I need help processing raw soybeans!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

whitewing

Reaction score
Here's my problem. I can't find processed soybean meal here but I can find raw soybeans. I'm taking delivery this week on about 7,000 lbs of raw soybeans which have been recently harvested. The beans are dry, but otherwise have not been processed in any manner. I'll store them initially but would like to soon start using them in various feed mixes I'm preparing, including one for chickens. I'll run the beans through the same machine I use to grind corn, sorghum, etc.

Honestly, I've googled hundreds of times looking for some kind of detailed description of the process to deactivate the growth inhibitors in soybeans and all I ever come up with is...."soybeans need to be properly heat-treated before being fed to animals".

Has anyone here ever processed....heat-treated, etc......their own soybeans? I'm looking for some guidance on how I can do it on a relatively small scale here at my place AND be 100% confident that I'm not selling a product with active growth inhibitors.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

WW

I am wondering if you bit off more than you can chew?

[youtube]iYDD8Z6SiIo[/youtube]

Why should you roast Soybeans?

It is important that soya beans are properly heat treated before it is fed to animals. The reason for this is that raw soybeans contain an enzyme that is detrimental to digestion of protein.

Heat treatment also increases the amount of soy protein escaping microbial degradation in the rumen. This reduction of protein degradation occurs because of the Maillard type reactions between sugar aldehyde groups and free amino groups."

The form of "Full-fat Soybeans" that Roastech's roasters produce is optimal for milk production when broken in halves and quarters. Fine grinding of beans causes oil release in the rumen, upsetting bacteria and decreasing fiber digestion. Fine grinding of soybeans in the summer also cause rancidity in the beans and also when added to ensiled forages or wet byproducts during warm months leading to animals refusing intake.

In practical terms, what does this mean?

Dry heat from the roasting destroys toxin enzymes in raw soya which interfere with digestion and growth in all animals.

The soluble protein is decreased and the by-pass protein in increased

The protein degradability is slowed down so that more is utilized in the small intestine, known as by-pass protein.

High levels of by-pass protein are a very important ingredient to supplement soluble protein when feeding high levels of lucern or legume hay.

Roasted soya is high in Lysine, an important amino acid which is very tasty.

Retaining the 20% oil in the soybean during roasting is very important because it is a tremendous source of energy which provides 2.25% more energy than carbohydrates.

By roasting the soybeans, the oil is converted into a more digestible form.

Full-fat soya is thus an economical way to provide energy dense rations without increasing carbohydrates in the rumen – thus eat less with more value

Energy packed rations will increase butter-fat from 2 to 6 tenths of 1%

Milk production will increase 3-5#/hd/day

It helps maintain body weight on cows

It provides a prolonged peak milk production

Better breeding results from better feeding

The oil provides a slicker hair coat which improves overall herd appearance

Soy Lecithin remain which increases the speed of emulsification, stabilizes vitamins, is a natural source of choline and inositol.

Soy is a good source of phosphorus and has antioxidant properties to deter rancidity

Properly roasted Soya contains more ruminal un-degradable protein (bypass protein) and the urease and trypsin inhibitors are destroyed. If this is not done, the trypsin causes toxic reactions in most animals leading to various grades of diarrhea.

Studies showed that optimal heat treated soybeans resulted in a mean increase in milk production of 1.5kg per day

A 10% better feed conversion was obtained in lambs in extensive feedlot trails on roasted soya

Various studies have indicated that properly roasted soybeans are nutritionally superior to soybean meal in pigs.

An increase in the un-degradable intake protein from 25% to 60% takes place, thus the delivery of good quality protein to the animal's digestive system.

When soybeans are processed through roasting, micronizing, flaking or extrusion, these processed soybeans effectively increase the conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) content in milk. Feeding raw soy beans has little or no effect on CLA.

