I know I lost a strap here somewhere...found it!

Help Support CattleToday:

Noise was so loud the neighbors rushed over thinking I rolled the tractor I don't know about how loud but it sure shook the hadies out of the tractor

Try a piece of the heavy plastic string they use on big sq bales, around the blade of the mower that sits under the lawn tractor.......laying on the ground on a piece of old cardboard with a pocket knife, digging a little bit out at a time....

My sympathies @skyhightree1

I once got an old steel belted tire up around the rotating assembly. I don't know how it managed to get both blades thru the center of the tire but it did. Even after pivoting both blades toward the center, it still wouldn't come off. Wasn't fun cutting it off with a 4" angle grinder either.

And I've had to do this way too many times.
DSC00504.JPG

Last edited:
I had to rent my house out for a few years. The renter and I got sideways. Among other things, he put about 30 tires and wheels out in my pasture. That was a fun year of mowing.

HT will cut right through the snout of a gearbox if you let it run long enough. One of our hired hands learned that the hard way. If the mower suddenly sounds like a giant weed whacker, stop.

Tree stumps and just running the mower into the dirt from dips/ditches are the worst offenders here.

If the mower suddenly sounds like a giant weed whacker.
Man it does indeed sound like that, or a gas turbine engine (jet) winding up rpms..

Tree stumps...
Around 2009, I was mowing tall grass and goat weed near dark and going slow in low range 2nd gear to look for stumps and had the mower set up pretty high on the 3pt too. I was standing up to see over the hood of the Leyland tractor. A bad decision..
I found out the hard way I had cleared a 1 year old white oak stump with the underside of the tractor but the front edge of mower hit it hard and the tractor came to an abrupt halt and came as close as I ever want to come to being thrown over the front of it. Tractor didn't stall, rear tires just spun in place even with ballast in them.

Last edited:
Funniest thing i ever saw was next door. They had a pear orchard with big old pear trees planted 20' x 20'. They were in rows east to west with 19mm poly pipe run along for irrigation. The father was ill so his university educated son came up to mow the orchard for him......and mowed north to south. Man you should have heard the noise. We could hear the distinct noise of pipe thrashing in the mower, he'd stop and rev the tractor flat out until the pipe had all flung off and then move to the next row. This went on for hours until we realised what he was doing. Before dad could get over to stop him the father had come out and the yelling was louder than the mower!! This old guy fought for Italy on the German front in Russia during ww2 and was a very hardened guy. But to this day i still have a laugh when i think about it. The son is high up in law related work these days.

Funniest thing i ever saw was next door. They had a pear orchard with big old pear trees planted 20' x 20'. They were in rows east to west with 19mm poly pipe run along for irrigation. The father was ill so his university educated son came up to mow the orchard for him......and mowed north to south. Man you should have heard the noise. We could hear the distinct noise of pipe thrashing in the mower, he'd stop and rev the tractor flat out until the pipe had all flung off and then move to the next row. This went on for hours until we realised what he was doing. Before dad could get over to stop him the father had come out and the yelling was louder than the mower!! This old guy fought for Italy on the German front in Russia during ww2 and was a very hardened guy. But to this day i still have a laugh when i think about it. The son is high up in law related work these days.
And that my friends is the difference between education and intelligence.

Sometimes it is better to have no help. LOL

Latest posts