I need help...vet update!

Help Support CattleToday:

vbd

Reaction score
100_0898.JPG

100_0896.JPG

100_0897.JPG

This is a 5 month old hereford heifer. She looks like her feet need to be trimmed. She walks as though they hurt and it looks like they would.

What do I do?

Van

you are right the heifers toes are long.an yes they do need tobe trimmed.im betting she is walking real sore footed.but im stumped as to why she would have long toes.unless she has been foundered.or she has bad feet.

OK, now I can really show my ignorance... :oops:

How do they get foundered?

How does one go about trimming the feet?

She is in with two other heifers and a bull calf, all approximately the same age and the rest are OK. This heifer got sick about three weeks ago and I took her to the vet. He said she had a fever and possibly a touch of pneumoia (sp). Gave her Baytril and Banamine. At that time she had her head down and back arched...she seemed to get better some but never recovered to the status she was. Given it is running 105° average around here for the last 10 days, none of them are very active.

Thanks, Van

founderedis when they over eat.itll make their toes grow long.well you can have your vet trim her feet.or you can do it yourself if she will let you pick them up.1 thing though do not trim them down to the quick.that will cause feet to bleedan her to go lame for awhile.trimming feet can be tricky.id let a vet or hoof trimmer trim them.

Need to concider that She wasn't sick(Ie virus or bacteria) 6 wks ago-- she may have had accute accidosis(leading to founder)--if so she should come out of it -- as long as you remove the trigger which in most cases is too hot ration/lack of fibre(or mechanical fiber) .

Bez?":3szipevn said:
Get this one healed up and send her down the road - you do not need future probs - I would venture to say this is no breeder.

Bez?

No doubt about it.

Van

Looking at the top pic I think I see an animal that is very thin and somewhat underdeveloped.

You might also have a health prob here. I do not know if this is a bottle animal, or a early weaner - but I would suggest it may have some probs from what I think I see.

If it is thin and you have been pouring the feed to it - then I would suspect you might want to try a parasite and worm control on it.

If you are providing feed - AND - If it is still on momma then it does not need any feed at all.

If it is weaned and has some grass available - it is a Herf and will do fine with just grass and mineral / hay and mineral.

Anything more at this is simply over kill.

Have a look at your total program. If you are hitting it with feed and it is still not growing, or it is shrinking - then look to the vet for a health issue.

Best of luck

Bez?

100_0901.JPG

Here is a pic...does not look thin to me, but if I knew anything wouldn't be here asking questions... :(

When she was at the vet a few weeks ago, he checked her for worms and said she was very clean and he thought she looked good for her age!

I am taking her to the vet in the morning!

All the calves here were bottle calves from the salebarn. They get quality calf starter grower and have hay all the time.

Many thanks for the input...

Van

With all the dairies in Stephenville, you should be able to call one and find an experienced hoof trimmer if you feel uncomfortable trimming the animal yourself. They may even let you bring the animal in on the day they are trimming. Good luck.

vbd":3vlhr44c said:
I am taking her to the vet in the morning!

Van

Good job. Bad feet can't be cured. .... but I'm open to the contrary.

The vet says not to worry about her feet...not uncommon for heifer calf... :shock:

He is afraid we did not get the first problem completely cleared up, so 24cc Nuflor SQ, 5cc banamine IM, Excede in the ear. Another 24cc Nuflor SQ on Wednesday. Bloodwork showed elevated white cell count...

Guess we will see...

Van

vbd":2o5x8oaf said:
The vet says not to worry about her feet...not uncommon for heifer calf... :shock:

He is afraid we did not get the first problem completely cleared up, so 24cc Nuflor SQ, 5cc banamine IM, Excede in the ear. Another 24cc Nuflor SQ on Wednesday. Bloodwork showed elevated white cell count...

Guess we will see...

Van

Hi Van

I liked your emoticon for the vet response to her feet. My eyes did the same.

If it is common then I must have an uncommon herd.

If I were you I would not spend much - if any - more on this animal. A money loser at best I figure.

Good luck getting her to the safe to sell stage.

Dump her asap in my opinion.

Regards

Bez?