I need a new washing machine

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
I'm asking for recommendations for a heavy duty washing machine. To say I get my clothes dirty is a massive understatement. My last machine was a front loader that worked great for a year or so but now won't wash more than 3 pairs of jeans without shutting down, It has lots of problems. Any recommendations?

Don't wash more then 3 pairs of jeans and your good to go! :mrgreen:

27 yr old Kenmore is still going strong. Sister-in-law is on her 6th different brand in about 35 years.
I believe in not over loading a machine. She's more of gitter all in there in one load and gitter done.

Front loaders are for city folks with clean jobs.

Go find an older used Kennmore HD top loader without all the electronics.
Mine's about 6 years old..maybe 8 years old & will handle 6 pair of muddy greasy wranglers easy.

Either go Speed Queen or buy the cheapest one you can find. For the price difference, I could go through 5 cheap ones before the Speed Queen would pay for itself, so it was a no-brainer.

Last one was a 20 year old Kenmore, but nothing is Kenmore-quality anymore. All the water-saving circuit board technology in them has made them into a big throwaway item.

greybeard":2woox92s said:
I Don't know what brand our old front load was but I guarantee you it would wash what ever you could shove into it! It was way better then any top load! When we switched to a top load it was kinda hard to get used to because with the front load we never had to worry about over filling it we could pack as much stuff as we possibly could in there then use the door as a big packer to get a little more. But with the top load if you put to much in the stuff on top doesn't even get wet.

We have a Samsung front loader.. it gets lots of dirty jobs, works well, direct drive so it's quiet, never seems to spin out of balance.. sure doesn't matter to us, but it's energy and water saving.. we only use it cold water and it does a good job.. Had it about 8 years now.

ez14.":37u5vjva said:
greybeard":37u5vjva said:
I Don't know what brand our old front load was but I guarantee you it would wash what ever you could shove into it! It was way better then any top load! When we switched to a top load it was kinda hard to get used to because with the front load we never had to worry about over filling it we could pack as much stuff as we possibly could in there then use the door as a big packer to get a little more. But with the top load if you put to much in the stuff on top doesn't even get wet.
So I guess the old front loader you got rid of is still going strong somewhere and you just switched because you were tired of being able to stuff all those clothes in it?

My wife bought a new washer about 5 years ago. It was to replace a 23-year-old Kenmore that still worked great. My parents replaced a Kenmore freezer a few years ago that was over 40 years old. I still ran and worked great, but the top was beginning to rust.

I would go with the biggest and cheapest Kenmore or GE you can find. I really don't understand all the new technology in washers in dryers. All they really need to do is clean and dry clothes. Whats the advantages of being able to see the clothes spinning around in there? One knob and a start button is all they should have, no need for a mini computer on a washer or dryer. We bought a GE set a few years ago I couldn't believe some of the options and prices on these things. Think I spent $700-800 total for a washer and dryer. My clothes come clean and get pretty dirty. The older I get the less I understand all the fancy stuff though, heard a guy at work say he bought a frig with a small tv and a built in kuerig coffee maker. I wonder if it keeps his food cold too.

greybeard":24szq5hq said:
ez14.":24szq5hq said:
greybeard":24szq5hq said:
So I guess the old front loader you got rid of is still going strong somewhere and you just switched because you were tired of being able to stuff all those clothes in it?
No it finally quite on us and the repair man (same guy my parents bought it from) couldn't get parts anymore (it was getting really old) but the washer was an old laundromat washer (still had the coin slot though we had a bypass button)

Get a top loader with an agitator. Those actually get clothes clean.

I have a GE front loader pair, candy apple red.....Will wash anything I shove into it. I think I've had around 15 pairs of jeans in it at once... And not only does my husband get his clothes filthy, but I do too...no city clothes in this house.

We have a Maytag Bravos commercial duty.It is a modern model but gets clothes clean.I do several things,though:
I don't try to wash everything we own in one load.
I pre treat grease and oil or grass manure stains with "Greased Lightning" spray.
Use Tide HE

We have a Whirlpool with the whistles and bells and have already found out the parts cost more than lots of base models that probably work better. If it goes out again we'll make the switch to a base model that I can work on. Speed Queen is one the wife has talked about.

At the hotel we just buy the cheapest top loaders we can get. We are currently running 3 Whirlpools. They each wash around 15 loads a day and usually last about 8 months. At $400 each, we don't even bother to repair them. When one breaks we toss it and put in a new one.

I have an LG front loader at home. It's one of those energy efficient models that uses about 2 cups of water to wash a load of clothes. Doesn't get mud out too well, you need more water to do that.

I'm going with a cheap toploader when I do buy a replacement but I cleaned out the hot and cold inlet screens and found a trap underneath with a bunch of coins and Bobby pins and nuts and washers which I think was obstructing the flow of drain water and causing it to shut down, it seems to be working fine now.

Latest posts