I need a bigger tractor, What to get?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexFarmer

Reaction score
I currently have a little 2007 New Holland TC30 hp tractor that I bought when I had just 4 acres to manage. Now I've got a 100 acre farm and I'm looking to begin round bale hay production on about half of it next year. I'd like to produce 5x5 or 5x6 round bales and the 50 acres that I will be baling is all flat. A closed cab tractor sounds nice but I don't know if I can justify the added cost given the most I'll be using it is baling twice a year and feeding hay in the winter. My little TC30 tractor is 4x4 and I've used that quite a bit, mostly when I've needed extra traction pulling around a box blade, but I don't know if I'll need it on a much heavier tractor. Some questions with my situation in mind:

How many HP minimum do you think I'll need for baling hay?
Would you go with an open cab or enclosed?
2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?
Would you shop around for a good used tractor or buy new?
Any particular name brands to go for or avoid?

50 pto hp is what I consider the very minimum for haying. 75 would be a better choice though. If you have cold wether in the winter, suck it up and get an enclosed cab. If there is a chance of mud or you will do any loader work, 4wd is awfully handy and I wouldn;t do without it.
If you can find a good fairly new tractor that has been properly cared for there is nothing wrong with used. The operative term be "properly cared for".
The dealer service/parts availability is more important then make.

Why buy new, when second hand will do?
A good old tractor will accomplish what you need done and would be much more cost effective.
You can find them with a cab and a larger size than you otherwise might buy when shopping for a new one.

I'd go with a John Deere, but that is only because I've got an ex-old John Deere mechanic that knows the old ones
weaknesses inside and out and he'd be inspecting any that I'd buy. Getting an honest evaluation of their history and
a trusted mechanic's inspection and opinion is important to me when I buy used.

True Grit Farms":1mgtosku said:
A cab is the only way to go if you value your lungs.
heck don't worry about your lungs after all you do got 2 of them ;-)

If you're going to be baling hay, get a cab. And a tractor that's big enough to pull a round baler can also handle a 15-foot batwing shredder, for which you will also appreciate a cab.

i'd shop for a 85hp 4 wheel drive tractor. cab would be nice.

Whats your budget? I a 6200 through a 6430 Deere would be nice. That's a huge year and price swing in there early 90's through 12 and the price will be just as big of a swing.

callmefence":2y0dqmgm said:
Buy 2 old 4020s
I do like the 4020s :nod: And if you get 2 of them you got 4 wheel drive :lol: though they don't handle the ice to well

Son of Butch":2hinf1x8 said:
callmefence":2hinf1x8 said:
Buy 2 old 4020s
60 acres tillable... heck old timers did that with 2 tractors an A and B
4020 with a cab = great tractor... no reason for 2 on his acreage
You need the second one for 4 wheel drive!

But really I agree he probably doesn't need 2

You're looking at 70hp minimum to roll a 5x6, 85hp is getting there, 100 is ideal, especially if you have some slopes.

You'll have to post a budget for more specific recommendations.

ez14.":2jnml0aw said:
Son of Butch":2jnml0aw said:
callmefence":2jnml0aw said:
Buy 2 old 4020s
60 acres tillable... heck old timers did that with 2 tractors an A and B
4020 with a cab = great tractor... no reason for 2 on his acreage
You need the second one for 4 wheel drive!

But really I agree he probably doesn't need 2

Thing bout old tractors is you can afford 2(or more) nice not having to change out tools sometimes. But mainly if one breaks down your not screwed.

Even a simple flat tire can be a big deal if it happens at the wrong time...nice to have a backup

I will never have another tractor that is not 4 wheel drive, with a front end loader, and a cab. I'd buy a mule first.

I would go used, 65 70hp minimum , there are bargains out there . Just bought a turboed 65hp belarus for 5k, always shedded 1500hrs on the tractor 1100 on the engine. It's kind of unrefined, but the turbo makes it about 90 horse/with cab. Look around

snoopdog":2hvc1y12 said:
I would go used, 65 70hp minimum , there are bargains out there . Just bought a turboed 65hp belarus for 5k, always shedded 1500hrs on the tractor 1100 on the engine. It's kind of unrefined, but the turbo makes it about 90 horse/with cab. Look around

YEA but them thangs are like dating your cousin. You really do want to be seen in public with them .

M-5":1lefkeah said:
snoopdog":1lefkeah said:

YEA but them thangs are like dating your cousin. You really do want to be seen in public with them .
And about like a 1940 model John Deere

TexasBred":2symx686 said:
M-5":2symx686 said:
snoopdog":2symx686 said:

And about like a 1940 model John Deere
You should see some of my cousins :lol: Not quite as bad as a 40 model , but no it doesn't ride like a lincoln. I don't have any new equipment , or the payments on any.

Latest posts