I know jerseys aren't beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Petercoates87

Reaction score
Hey looking for some contacts in my area that have jersey cows. I'm in newfoundland Canada. But someone in the maritime provinces will do, I'm expecting to need to ship her in.

Yeah I know! We had a jersey family cow when I was younger and well my grandfather always had at least 2 jersey cows all the time. I have a couple of beef cows now but I'd like to have a jersey again. I kinds got a soft spot for them.

Not many dairys left with them, but still the odd one goes thru the sale barn on thursdays. Jersey calves are like 10 or 20 bux at times.

Most folks around here that feed their own beef for personal consumption still use jersey or Holstein steers. Very tender.

I'm kinda the same way about beef as I am fish.... You can get the occasional bad one, but for the most part I'm just a plain ole carnivore. I don't care what kind it is if it tastes good!

My uncle raises dairy steers for his catering business. He always retained jersey steers for his family only as he like their flavor and tenderness. Wish he would share them with me. We have few large cow/calf operations near us, always have jerseys or jersey cross cows running with beef cattle.

supa dexta I think we need to become better friends lol. but im not after a jersey for the claves as much as im looking for one for milk and cream. the calf is really just bonus. getting a young heifer I can raise her to be as gentle as possible.

Sure you want gallons of milk a day? They can have more problems like milk fever.

I have milked beef/Jersey crosses that gave me more milk than I wanted.

I'm now stealing milk from a couple beef heifers a couple times a week for just the wife and I. Good milk, just not as much cream as from Jersey cross.

If I get grandkids around, I will breed my beef cows to Jersey to get a heifer with more milk. Could you try AI to your beef cows?

You know you can turn jersey cows into nurse cows and you won't have to milk them out but the jersey cows running with the beef herd seems they have smaller udders.

When we had the jersey we would milk about a gallon off her a day plus give the rest to the calf. And we'll you can't sell milk here but you can accept a "donation" toward her feed. So I understand the amount of milk we r talking about here. And like someone said if I can't keep up wit the milk I can always pick up a Holstein steer and nurse him off her too.

Latest posts