I need help identifying this bottle

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I was walking through the woods on my place today and I found this bottle laying in the woods under a bunch of leaves with some old 9 oz. Sun Drop soda bottles. I have no idea what it once held. It is peculiar in that at the top shoulder and bottom the glass is molded with angular indentions. The top is coarse threaded for a screw on cap. On the bottom of the bottle is the marking 26. That is the only writing on the bottle. There is not anything telling the volume in ounces.....nothing. It could be old or relatively new but it has to be older than 5 years. I tried to clean the bottle up but I can't get the inside clean without a brush which I do not have at the moment. Anybody want to take a stab at it? My first thought wass that it was some kind of beer bottle but it is clear and most beer bottles have a tint to them.

PC300013.jpg

PC300014.jpg

I can't see the pic from here but I'll check it when I get home Hoss. It may be in one of my books or match some bottles I have had or found.

HerefordSire":1uye1sdx said:

I thought RC cola too because I remember that they used to use some bottles that had indentions but I think that those indentions were spiral like and there would have been something stamped into the glass that indicated volume. The threaded cap may eliminate most soda bottles since they were mostly pop tops. I hope somebody has seen one of these before.

It would have to be 60's and later as denoted by the twist off. Looks like a old Miller bottle. I don't recall soda beverage manufactures using glass bottles with twist offs as it seems they just went to plastic.

Geez, I know that that is, I just can't think of it. I swear it is a soda pop bottle, though. We always used to get out pick of sodas, one bottle for each of us once a week, normally Saturdays. (Yes we were poor and yes, we had a real Baptist way of having fun!) We were an adventurous lot and tried all the different ones, taking the empites back when we got more. It reminds me of Tab, but I think those had little dots on the side. It really looks like something I should know but can't pull from memory.

I don't have that one Hoss. I am thinking Barg's.

All the old RC Cola bottles I dug out of the wells and storm cellars in the 60's and 70's had raised letters that read "Royal Crown Cola" in script but they were pretty old.

The diamond cuts and swirl should make it easier to I.D.

I'll keep looking. I have had a lot of bottles in my day but not one like that - that I remember.

Wewild":zl9nmult said:
It would have to be 60's and later as denoted by the twist off.

Don't be fooled by the twist off. Some of the old English bottles of the 1800's had twist off tops with some internally grooved and others externally grooved. The internally grooved ones are coveted and I have only held a few of them in my life time. A great uncle had them in his collection down in Conroe, TX

Scroll down to see some screw topped bottles in the early 1900s.

1920-1940 Early Screw Top Bottles

All of the bottle mouths shown below were machine made. In the 1920s, the bottle mimicked early forms which were hand tooled and sealed with a cork. The automatic bottle machine was much more precise in gathering an exact amount of glass and the same amount of glass for each bottle this consistency lead to more uniform products. With the uniformity, came the possibility to create a solid seal with a screw cap. Slowly the corked top bottle began to disappear in favor of the screw top. Perfumes and whisky and other alcoholic beverage bottles of this period often retained their cork closures. The food and household product industries on the other hand widely adopted the screw cap quickly.

http://www.bottlebooks.com/Dating%20Old ... ps_and.htm

backhoeboogie":2d1i5lii said:
Wewild":2d1i5lii said:
It would have to be 60's and later as denoted by the twist off.

Don't be fooled by the twist off. Some of the old English bottles of the 1800's had twist off tops with some internally grooved and others externally grooved. The internally grooved ones are coveted and I have only held a few of them in my life time. A great uncle had them in his collection down in Conroe, TX

I wouldn't be surprised that there were some before the 60's. I just don't think your gona find a gem amongst the other bottles he found on the ground at the same place even though I hope he has.

Interesting! Rather it is old or fairly new...it's still neat to look at...and sure makes ya think!

Does anybody know about how old a brown coke bottle would be? We also have a square brown bottle that reads Dr. J. Hostetter Stomach Bitters. I can't find any info on either of them!

show time":uez4xemi said:
Interesting! Rather it is old or fairly new...it's still neat to look at...and sure makes ya think!

Does anybody know about how old a brown coke bottle would be? We also have a square brown bottle that reads Dr. J. Hostetter Stomach Bitters. I can't find any info on either of them!

http://www.nps.gov/history/mwac/bottle_ ... etter.html

HerefordSire":tgu28ofb said:
show time":tgu28ofb said:

http://www.nps.gov/history/mwac/bottle_ ... etter.html

Thanks HS!
That bottle was found under the old trolly system in Kansas City. They used the building to do repairs to the cars. (it's now Osco drugs.) I am going to try and find out when that trolley station was built. A little history never hurt anybody! Thanks again ;-)

I was selling Bitters bottles for well over $20 each back in the early 70's. There are a variety of Bitters bottles out there. Purple ones used to fetch the most nickels but I have been out of that circulation for a lot of years. I must have dug 30 Bitters bottles out of an old well that had gone dry. It seems folks used to fill in old water wells with their trash. One well had over 45 brown Clorox bottles but they were only worth $2 after you scrubbed them and brushed them out. It was still big money to a kid in the early 70's.

HerefordSire":2qwwtvrh said:
Hoss...want to sell the bottle for $10K?

If you got 10k to wave around for a bottle then I will be glad to liberate that 10k from you and sell you the bottle :lol:

HOSS":1rk5slb9 said:
HerefordSire":1rk5slb9 said:

If you got 10k to wave around for a bottle then I will be glad to liberate that 10k from you and sell you the bottle :lol:

That sounds like a fair trade to me. HS, must be going to use his stimulus package. BTW, I got a six pack of Coke that has never been opened and it complete with the original aluminum case. Caps a bit rusty but they are in excellent shape. I'm thinking 60K would be fair. Any takers?

HOSS":2wlfx0ib said:
HerefordSire":2wlfx0ib said:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: I looked all over the net and inspected about 5,000 bottles. I learned allot about older bottles and enjoyed myself. I came close to identifyung your bottle, but no cigar. Since it was almost New Years Eve, I figured if you thought your were going to get $10K for a bottle worth $.10, you would take the day off and begin drinking some Bud Limes, you know, because of rare bottle collection. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jogeephus":2a3np3r2 said:
HOSS":2a3np3r2 said:
HerefordSire":2a3np3r2 said:

That sounds like a fair trade to me. HS, must be going to use his stimulus package. BTW, I got a six pack of Coke that has never been opened and it complete with the original aluminum case. Caps a bit rusty but they are in excellent shape. I'm thinking 60K would be fair. Any takers?

Coke bottles are premium collectibles. I went to the Atlanta coca-cola museum one time. Talk about collectors.

In regards to the stimulous package, I am all talkee and no walkee.

Just guessing, I would say if the bottles where about 50 years old, the six pack might be worth $100

Latest posts