I need a bigger tractor, What to get?

Help Support CattleToday:

A Ford 5610, 6610, 6710, 7710, 7810(6cyl) Series I or II 4WD would be a perfect size IMO. Reliable and easy to work on. Parts are easy to find and fairly cheap. They're good on fuel too. I have 2 Ford 5000's 2WD models. I'll upgrade to the 4WD some day.

Kick Back Ranch":1f8jye7a said:
A Ford 5610, 6610, 6710, 7710, 7810(6cyl) Series I or II 4WD would be a perfect size IMO. Reliable and easy to work on. Parts are easy to find and fairly cheap. They're good on fuel too. I have 2 Ford 5000's 2WD models. I'll upgrade to the 4WD some day.

All of the 10 series Ford tractors are hard to find in four wheel drive. Those tractors are heavily enough that they really don't need it to much unless u have a loader on it.

Your land base is about what ours is... We have an IH 684 which is pretty good.. if you would get a step or two up to an 884 4wd I'm sure that would do well for you.. Friend of mine has a newer JD 70hp and says the IH 574 had way better lifting capacity.
I'm getting to the point where I have a tractor for every implement... sure is nice at haying time, one is on the swather, one on the rake, one on the baler, and one on the wagon... I put squat for hours on them since each one has it's own little tasks to do

Nesikep":3sbwvxt2 said:
Your land base is about what ours is... We have an IH 684 which is pretty good.. if you would get a step or two up to an 884 4wd I'm sure that would do well for you.. Friend of mine has a newer JD 70hp and says the IH 574 had way better lifting capacity.
I'm getting to the point where I have a tractor for every implement... sure is nice at haying time, one is on the swather, one on the rake, one on the baler, and one on the wagon... I put squat for hours on them since each one has it's own little tasks to do
Good ideal on tractor for every implement. Maintaining all the tractors can get to be a pita though I have found out.

I bailed hay for years bought and sold a cab tractor hated it in the hay field.
Hated my FWD in the hay field too big of turning radius.
Ran two 60hp a NH and Massey in the hay fields. Cutter stayed hooked up to the Massey all season.

Bale lots of hay every year and you couldn't pay me to go back to an open station tractor, no more eating dirt/dust and sweating to death all day also with a discbine you have a little more protection from flying debris. The MFWD tractors do have a little larger turning radius but IMO you make up for that drawback with the greatly increased ride quality.

Caustic Burno":3s1hq4t7 said:
I bailed hay for years bought and sold a cab tractor hated it in the hay field.
Hated my FWD in the hay field too big of turning radius.
Ran two 60hp a NH and Massey in the hay fields. Cutter stayed hooked up to the Massey all season.
chevytaHOE5674":3s1hq4t7 said:
Bale lots of hay every year and you couldn't pay me to go back to an open station tractor, no more eating dirt/dust and sweating to death all day also with a discbine you have a little more protection from flying debris. The MFWD tractors do have a little larger turning radius but IMO you make up for that drawback with the greatly increased ride quality.
Just depends on your front tire choice.. get a softer, wider tire on a 2wd.. Nothing turns as sharp as a our Masseys, and in our odd shaped fields that is critical

Wider tires on a 2wd help but the height of the tire on a MFWD is what gives it the nice ride, gives the tire the ability to bridge over dips and holes that would swallow a 2wd tire. I've never seen a 2wd tractor with 50-60+" tall front rubber.

I have nothing but small odd shaped fields and get along just fine with my MFWD tractors and wouldn't want to go back to a 2wd. According to the book for my TW5 the turning radius is 12" larger for the MFWD over the 2wd, that isn't much; and newer MFWD tractors turn even sharper.

Obviously not but also never have a need to turn that sharp. A couple of headlands around the outside and there's no need to turn like that. And with wider implements you don't need to turn like that.

your better off getting a 100hp cab 4x4 with fel.it will do everything you need.all we run now is 4x4 tractors.2 with ROPS 1 with a cab.

Latest posts