I messed up

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
BIG time!

A couple days ago, one because I was too tired and traumatized, and two because last night we had quite the electrical storm (got about 10.5 mm last night), I did something that I'm still feeling pretty darn guilty about. Even though everyone says "it's nothing, don't worry about it."

I buggered up the truck pretty good.

It was an accident really, and didn't how it happened, but somehow I had gotten distracted and went over the center line. Mom let me know but then stupid me over corrected and things went from there. The truck started fish-tailing, I panicked and didn't let my foot off the gas (which I should've), and into the ditch we went, and straight into the trees. We weren't going that fast, but still it was enough speed to ruin the front bumper and tear the little cow-catcher off on the front. AND put a nice big tree branch underneath.

So the truck's a write-off. Unfortunately, because I really liked it and was hoping I'd be able to use it when I got my driver's liscence. But as always, plans change with the unexpected.

And not to mention how sick I felt about it. Soon after we hit the trees and mom told me to take my foot off the gas and turn off the truck, did I start screaming and apologizing profusely to her. I wouldn't stop crying for a good 5 or 10 minutes, I felt so bad.

But fortunately, no one was hurt (except the truck), just a minor scrape from clambering thru the bush and trees to the ditch.

So now, we are borrowing my grandpa's van for the time being until mom settles on a new vehicle. The old car that we once drove is out of commission as well because the transmission is shot. And othe old Ford is too old and worn out to be on public roads, and our GMC truck has been apart for I dunno how long. So yeah, you could imagine our circumstances right now.

We HAVE been wanting to get a new vehicle, but not as sudden nor in this situation. (I've been vouching for GMC or Chevy, since I'm more partial to them than Ford or Dodge, even more so than Toyota or Nissan or those other "foreign-made" vehicles.)

I'm okay now, just wanted to share my little story with you.

Glad you are ok. Its probably just me but I think I'd have to give a lot of thought to ever buying another GM or Dodge vehicle until I have a few questions answered.JMO

IluvABbeef":318e9dl3 said:
BIG time!
everyone says "it's nothing, don't worry about it."
It is good that you are ok, trucks can be replaced. They are things ~ yes? :nod: You are especially lucky that you are surrounded by people telling you not to worry about it. If I did that at your age I would get out of the truck and start running south ~ the dogs would not be far behind...... :help:

;-)

Jogeephus":12gfzpqy said:
Glad you are ok. Its probably just me but I think I'd have to give a lot of thought to ever buying another GM or Dodge vehicle until I have a few questions answered.JMO

Can I ask what do you mean by that? :???:

Glad you are both OK. It's the kind of thing you could have been told over and over and not "gotten it". But now that it has happened, you will be a better driver the rest of your life. And all this valuable lesson cost was a used truck and some embarassment.

I think Jo is referring to the recent financial troubles that both those companies have been having, availability of parts, service, warranties... Of course, GM is still urging folks to continue to drive their vehicles and they have just reorganized and are going to make fewer models, but Crystler is gone now and I don't honestly know what's to become of them. We have a Crystler Crossfire, a two seater, I hate it. It already is expensive to work on and now I fear that parts will become scarce for it. We had trouble finding brakes for it recently and only were able to get it serviced and a brake place because they just happened to have the parts on hand. I'm trying to get him to trade it for something sensible.

With a pickup you need some weight over the drive wheels. Without it the back wheels leave the ground giveing you no control whatever.
I'm glad you are ok.. Now you know the areas you need practice in. I'd suggest you go out and SLOWLY drop off the edge of the road. Practice this until it's second nature. Fall off the road,get off the gas and edge your way back up..I did this with my kids over and over,and drilled them until they were sick of it. But they can DRIVE! :banana: :tiphat:
BTW,you might get to use the wrecked truck to get that rebate thing..

Glad you are OK. Try to learn from this bad experience and keep on going.

Well, you aren't hurt, your Mom is not hurt, and you didn't hurt somebody else out there and you aren't buying them a new car.......so compared to a lot of car crashes it really didn't end all that bad. I love cars and trucks but if you drive them long enough they all end up crashed, with a blown motor, or more work than they are probably worth.

So how is the truck totalled if all it needs is a front bumper? Is the radiator and/or transmission busted? $100 in metal and 4 days with a torch and a welder and you can build a better bumper than the one it came out of the factory with.

Thanks everyone.

Brandon, the front bumper is plastic, which means that it needs to be replaced, and which also makes it impossible to just simply put a blow-torch on it to fix it. :) The fog lights are gone, as well as the left signal light. I'm not sure about the other lights (except the back ones which are obviously just fine). The cow-catcher on the front is snapped clean off, with the impact of hitting the trees. The frame of the truck might be messed up some too, and with that tree lodged under there, the radiator or some other parts might be damaged. According to the RCMP accident report, both the front fenders have some damage, as well on the right rear fender. That's because of the way I went into the trees; at a "perfect" 45 degree angle. Since we got this truck at a relatively cheap price for a 2000 model (since I want to leave even the estimated amount confidential for personal reasons), the costs to fix it might possibly end up being more than it's worth, hence it being a write-off.

The auto shop in town was closed when the tow-truck hauled it there, and during the weekend, so we won't get a quote on the damage until maybe sometime this week--I was hoping by tomorrow, but it could be a day or two later. Depends on mom and her throat-cold.

Peg, you're right. This truck we had wasn't a 4x4 either which might've had helped with more control...theoretically. We might get a vehicle with all-wheel drive, but with the prices of those types that might be a distant possibility.

Lammie, thanks. I know mom and I got a lot of shopping around to do (just like shopping around for that "perfect" herd bull!) before we settle on something economical and roadworthy for the winter. Something that won't get stuck in the snowdrifts as easy as some other vehicles. Which is the reason why I'm a bit partial to Chevy.

So anyway, it's just a matter of time before I feel comfortable enough to get back in the driver's seat and continue to practice my driving skills.

Iluvab, we all mess up; it's part of being human. You and your mom are safe and fine and that is what matters.

Hang in there..

"Get back on the horse what throwed ya!"
You can't let fear rule your life. You'll be a bit timid for a while,only normal.. Would it be possable to take defensive driveing?
Not theory,hands on..
As to the worth of the truck-mine is priceless to me..paid for,runs..Don't have to make payments,insurence is low. Reparing might be less than a new truck.
Just glad noone was hurt.. You take care now..

We learn from our mistakes. It will make you a better driver in the long run. I agree with Peg get back on the horse that throwed ya.

ILB-Glad you and your mom are okay. As I have always told my wife and son metal can be replaced people can't. Ditch troubles are part of learning to drive. Until you have found your personal limits you don't really learn. Learning by doing is not always the preferred method but I betyou are 100% more attuned to possibilities of mischance than before your mishap. Accidents will happen so quit beating yourself up about it and use the experience to help yourself and any of your friends that will listen to you. Take care and be careful. Good Luck.

When you have a auto accident like that and walk away from it. It is invaluable as a lesson learned. Young drivers especially, lack concentration some times and all are not able to walk away.

I'm not worried about getting parts for discontinued car models. You know? most everything now is made in China and the Chinese will not pass up an opportunity to make anything.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Brandon, one of the guys at the autoshop in town was able to get the truck started up, but the fan is all mucked up. Dunno about the radiator and other things, but anyway Mom sold it to the auto wreckers for about 800 bucks...pretty good considering the shape it's in. To that, it was in fact a write off and not worth driving...plus the repairs would be a thousand or two dollars more than the truck is worth...like I said.

I've slowly started getting back in the saddle...if you call mowing the lawn at the vet clinic for over an hour and a half starting to get back at it again.

Latest posts