i need a fairly accurate way to guage wieght w/o a scale

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
need a way to figure out approx what my animals wiegh as i sell them mostly as beef not animals. some cust want an idea of how much theyre gonna be spending. since its 3$/lb hanging wieght i would be telling them about 50% of hoof wieght as a close approximation

but how to do it..sometimes i guess kinda close but sometimes im way off..the bigger they get the harder to tell

maybe i oughtta just ask herefordshire..... :lol:

dieselbeef":2hfpbaob said:
need a way to figure out approx what my animals wiegh as i sell them mostly as beef not animals. some cust want an idea of how much theyre gonna be spending. since its 3$/lb hanging wieght i would be telling them about 50% of hoof wieght as a close approximation

but how to do it..sometimes i guess kinda close but sometimes im way off..the bigger they get the harder to tell

Drop them in a tub submerged with water by an overhead crane. Then measure the water displacement before they drown. Since we know how much water weighs, the rest is elementary math. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I better write this....this is a joke. :santa: :santa: :santa:

2/B or not 2/B":1d3npxi4 said:
Perhaps not as accurate as HS's method, but you could measure them with a weigh tape...
We have used the tape on some we were selling and then haul them to the salebarn just to see how accurate they are. On most of the cows we are within a hundred pounds calves about 50-60. I would say about 10% error on average, once you get use to judging their condition I think we do better.

Then there is this:

http://www.clicrweight.com/clicrweight_products.html

Weigh tape in the way to go. As Tom said, accurate within about 10%. If you know your condition well, it gets more accurate. :cowboy:

I can't imagine that any customer (with any sense at all) would buy an animal by the pound without an accurate (scale) weight. Of course, there are a lot of naive, trusting people out there.

If one is trying to sell live animals by the pound for "beef" then buy and use a scale. Simple solution.

:shock:

Running Arrow Bill":3gnvc9l9 said:
I can't imagine that any customer (with any sense at all) would buy an animal by the pound without an accurate (scale) weight. Of course, there are a lot of naive, trusting people out there.

If one is trying to sell live animals by the pound for "beef" then buy and use a scale. Simple solution.

:shock:

I agree. However, if not selling it for beef and you just want to get close to what they weigh measuring the heart girth will get you within +-7 pounds or so.

I think he sells beef by the hanging weight at the processer.
He just wants to better estimate what that weight is going to be before he hauls them there

HerefordSire":1qztj54o said:
dieselbeef":1qztj54o said:

Drop them in a tub submerged with water by an overhead crane. Then measure the water displacement before they drown. Since we know how much water weighs, the rest is elementary math. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I better write this....this is a joke. :santa: :santa: :santa:

i already tried that and the water kept spilling over the top of the tub and since i coldnnt catch it all i was still wrong on the wieght...dang it

kenny thomas":2tn6b0kq said:
Your hanging weight should be 60% or maybe a little better instead of 50%.

it is..but i tell the cust that so that they arent thinkin theyre getting less meat then they are paying for
its just a safe guess

simcross":2red5em6 said:
He just wants to better estimate what that weight is going to be before he hauls them there

exactly..thank you.....just the hanging carcass wieght. i dont want it to be too much when its too late

scales aint cheap....cpl thousand for a scale would put me in the red for yrs

dieselbeef":21oyptdg said:
kenny thomas":21oyptdg said:
Your hanging weight should be 60% or maybe a little better instead of 50%.

it is..but i tell the cust that so that they arent thinkin theyre getting less meat then they are paying for
its just a safe guess
Ya know, and this is just a thought, but a hundred pounds more than one expects at $3 plus processing might equally surprise someones pocketbook or freezer capacity.

The 2 easiest ways I know of is to load them up and run them across the scale at the local salebarn or run them across the scale at a local truck scale. Both methods cost but you will at least be accuarte

dun":1gmnp69h said:
The 2 easiest ways I know of is to load them up and run them across the scale at the local salebarn or run them across the scale at a local truck scale. Both methods cost but you will at least be accuarte

You might could get hooked up with your local feed mill or recycle center. Both of them would have drive on scales too.

well its 3$/lb delivered. i got the slaughter and the processing. still is better than the markt..specially at 800 lbs or so.
but yeah..if its 600$ becomes 720$ thats a big diff. so my reason for posting..

i have a local scale (bout 20 mi ea way) that i use when delivering feed but i was hopin to not hafta load the trlr and the steer for a sunday drive if i didnt hafta. that wuld keep me busy doin 10 a yr.

i guess ill get a wieght tape and see how that goes.

yall got any preferences to what type or the best deal??

gary

I use a weigh tape and it is pretty darn close. I got it either from Jeffers or Valley Vet catalog. Cheap too. I checked it against my brothers scale and it was within 5 to 7 pounds.

dieselbeef":3fyf2hpf said:
simcross":3fyf2hpf said:

exactly..thank you.....just the hanging carcass wieght. i dont want it to be too much when its too late

scales aint cheap....cpl thousand for a scale would put me in the red for yrs

My gallagher scales and weight crate I built cost 1800 total and the state paid around 800 dollars of it. So it wasnt to bad. If you cant afford that well then you might ought to get you a better job.

Latest posts