I need a loader

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
Would like to purchase a loader for a ford/new holland 5610s two wheel drive . Will use it for loading 6x5 round bales of hay and other odds and ends. Any recomendations ?

I've got a Koyker 310 mounted to a Deere 2555 and it would fit a 5610. Koykers are usually priced right and are decent no-frills loaders. It's also mounts and un-mounts pretty easy with just two bolts (would prefer it it was two pins however). If resale is the goal, go with a ford or new-holland loader. If you plan on keeping it, go with the best deal.

rjbovine":2nakyhkp said:
Would like to purchase a loader for a ford/new holland 5610s two wheel drive . Will use it for loading 6x5 round bales of hay and other odds and ends. Any recomendations ?
go with a new NH loader.if you buy used your buying probs plus your paying a big price.

Can you spend 6000?
If not. Are you mechanical? Weld?

I can move 6 by 5 rolls but dont like too. Cant see over em well enough and they are hard on the front end. I make 5 by 4 only. I have tririb airplane recaps which handle the load but still its a lot.

I have Zetor tractors. The loaders mount to the front and sides and to the rear and handle the load OK.

I paid 700 for one loader tallk about 50 for extra brackets and a lot of trial to make it work. The other was 1275 plus about 100 for extra bracket material and a lot of work.

go with a smaller roll or a bigger 4 wd drive tractor for that size roll

I agree with the others. You're asking an awful lot of a 5610 to load 5'x6' bales. Assuming these bales are made with a modern baler, the bales will weigh 1800 lbs.

I had a couple neighbors buy some hay from me in the field that another neighbor put up for me with a modern NH baler. One neighbor used a JD 2840 2wd with a JD 148 loader. The other had a Fiat 80-90 mfwd with Fiat loader. The Fiat did OK. The 2840 had a tough time of it and it is a slightly bigger tractor than your 5610.

You might be able to do it in a pinch, especially with a bale on the rear for weight. But for long term use my opinion is you really need to consider a bigger tractor, or smaller bales.

well we fed the big 5 by 6 bales all winter using a MX5100 HST 4x4 w/fel all winter.an had no prob lifting or carring the bales.plus we even loaded on trailers.but i wouldnt try stacking 2 high with my tractor.the 5610 is a 62hp give or take.

well we fed the big 5 by 6 bales all winter using a MX5100 HST 4x4 w/fel all winter.an had no prob lifting or carring the bales.plus we even loaded on trailers.but i wouldnt try stacking 2 high with my tractor.the 5610 is a 62hp give or take.

I grew up on these Fords. They are good tractors and the power is not the issue. The 2wd front axle is not going to take the weight of the bales for long. The tractor will also be unstable at times, even with weight on the back.

A 3pt forklift mast for the back may be an idea depending on how many bales you need to stack.

let me add this,we have a 7700 ford that has been a loader tractor for 32yrs.an just this year we had to replce both front hubbs bearings an races an repack them with grease.now i know it has been 20yrs or more since that has been done to the tractor.

I still shudder to think of long term wear and tear of the weight of a full size 5'x6' bale on that size of tractor. Can future bales be cut down in size? My baler is capable of making 5'x6' bales. I make my bales 5'x5' by choice because of the equipment I have to handle them.

A single bale 5' x5' is too much on the 3 pt of my Fordson Major Diesel. Going uphill forward I do wheelies. I can go anywhere in reverse with a bale on, but it puts a kink in my neck driving very far that way. A single bale is plenty on the rear of a Ford 8600 with no front weights. 2 bales are plenty on the back of a Ford 9600 with 9' dozer out front. Also have used the double bale fork on the MF 2775 with 1100 lbs of front weights. Wouldn't want more bale, or less tractor.

The 5'x5' bales weigh 1300 lbs. My neighbor stacks them for me with his IH Super M and Farmhand F11 loader with 5' bucket/grappel. The Super M has a SpeeCo wide front conversion with modern 6 bolt wheels and 9.5L-15 implement tires. It gets the job done, but we only stack 2 bales high, on the ground. And we have the bale foundation already formed by the double 3pt bale fork on the dozer tractor. The Super M only has to lift the top row of bales up on the stack.

wow ive never seen no 1 so nevious about moving 5 by 6 bales with a tractor.now granted ive never used the double hay forks on the front an rear before an wouldnt.now i have a friend with a fairly new 4x4 jd 115hp tractor an he uses a double hay fork on that tractor.i doubt that it would bother me to pick up a 4 by 5 or a 4 by 6 without any weight on the rear.but then again id never use a tractor the size an weight of an 8n to feed any size round bale for that matter.

Thank you for helping me make my point. I would hope we can all agree there is a tremendous difference between a 115 HP mfwd tractor and a 5610.

The thing none of us know here is how heavy the 5'x6' bales are. The OP did not tell us. If the bales were made by some old '70s hard core belt baler, a NH bar baler, or a soft core belt or roller baler, then sure. The 5'x6' bales probably weigh no more than 1000 lbs. I would agree a 5610 should big enough to safely and reliably lift 1000 lbs day in and day out.

If the bales are nearly double that weight, then basic physics and common sense should tell us to expect problems with using a tractor that is not large enough.

bigbull338":14ac4lgz said:
let me add this,we have a 7700 ford that has been a loader tractor for 32yrs.an just this year we had to replce both front hubbs bearings an races an repack them with grease.now i know it has been 20yrs or more since that has been done to the tractor.
a 7700 is is a whole different weight, HP and frame category from a 5610
a 5610 is about the same frame category as the old 3000 fords

Angus Cowman":a24638jp said:
bigbull338":a24638jp said:

Good point, Angus Cowman. I've never been around a 5610 but I think it replaced the 5000. I've been around a few 5000s and in size they are closer to a Major than a 7000. I also got my Major owner's manual out. The official weight with out extra cast or fluid is 5010 lbs. A 5610 can't be too much heavier.

John SD":2rbovn9f said:
Angus Cowman":2rbovn9f said:

Good point, Angus Cowman. I've never been around a 5610 but I think it replaced the 5000. I've been around a few 5000s and in size they are closer to a Major than a 7000. I also got my Major owner's manual out. The official weight with out extra cast or fluid is 5010 lbs. A 5610 can't be too much heavier.
5610 weighs in the 5600lb category
a 7700 weighs in the 7400lb category and 8400 with a cab
and the wheel base is alot shorter on the 5610 than a 7700

The original owner of my Major purchased the tractor new with a Johnson loader on it. He had 6 sets of wheel weights along with fluid in the 16.9x30 tires and still was not satified with the performance of the tractor with the loader on it. In snow especially, traction was not too good. This was back in the 50's through the 60's when no one had heard of big round bales yet.

In the late 60's he sold the tractor to my uncle. He kept the loader and put it on a late 50's reversed Ford 2-ton truck. He also reversed the truck cab and put a swamp cooler in it. One of the more unique home built rigs I have seen in my time and the guy's son still has it.

Today I use the Major for utility work like the rotary mower, post hole digger, and of course moving bales. I have made 5'x5' bales since I got my first used baler, a Hesston 5500 which made bales weighing about 800 lbs. The Major handled them with no problem. Now I make 5'x5' bales with my Hesston 856A which weigh 1300 lbs. Major has a tough time with those.

Latest posts