I need help in marketing a few heifers (pictures add)

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
I don't plan to keep any heifers this year and need to find a market to sell replacement heifers. As for my AI heifers, I think I have them sold but the ones by the clean up bull trouble me. I have eight of them and need to sell them at weaning in about April. They are sound Angus heifers that come from good Angus cows and a good Newsline clean up bull that should make good cows. But taking them to the stockyard, I won't be able to get any more than stockyard calf prices since I only have the eight.
I am open for any ideas that y'all may be willing to share with me. I would like to sell them at 6 months old right off the mommas and don't know what to ask for them but I would like to get a premium over calf price.
I could vaccinate and wean for a week or two but could sell cheaper right off the momma.
I know it is just eight of them so it may be hard to realize their worth.
Any thoughts?
:dunce: :help:

Have you tried a local Farmer's Market "Market Bulletin". That usually brings higher prices than sale barns...

We have sold serveral of our heifers by listing them in http://www.cattletoday.com. Got lots of calls also. As far as price, I would ask straight across price. We sold some from $600 to $550 a head at weaning age. Even though they weighed all different weights and were different sizes. Sold them as a group. We wormed them and gave them most of their shots. We live in Arkansas and sold them to an Oklahoma farm. Also have sold some by placing an ad in our state wide newspaper. People will buy them like that rather than getting them from a sale barn where they have been exposed to lots of sicknesses. Plus then you dont have to pay all the selling fees.

Send me some pics and pedigrees and I might take them off your hands. Where in AL are you? I promise that I would pay more than salebarn price. Also, when were they born and when will they be ready for sale?(I can do the math but your timing is what counts.)Are they registered/registerable?

Flacowman":1r8thqcx said:
Send me some pics and pedigrees and I might take them off your hands. Where in AL are you? I promise that I would pay more than salebarn price. Also, when were they born and when will they be ready for sale?(I can do the math but your timing is what counts.)Are they registered/registerable?

The heifers were born Oct - Dec so they are still just calves. I expect to wean about April to May.
They are out of my seed stock cows that did not take AI last year so they they are by my herd bull , A Newsline son.
I have not registered them yet but I can.
I live about half way between Montgomery and Auburn.

I am interested in the 8 girls. I would like to see some pics and what price you want for them. I am in Middle Tenn and had 45 head till the drought forced me to sell. I sold down to 7 from 45. I have 110 ac farm so should have plenty of grass and hay next year.

dillardangus":2tvolunq said:
I am interested in the 8 girls. I would like to see some pics and what price you want for them. I am in Middle Tenn and had 45 head till the drought forced me to sell. I sold down to 7 from 45. I have 110 ac farm so should have plenty of grass and hay next year.

I will send you a PM with my contact number.

I found some pictures of some of the cattle last April so I thought i would post them until I can get some more of this year.

Bull as yearling
farm_april_of_2007_006.jpg

one cow with a bull that is not the sire of the heifers with some calves in the back ground
farm_april_of_2007_018.jpg

Some of last years calves

DSC00052.JPG

Some of the momma cows.

DSC00051.JPG

farm_april_of_2007_055.jpg

Here are some pictures y'all ask for. as you can see the calves are young and some of the calves shown are bull calves but you can get the idea. also shown in the sire as t 2 year old.
DSC00020.JPG

DSC00018.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

DSC00016.JPG

DSC00015.JPG

DSC00014.JPG

DSC00023.JPG

DSC00022.JPG

DSC00021.JPG

DSC00019.JPG

And this one ain't for sale.....
Picture_073.jpg

DSC00010.JPG

DSC00009.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

Sire of the heifer calves
DSC00013.JPG

DSC00012.JPG

DSC00011.JPG

Some of the Momma cows.

DSC00025.JPG

DSC00024.JPG

alabama":1sb4t372 said:
I don't plan to keep any heifers this year and need to find a market to sell replacement heifers. As for my AI heifers, I think I have them sold but the ones by the clean up bull trouble me. I have eight of them and need to sell them at weaning in about April. They are sound Angus heifers that come from good Angus cows and a good Newsline clean up bull that should make good cows. But taking them to the stockyard, I won't be able to get any more than stockyard calf prices since I only have the eight.
I am open for any ideas that y'all may be willing to share with me. I would like to sell them at 6 months old right off the mommas and don't know what to ask for them but I would like to get a premium over calf price.
I could vaccinate and wean for a week or two but could sell cheaper right off the momma.
I know it is just eight of them so it may be hard to realize their worth.
Any thoughts?
:dunce: :help:
So far it looks like you figured out one way. ;-)

Well I had them sold but the buyer just backed out. It seems he had some trouble and just could not swing it right now. I have been in his place before. Some times you just can't make things work.
Well now I need a new buyer. I plan to get some up dated pictures and i will soon.
I just finished the first round of vacanations one day before my X buyer called. The calves are still on the mommas but got a shot of Ultrabac-7; Cattlemaster 4+VL5; and Ivomec on April 7, 2008.
I would like to take them off the mommas about the first of May.
As for price I need $650 a head for all eight head the first of May.

I don't run angus so don't need them but would make you a good offer on those fine looking watermelons and that beautiful daughter/grandaughter. Know you're proud of her.

I would have to agree with big bull the bottle baby in watermelons sure is cute. If that one is for sale i have to bid agin you pretty hard Bigbull. Them babies about that size and watermelons go together like cake and ice cream.

what do you estimate these heifer will weigh on average on may 1st?

jt

jt":l034i67p said:
what do you estimate these heifer will weigh on average on may 1st?

jt

I don't know. They were born in October and some in December. I am guessing some 500 pounds and some 400 pounds. I was never much a guessing weights.
I can get some new pictures if some one wants to take a look.

Latest posts