Full-fat Soya has approximately 45±2% Protein and 28±2% Oil, compared to approximately 48±2% Protein and 6±1% Oil in oilcake meal. This is on a dry matter basis due to the extraction of the oil. (SunOpta Research)

Roastech has initially developed this technology specifically for whole soybeans. Tests have been done at the University of Free State, Eskom and private entities on several grains. They are very excited about the capabilities. Roasting of Soybeans is very successful because it eliminates the loss of proteins and vital fiber. The trypsin inhibitor has been destroyed to two milligram per gram (2mg/g) and less if required. It deactivates urease activity to negligible levels.

At Roastech we also roll- or steam flake various products immediately after roasting.

http://www.roastech.com/application.html#soybeans

WW, here are a couple interesting links. It looks like on a small scale, your best bet is going to be roasting and pressing for oil extraction.
From the little I've read, temperature appears to be important, 260 degrees (F) min to eliminate the bad stuff, ideal seems to be 270-295 degrees, held for 20-30 minutes, but not exceed 340 degrees or risk nutrient loss. Storage temp also seems to need to be controlled due to rancidity risks, since 100% oil extraction isn't really possible (nor necessarily desirable). There are some roasters commercially available in the $15 - $30 K range, but you might be able to build your own will local materials. Hope these are a helpful starting point

http://ucanr.edu/sites/placernevadasmallfarms/files/102993.pdf

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/272261-wanted-grain-roaster-plans.html

http://livestocktrail.illinois.edu/sand/resources.cfm

http://www.nsrl.uiuc.edu/aboutsoy/soyprocessing.html.

You might use a coffee roaster.
12everythingassembled.jpg

http://www.rkdrums.com/index.php/en/pro ... b-roasters

HottopROASTER.jpg

http://diycoffeeroasting.com/coffee-roasters/

You could rig a 55 gallon drum as a roaster.

Thanks all, I'll review all the links and see if I can find something that will work for me.

I probably did bite off more than I can chew but what can I say, can't help myself. :D As for sticking with just cattle feed, that would certainly be an option, but again, can't help myself. :D

Seriously, this business is growing rapidly and I can see where there's a niche for me producing feed for hogs, chickens, and horses as well as cattle. To do so successfully I'll need to add soymeal. I've got a number of clients for other feeds who produce small quantities of chickens...say 1-3000 birds at a whack. All of them have asked if I can't come up with a mix that will work for them when 'finishing' their birds and also lower their costs. I believe I can. Chicken feed here is variable in quality, sometimes almost impossible to find,and always going up in price.

Again, I see a niche.

Just an idea- why not make something useful with the soybeans and make use of the byproduct.

whitewing":yvcl6j5m said:
Thanks all, I'll review all the links and see if I can find something that will work for me.

I probably did bite off more than I can chew but what can I say, can't help myself. :D As for sticking with just cattle feed, that would certainly be an option, but again, can't help myself. :D

Seriously, this business is growing rapidly and I can see where there's a niche for me producing feed for hogs, chickens, and horses as well as cattle. To do so successfully I'll need to add soymeal. I've got a number of clients for other feeds who produce small quantities of chickens...say 1-3000 birds at a whack. All of them have asked if I can't come up with a mix that will work for them when 'finishing' their birds and also lower their costs. I believe I can. Chicken feed here is variable in quality, sometimes almost impossible to find,and always going up in price.

Again, I see a niche.
Won't hurt a thing to feed them to cattle and/or poultry but I wouldn't feed them to horses or pigs. Probably wouldn't work for "chicks" due to the size of the bean. As they get larger it shouldn't be a problem. In your cattle rations just don't let the crude fat level of the finished feed exceed 6%.

TexasBred":1bruhpzb said:
whitewing":1bruhpzb said:

Again, I see a niche.
Won't hurt a thing to feed them to cattle and/or poultry but I wouldn't feed them to horses or pigs. Probably wouldn't work for "chicks" due to the size of the bean. As they get larger it shouldn't be a problem. In your cattle rations just don't let the crude fat level of the finished feed exceed 6%.

