I need a new roller 4X5 what kind to buy

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
I roll about 400 rolls a year and have just got to have a new one. The old JD 510 I have used for years is just way too slow. It is also just warn out and does not make a tight roll and they don't keep all that well in this wet alabama weather.
I want a roller that is 4 feet wide so that I can transport them two wide. The rolls need to be at least 5 foot tall. A 4 x 5 to a 4 x 6 roller is what I am looking for.
Other things I want is a monitor and two string electrict tie.
What do yall recomend?
How much should I expect to pay?

If you have been satisfied with the service fomr JD I would just get a newer used JD. Use the old one as a trade in on the newer one

I was looking at that Vermeer 5410 on the web site. I wonder what those things cost. Does anyone have one and do they like it. Do they have trouble with them chocking in heavy hay?
That new JD standard is $20,000 and I just can't pay that for a roller to do 400 a year. But I need one that is trouble free and makes a good tight 4 x 5 roll and don't take all day to tie.

alabama":1n72s4mg said:
I was looking at that Vermeer 5410 on the web site. I wonder what those things cost. Does anyone have one and do they like it. Do they have trouble with them chocking in heavy hay?
That new JD standard is $20,000 and I just can't pay that for a roller to do 400 a year. But I need one that is trouble free and makes a good tight 4 x 5 roll and don't take all day to tie.
The 20k for a new one is why you look at a used one for half that. There are a lot of used balers around here that have been shedded and only made a copule of thousand bales. They're usually fairly reasonably priced because he wants a NEW baler.

alabama":182a8tsu said:
I was looking at one a couple years ago, I think I was quoted around 13000 at the time. But like Dun said, lots of "newer" used ones out their for a good price. Just have to wonder why they are such a good price.

A couple of the neighbors have Rebels, they seem to like them well enough. Neither of them roll over 500 rolls/year and neither have any major problems. I've got a 504L that I bought as a demo model, absolutely love it but I wish it were 6' tall. It passed 10k bales a long time ago and I can count the number of bearings that I've replaced on one hand, although it is hard on belts. Dad and a friend of mine both have 554XL's, neither of them are very impressed with theirs. They're built a lot cheaper than the L series. If I were in your shoes and looking for a yellow baler, I'd search out an L series that has been well maintained and shed kept.

1982vett":3b489jip said:
alabama":3b489jip said:
I was looking at one a couple years ago, I think I was quoted around 13000 at the time. But like Dun said, lots of "newer" used ones out their for a good price. Just have to wonder why they are such a good price.

Good price is in the eye of the beholder.5 year old baler fro less then half the cost of a new one is to me a good price. Prices now around here are getting a bit lower, hay season is about over and people don;t want to carry unnecsarry inventory over the winter

Alabama, I just bought a NH that was pretty darn new. It was built in Dec, 2005, sold in August, 2007, I bought it in Mar, 2008. Baling season was/is pretty much over by August. Still had yellow paint on the pick up reel so it wasn't used that much. It was a FSA repo and I only paid $14K for it. It is a much bigger baler than what you want but I'm just using it as an example. Look around, check out your local farm equipment auctions, check the banks for repo's, etc. I looked for over a year before I ran across this one.

alabama":3q6nnb0b said:
I roll about 400 rolls a year and have just got to have a new one. The old JD 510 I have used for years is just way too slow. It is also just warn out and does not make a tight roll and they don't keep all that well in this wet alabama weather.
I want a roller that is 4 feet wide so that I can transport them two wide. The rolls need to be at least 5 foot tall. A 4 x 5 to a 4 x 6 roller is what I am looking for.
Other things I want is a monitor and two string electrict tie.
What do yall recomend?
How much should I expect to pay?
You may have saw my post about a 5410 I bought. I paid 12000 for it. A man bought it when they first came out was going to raise organic beef and hay. Did not bale a lot. Decided he needed a square baler to sell to the goat herders here and swapped.Paint not wore on the baler sides. Have not pulled it yet will this week. It has the net wrap I have a 5400 rebel that has been pretty good I bought it used and have spent a little money on it. There has been some bearings fail as has the constant velocity joint on the front of the pto. I could have avoided it if I had pulled the joints apart and looked as they had worn and would not slide back and forth. It does have the twin tie accu-tie from Vermeer it works like a champ. Did have a little problem at one time. I replaced the baler side of the harness and corrected it. I found out that when it does not do right then something is wrong and you better fix it.
You can call Vermeer 800 number and talk to a technical rep, they are very good and Vermeer really supports their product well.

i think a 468 JD would work good for you.my buddies FIL bought a new fully loaded 468 3 or 4yrs ago.an it cost him $30,000 new.he has prolly put close to 10,000 bales on it now.an buddy said it would put up a 1350lb bale.

I have had a chance to use the 5410 baler that I bought used. It is one of the easest balers I have ever baled with. I have had a John Deere 410, a 330 and a 5400 rebel. I have also baled with a John Deere 435. The 5410 will be my last baler if it holds up.

I went with the JD 458. That thing spits out rolls with out a hitch. I was in some very thick hay that the tractor could not get over and it sucked it right up no trouble running 4 MPH. Made some noce loking 4 x 5 rolls.

Latest posts