like bloat, but the stomach does not go up over the loin like in bloat. I have her half brother in the pen as well, and he is perfectly fine. Both claves get a bottle and half of calf/goat milk replacer and fresh goats milk. They get 7 pints of mixed milk twice a day. In the mixture is 16 ounces powdered replacer and five cups fresh goats milk.
They have straw in their pen, and they get 8 quarts of water each day. They are given freechoice hay and grain to nibble on we they feel like it. The hay is Bermuda and the grain is Super Dairy 16.
I have never seen a calf do this before. I will be calling our local feed store where I purchased the calves three weeks ago, tomorrow morning and if all else fails I will be calling out local large animal vet.
If you have any idea what is happening please reply and help is appreciated. Thank you.

My first thought is gulping a lot of air when she's drinking her bottle.

dun":3f3ix95u said:
My first thought is gulping a lot of air when she's drinking her bottle.

What can be done to prevent this? Is it harmful to her? Can she keep going like this. I orgot to mention that whn she is done with her bottles she snorts alot and coughs as well.

Smaller hoels in the nipple both in the end and the breather hole.

dun":3j9c97jf said:

Thanks I will try that tomorrow, if is not that, what else would think it would be?

Daisy452":547u7env said:
dun":547u7env said:

Thanks I will try that tomorrow, if is not that, what else would think it would be?

Other then that I would have someone more experienced take a look at the calf and see what they think. A visual of the calf and watching the behaviour can be the easiest way of seeing what's wrong.

When did you first notice this .? How long after feeding does it take for her to go back to normal . How much grain is she eating per day ?

Larry

larryshoat":3fmhdfo8 said:
When did you first notice this .? How long after feeding does it take for her to go back to normal . How much grain is she eating per day ?

Larry

I first noticed it about two weeks ago. It stopped for the longest time and rebooted early this week. She probably eats a little less than two cups per day of grain. While feeding she starts to expand, most times by feeding at 430pm she is back to normal, but last night it was worse, she didnt go back to normal. So Im going to talk to the owners about it this morning at 8 am while we feed. And tell them they need to do something.

Well, sounds like an odd one . If it's a high dollar calf I would call the vet, if not I would move toward trying to wean her and hope for the best. I would start to back out of the milk, within a week I would reduce her milk to half and see how she acts .If she is eating 2 cups of grain now she should pick up the pace fairly quickly . Just slowly back out of the milk as grain consumption increases and when she is eating 3 lbs per day stop the milk .

Edit: I assume you are using an all milk replacer.

Larry

larryshoat":dotm89dt said:
Well, sounds like an odd one . If it's a high dollar calf I would call the vet, if not I would move toward trying to wean her and hope for the best. I would start to back out of the milk, within a week I would reduce her milk to half and see how she acts .If she is eating 2 cups of grain now she should pick up the pace fairly quickly . Just slowly back out of the milk as grain consumption increases and when she is eating 3 lbs per day stop the milk .

Larry

Yes, she is on calf/goat milk replacer along with fresh goats milk. The only thing is, is the fair we're taking her too, states the calf must be on milk, with little to none grain and hay. So, I cannot wean her and her owner can't afford to not take her to the fair.

Daisy452":pik0rn6w said:
larryshoat":pik0rn6w said:

Larry

Yes, she is on calf/goat milk replacer along with fresh goats milk. The only thing is, is the fair we're taking her too, states the calf must be on milk, with little to none grain and hay. So, I cannot wean her and her owner can't afford to not take her to the fair.

That's right you said veal . I really don't know anything about the veal business . It sounds like it's time for the vet . Maybe try what dun said with the bottle or maybe try switching to a bucket .

Larry

I tried switching the nipples, and it worked, slightly. She didn't expand but she still filled with air. So we beleive that she is just sucking in air its just the way she sucks her milk, so I think we will be using a bucket tonight with her. With having two calves, should I just put both on the bucket? Or should I keep my calf on the bottles and her calf on the milk in the bucket? They are penned together, thanks for all the help!!

Daisy452":uxr7foto said:
With having two calves, should I just put both on the bucket? Or should I keep my calf on the bottles and her calf on the milk in the bucket? They are penned together, thanks for all the help!!

I think thats up to you I've raised calves both ways bucket and bottle and I think either way is fine .

Larry

Thanks everybody for the help. We tried the new nipples and she still sucked in air so this afternoons feeding we put it in the bucket, she drank the milk in less than 2 minutes and did not bloat so we fixed the problem. My once two bottle calves are now two bucket calves. Thanks Everyone!!!!

Latest posts