TB, once the beans are roasted, they'll be ground into fairly fine particles. I wasn't planning on feeding them whole.

And your comment about not feeding them to horses and pigs is interesting. I've gotten a bit of info recently out the States re horse feeds and it seems everyone says don't feed corn or sorghum....instead use soymeal and salt.....salt at 20-30%! :shock: I've not gotten back to researching that subject further but that is what the 'expert' told me. As for the issue of hogs, I've always heard that protein content was key in their feeds and one of the best ways to up it was with soymeal.

As you can see, I've got a lot of studying to do before I go to market with any new mixes.

Our farm uses roasted soybeans in our poultry feed. There are (at least in my area on the east coast) professional soybean roasters. They come in on a medium duty truck, equipped with a Natural Gas roaster, beans are augered in, roasted in minutes, and then augered out into your waiting wagon or grain bin. Some companies will pre-cool them, others do not. So you will need a grain fan aerator etc.

tntblaster11":mwjcq3js said:
Our farm uses roasted soybeans in our poultry feed. There are (at least in my area on the east coast) professional soybean roasters. They come in on a medium duty truck, equipped with a Natural Gas roaster, beans are augered in, roasted in minutes, and then augered out into your waiting wagon or grain bin. Some companies will pre-cool them, others do not. So you will need a grain fan aerator etc.

Tnt, I watched a youtube video last night of such an operation, don't recall the company name but the service was offered in Pennsylvania if I recall correctly.

A few questions. What type of poultry are you feeding? Are you mixing your roasted soybeans with commercial feed or some other products, grains, etc? And finally, I imagine you're not feeding the beans whole. Are you grinding them, etc? What size is the final product that you're feeding the poultry.

whitewing":39rtdccz said:
TB, once the beans are roasted, they'll be ground into fairly fine particles. I wasn't planning on feeding them whole.

And your comment about not feeding them to horses and pigs is interesting. I've gotten a bit of info recently out the States re horse feeds and it seems everyone says don't feed corn or sorghum....instead use soymeal and salt.....salt at 20-30%! :shock: I've not gotten back to researching that subject further but that is what the 'expert' told me. As for the issue of hogs, I've always heard that protein content was key in their feeds and one of the best ways to up it was with soymeal.

As you can see, I've got a lot of studying to do before I go to market with any new mixes.
WW, keyword "Roasted". Once the beans have been roasted they make excellent protein and energy sources for both horses and swine. With the high fat content of the beans, you can reduce the grain content, replace it with by-products and/or roughage products to hold down cost and still have an extremely high energy- low starch type diet for horses. Horses and swine can both be fed ground milo but swine tend to get "fatter" sometimes on milo and horses don't utilize milo quite as fully as they do corn.

TexasBred":3cpn8o77 said:
whitewing":3cpn8o77 said:

WW, keyword "Roasted". Once the beans have been roasted they make excellent protein and energy sources for both horses and swine. With the high fat content of the beans, you can reduce the grain content, replace it with by-products and/or roughage products to hold down cost and still have an extremely high energy- low starch type diet for horses. Horses and swine can both be fed ground milo but swine tend to get "fatter" sometimes on milo and horses don't utilize milo quite as fully as they do corn.

Okay TB, now I think we're on the same page.

I'm making progress on the roasting part of the equation with some of the very helpful links provided by other posters in this thread. Since there's a lot of coffee roasting going on right here locally, I've talked to one fellow who says he can scale up a system to roast several sacks of soybeans at a time. I was originally thinking of a fixed unit but I might just mount the entire thing on a trailer so I can have it here when I need it, and not when I don't. Lots of work left to do on that front though.

On the issue of horse feeds, I'd like your opinion of a decent roughage or two that would work with my ground soymeal. My horse 'expert' spoke about the negative effects of corn....acid gut in particular....and for that reason said to stay away from it (on a side note, many horse owners here feed corn to their beasts).

