I know nothing about pigs...

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
and we are having one slaughtered. Steve has a friend where he works that bought a couple of pigs and was putting feed on them. I don't honestly know who much it weighs. I just don't know about ordering thicknesses, smoked or cured... Help me. I figured some of you will have some good advice about this.

Lammie. Some suggestions are as follows;However you may or maynot like some of the ideas because some people do not like all types of pork cuts. We usually have at least one ham cured and left whole for a big ham roast that way we have cooked ham left over that we freeze and use as we want for various things the other ham and the shoulders we usually have steaks and roasts made . The loin we usually have either center cut loin chops or country style ribs made, these come from the same part so you have to limit how much of each you want. We have the center cut chops made 1" thick then you can either slow grill or stuff them depending on your wishes. The sides we have cured and made into bacon. On the shoulders we usually use at least one and all the trimmings from everything else made into ground pork and/or pork sausage. If the processor would double grind the pork it has a very good texture. I am sure there are other cuts we have tried but these are the ones we use most often. Enjoy. JLP

Lammie :wave: pork that is cured in a salt box is very good. :nod:

I prefer my chops and steaks cut 3/4" personal preference , I also have 2/3 of the sides cured for bacon and 1/3 for fresh side meat (can't beat side meat sammiches with fresh mater and MAYO)

we have 1 ham cured and sliced for ham steaks and then have them make roast and fresh ground pork and sausage out of what is left over

Ok Lammie here is how my pig gets cut up.

Both hams cured and smoked, cut in half; so I end up with 4 hams.
chops are double thick cut, I use a brine I got from the Food Network and it makes the best chops. 2 per package
bacon cured and smoked, 1 pound per package
shoulder roasts, fresh. I slow cook them and make pulled pork sandwiches.
the rest is put into sausage. we can only get summer sausage from our butcher. :roll:
I also will get some of the fat and render it down into lard for my pie crusts and some other cooking.

Call the processor you plan to use, they will walk you thru your options.

We got one hog that was "home processed" and frozen fresh, we had to cure the bacon and ham ourselves. That was a PITA, much better to have the processor do it for you.

Thanks. When I asked Steve how big he was all he said was, "big". He goes today. The pig, not Steve... I've never had a pig butchered before so I thought this would be something nice to do this year. Hopefully, Stripey gets loaded up and taken for processing this Saturday, so we should have meat a plenty this winter.

If you are thinking of having any of it smoked you might want to ask about how it is smoked. Some butchers use a liquid smoke process which is good when done right. But if its done wrong its not fit to eat. JMO

Jogeephus":26a6jl0p said:
If you are thinking of having any of it smoked you might want to ask about how it is smoked. Some butchers use a liquid smoke process which is good when done right. But if its done wrong its not fit to eat. JMO

Good question and we will ask it. Thanks.

grannysoo":3g4wbo7v said:
A good processor will walk you through all of the options and help you decide. You're gonna love the fresh pork!

We are looking forward to it! I was real excited when we had the chance to do this. We never messed with pigs my whole life but we sure do love pork.

grannysoo":3aplnu99 said:
A good processor will walk you through all of the options and help you decide. You're gonna love the fresh pork!

I agree. You can't go wrong here. Get your porkchops cut an inch thick or better. Other than steak, there's nothing better cooked on the grill. Marinate the pork chop in Dale's for a few hours and you'll feel sorry for Jewish people.

You don't happen to have a meat grinder do you. If so, I'll share some patty sausage recipes with you. Made some pecan cane syrup sausage this weekend. Everyone loved it.

BTW - just as there is a big difference between store bought steak and home grown you will see a big difference in the pork too. Unless you got a really good grocer/butcher in your town.

Lammie your processor will have a cut list that they will go through with you when it is ready to be cut. But like was stated get chops, steaks ,side ribs ,back ribs ,county style ribs ,ham (get them to cure it for you, roasts (butt roasts are amazing) bacon if you like , ground pork ( mix pork and beef together when you are cooking and it makes an unbelievable combination you will like it better than straight beef) and sausages (we always get bratwurst made up for us).

Enjoy ,your family will eat like kings this winter. :)

Made some pecan cane syrup sausage this weekend.
Jo, feel free to share this recipe. :nod:

Latest posts