I knew lightweight calves were high, but...

Help Support CattleToday:

one was a jersey / angus mix.. all teh others were solid black. theya ll seemed pretty healthy ..some even lived for a month. I bought 2 of them right off the moms. I talked to another guy who bought 5 of them around the same time as me and all his died as well.

hard to tell I guess... temps were going from 20 to 60 everyday so i'm sure that played a role.

that jersey/angus mix I would treat her, she would be ok for 2 days, then get sick again. treat.. sick again in 2 days.. one had a gut infection, he kept bloating up every couple hours. one started walking sideways.. i think they had about everything.

I saw a week old orphan black calf sell the other week for $300. Didn't catch the weight of it but I'd wager it was pushing $5/lb for the pleasure of bottle feeding and doctoring a calf.

This is getting insane which troubles me because whenever I see prices make people stupid its normally happens just before the bottom falls out.

Lots of calves ( dozens if not hundreds) of baby calves have been lost here in the last 2 weeks with 30" of snow and 2.5 " rain. No baby calves for sale here anywhere and no dairy farm within 100 miles. I bet I could get $600 easy for a week old baby. I aint gonna give it. I will have a dry cow first.

I normally would have bought a calf to put on a heifer that lost one a week and a half ago but decided not to for several reasons. One was the weather we have been having, which has been terrible, the other is I'm afraid of bringing a disease in this time of year. All the herds around our area have been having a higher than usual calf loss and though most of it can be attributed to the weather and causing stress the calve are dead within a day of being noticed. I know they can go backwards in a hurry but also there is the possibility that once their immune system is weakened they become susceptible to whatever is present. The final reason is the cost baby calves on Craigslist are all over the place from $400 to $600.

Latest posts