Now, because of farming practices here, I've got the option yearly to grind sizeable quantities of dry, clean, corn cobs. Once I run 'em through my machine, the final product looks just like oatmeal. I suspect there's virtually zero nutritional value in the product but what I don't know is if it would somehow upset a horse's stomach. I use ground corncobs as a part of the roughage for my cattle feeds and it's a great filler.

My other option would be to buy round bales of local pasture that's used to feed horses and grind that material as a roughage for my feed mix.

The problem with the latter is that it costs a lot more than the former, the former often offered to me free-of-charge. Also, I think with the ground pasture, I'd have more of a dust issue with the final product.

What say you, oh wise one? :cboy:

White,

We use corn, roasted soybeans, barley (or buckwheat), alfalfa/orchard grass hay, lime, oyster shell, and a poultry balancer mineral for our custom poultry feed. It gets sent through the hammer mill on a NH or Gehl Grinder/mixer wagon and bagged up for sale, or placed into our 6 Ton bulk bins for our farm use and bulk sales to customers.

We do a layer and broiler/grower ration.

WW if you can get the corn cobs ground that fine it shouldn't hurt a thing to put in the horse feed mix. Just keep in mind that they have very little nutritonal value (protein, energy, minerals) and make adjustments in other ingredients to insure that you meet your guarantees. I would think they might serve somewhat as an intake limiter due to the large "fill factor" and slow digestibility. Your energy levels will be dramatically decreased with this mix but should make a more than adequate "maintenance" ration. Horses with heavy activity will need more grain in the mix and/or added oil (expensive) for added calories. Hope it all works out well for you. I'll send you my mailing address for my commission check latter. (Dollars not bolivars) :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":8rkdteuf said:
WW if you can get the corn cobs ground that fine it shouldn't hurt a thing to put in the horse feed mix. Just keep in mind that they have very little nutritonal value (protein, energy, minerals) and make adjustments in other ingredients to insure that you meet your guarantees. I would think they might serve somewhat as an intake limiter due to the large "fill factor" and slow digestibility. Your energy levels will be dramatically decreased with this mix but should make a more than adequate "maintenance" ration. Horses with heavy activity will need more grain in the mix and/or added oil (expensive) for added calories. Hope it all works out well for you. I'll send you my mailing address for my commission check latter. (Dollars not bolivars) :lol2: :lol2:

Are you telling me you're like the rest of the world and want nothing to do with bolivars? :lol2:

Thanks for the input.

With the protein levels of heat-treated soybeans being so high, I was thinking of adding the ground cob filler to both reduce the protein levels and to help limit feed intake. Don't know the exact proportions yet but I'll work out those numbers eventually. Of course, I could offer more than one mix.....something like a mix for stabled horses that risk getting overweight with too much protein intake, and a higher protein content mix for those animals that are working daily.

I've got another off-the-wall question that perhaps you or someone else here might be able to offer some advice. I've been offered a standard tractor-operated grain hopper and am interested in purchasing it for use at my ranch during harvesting of corn and sorghum. It's a standard unit with an auger for discharging the material inside.

I was wondering if it would be possible to adapt the outlet and use the auger to extrude my roasted soybeans. Anyone ever done anything like that? I'd have to assume that with the tractor's PTO and the auger, I could squeeze those beans through a plate with reasonably sized holes. If I could use it in such a fashion, it would certainly leverage the value of the purchase.

Pm me the ingredients you have available including the roasted beans, the guarantees on the feed you want and I'll work you up a ration.

whitewing":vl252gy5 said:
I was wondering if it would be possible to adapt the outlet and use the auger to extrude my roasted soybeans. Anyone ever done anything like that? I'd have to assume that with the tractor's PTO and the auger, I could squeeze those beans through a plate with reasonably sized holes. If I could use it in such a fashion, it would certainly leverage the value of the purchase.
You use the word Extrude...that takes special equipment. You might be able to find or come up with something to simply make a pellet which doesn't require as much heat and pressure but you'll need a binder to keep all your ingredients stuck together.

Latest posts