I Know I Shouldn't Worry, BUT......

Help Support CattleToday:

Another dead calf this morning. Was already dead when the cow delivered. Checked the placenta and it does not look right. I can't think of the name right now but the round red parts of it are pale and look like it was just starting to decompose.

Nothing the vet can do, going to call him later in the morning. :(

First cow that aborted never got well no matter what we did or gave her. Hubby put her down this weekend.

Did send an e-mail off to the maker of the vaccine we had been using telling them I blamed them for not pulling this vaccine sooner.

How long does it take for this to run it's course?

It was Vista 5 VL5 SQ.

Switching to Bovi Shield Gold FP VL5 Type II BVD. Everything is getting that cows, calves, steers, bulls and yearlings.
Have to vaccinate them at least 35 days before turning the bulls out.

I luv herfrds":2b7veh2m said:
It was Vista 5 VL5 SQ.

Switching to Bovi Shield Gold FP VL5 Type II BVD. Everything is getting that cows, calves, steers, bulls and yearlings.
Have to vaccinate them at least 35 days before turning the bulls out.
Yes, Vista IS the one I meant to type.

I no ILH, so sorry to hear that. I sure hope that you can get can something concrete to go on if it is the Vista vaccine causing this, and have some recourse against the company.

Sorry for all that is happening with your girls and calves.. :(

Thanks for the link I have saved it.

Ouch! :(

I'm very sorry to hear about that. I hope you are able to get this whole mess straightened out.

Hopefully you may nave some recourse with the vaccine manufacturer. Document everything.

Good luck.

Katherine

I just don't even know what to say. I can't imagine going threw anything like that. I know how we felt when we lost over half of our cattle and calves due to excessivly large calves.
I agree, document everything! Hopefully the company will do something. Nothing can bring those calves back. What about the money spent on the vac's.? I would have your vet help you fight this. This can't just go on with no reprocussion. I haven't herd of the brand but I have writen it down and will be sure to watch for it.
Please keep us posted on how its going. We all here on our ranch are praying for you and your cattle. Praying that you won't loose anymore and things will be made "right" (as right as they can be).
Very sorry this happened. Your really going to be jumpy now. Tell hubby to prepair. If he thought you were jumpy before........ Prepair for next season!!!!!
Best wishes,
Double R

I was just wondering, there was a thread on generic Ivomec vs. the real stuff. Is the vaccine you used for IBR generic or not? I think I'm asking the question right. My daughter does the ads you see for AgriLabs in the magizines, and I can get their drugs really cheap, Agrimection, not spelled right, the wormer for 29 cents per cow, but my vet won't use it. I just use for re-treatments. Really sorry about your calves, that's gotta' make you sick. gs

Vista is stil listed in the catalogs but says "ask for availability" and it is not available. Not a generic.
ILH - was last year the FIRST year you used Vista or did you also use it the year before. Maybe your backwards calves were that way because they were already dead the year before?
Have you had any LIVE calves?
Sooooo sorry for you. Keep us posted.

Jeanne we had been using it for 4-5 years. Correction we started using it in 2008. My mistake. Looked through our records and the first shot was done May 3, 2008. then in 2009 we had 5 dead calves. Really wish we had sent the calves to the lab. :cry2:
The last dead calf and placenta are off to the lab too. If we lose anymore they will go the same way.
We do have 2 live calves and we are watching them for any signs of illness.

Double R I am sweating bullets worrying about my AI cows that are bred to GH Rambo 279. there may only be 2 of them, but I am watching them like a hawk. Losing those 2 calves would be a real kick in the pants.

PG each vaccine is different even if they are made to do the same thing.

HD it is hard to say if it was the vaccine or "wild" IBR, but we didn't have this trouble before using this vaccine. :mad:

Latest posts