I need direction

Help Support CattleToday:

Chuck2000xj

Reaction score
Ok so I am looking for guidance/ direction. As I am in my research phase before I even own land to have cattle, I need advice. I don't know a thing about cattle and that's why I'm here. I'm looking for everyone's opinion as to breeds. What are a few good breeds, easy to take care of, and do well in the hot summers and cold winters of Kansas/ Midwest? I'm sure I will get lots of answers, but I don't even know where to start. Thank you all for your patience and advice as I am not wanting to be an irresponsible cattleman.

Chuck2000xj":649ss5q8 said:
Ok so I am looking for guidance/ direction. As I am in my research phase before I even own land to have cattle, I need advice. I don't know a thing about cattle and that's why I'm here. I'm looking for everyone's opinion as to breeds. What are a few good breeds, easy to take care of, and do well in the hot summers and cold winters of Kansas/ Midwest? I'm sure I will get lots of answers, but I don't even know where to start. Thank you all for your patience and advice as I am not wanting to be an irresponsible cattleman.
It depends on your land..................know what I mean? You should have some good opportunity where you are however.

I'm of the opinion that there's too much variation from animal to animal for people to get too proud of their favorite breed. There are gems and duds of every kind. Since you're not rushing in, find some people in your area that raise gentle - not pet - cattle and try to get yourself acquainted. Most people are proud to talk about their animals and show them off.
And go to some sales. You can meet some characters and see some free entertainment while you train your eye and learn what sells in your area.

you found the right place for advice; but getting the right advice depends on a lot of things that you didn't mention; for instance, what are you're plans and goals? do you want to try dairy or beef? what station of life are you at? what are your immediate means? how soon do you plan on getting started? do you have land to start? sure will be a whole lot easier to help you if you supply the relavant facts!!

Get a copy of Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle by Heather Smith Thomas.That's kinf of the preliminary for Cows 101. A lot of general information. As to the breed to raise pick a breed that you like the looks of for starters. That's as good a place to start as any

Thank you all for your posts. Like I said.... I really have no idea where to start but you have all made great points. I have some time so it's no rush. And fortunately there are lots of different cattle associations within just a few mile of me. Plus I work at Tractor Supply part time so I have plenty of customers that I can talk to. Yes, Ft Leavenworth actually has 2 prisons now. There are roughly 6 prisons within 10 miles of me. There is the Fed Pen where Michael Vick was right outside the gate.

Let me throw out some stuff for you to chew on and get you reading. As stated by others, each breed can have good and bad breeding. Here are some things you want to look for.

Polled – avoid need to burn horn buds, apply dehorning paste or dehorn
Docile – safer, easier to handle, and gain better than wild cattle
Moderate framed – supposedly more efficient than larger cattle
Good udders – want them high and tight to last longer, and if teats too big, calf can't suck
Good feet – don't want feet that grow long and need trimming or break down
Calving ease - calving problems hard on everyone
Lighter colored to reflect solar radiation and tolerate heat better
Pigmented skin to avoid sunburn

British breeds include angus, Hereford, shorthorn, murray grey, british white.
Continental (from European continent) breeds include Limousin, Charolais, Simmental, Gelbvieh.

British breeds generally considered more maternal – make better cows.
Continental breeds generally more growthy for making meat.

One could get british cows and breed to a continental bull.

A sample answer would be to get some quality Red Angus cows and breed to a quality Charolais bull.

It gets more complicated when considering what sells best. Sale price is a big focus, as it's easy to see, but not the only measure of profitability. And depending on how big you get, profit may not be your only motive.

Like someone said. Check out what sells well at the sale barn. If you are looking to be a cow/calf operation, find out what feedlot buyers are looking for. I'm a Simmental breeder, so of course I would try to talk you into "my" breed.
But, if you are a newbie, I would recommend a commercial (vs registered Purebreds) here of cows - pick a color - red or black - or a mixture. Black white face (generally Angus x Hereford) make absolutely great mommas (or RWF - Red Angus x hereford) and breed them to a Simmental bull.
Someone made the general comment that British are maternal & continental are growth - but, actually, the Simmental breed (and I believe the Gelbvieh) are both - maternal & growth. You get your cake & eat it too!
The Angus breed (through research) is the top British breed for most important traits (calving, weaning, breeding, carcass) and Simmental is the top Continental. They make absolutely superior crossbreds.
You will learn the word - heterosis - that's the "free" benefits we get from crossbreeding. When you take any two pure breeds & cross them, you get heterosis. When you take Continental & British breeds and cross, you get more heterosis. And, you can take it a step further, when you cross Bos Indicus with Bos Taurus, you get even more.
Bottomline, if you will be in the business of selling calves in the fall - you make money on pounds gained while that calf is sucking mom. Crossbreeding will give you the most pounds gained.

Wow!!! Thanks for the info. Sounds like a lot to chew on. I am going to try and pick up that Storey book. I know we were selling it at TSC. I know once you get into it, its probably not too difficult but it all sounds like a lot to digest.

"probably not too difficult but it all sounds like a lot to digest"
It is and it isn't - depends on how much you want to put into it & learn.
There are people raising cattle that don't know as much as you have just been told :shock:
The better you want to be at it, the more there is to learn. I've been raising c/c for 40+ years, and I still learn new things. Of course, technology keeps improving.
But, you have to first be a grass farmer. You need to learn how to manage your forage. It is an acquired skill. You have to be a geneticist, a vet, a bookkeeper, a strong backed laborer, etc etc.
Oh yes, and most of all, you need to sit back and totally enjoy watching your cattle.

I started by buying feeder calves, and I would recommend it to you. Take them to the butcher when they are ready. We buy at 200-300 lbs, so this is a one year commitment for us. I think a lot about taking the next step of a cow/calf operation, but haven't taken the plunge. Too much to think about and plan.

We started with pigs first because that is a 4 month commitment and a smaller pen.

Good luck

Chuck2000xj":2cx3z1b6 said:
A few of the things you need to be when you get into cattle.
Soil scientist
Agronomist
Carpenter
Veterinarian
Mechanic
Accountant
Marketing analyst
At least 1/2 Nuts :lol2:
Get some of this down then you may start wondering what breed will work.

novatech":3pdnph1j said:
Chuck2000xj":3pdnph1j said:
Soil scientist
Agronomist
Carpenter
Veterinarian
Mechanic
Accountant
Marketing analyst
Well I have the 1/2 nuts part down!! :lol2:

novatech":fzhwoww0 said:
Chuck2000xj":fzhwoww0 said:
Soil scientist
Agronomist
Carpenter
Veterinarian
Mechanic
Accountant
Marketing analyst

you forgot masochist...

Latest posts