I just wanted to gripe.......

Help Support CattleToday:

dewey

Reaction score
Folks seems every time we go to someone place to load cattle there is always a few things I see each place we go. When folks make a loading chute they always seem to have it so that your backing up hill to load or either down hill. Most of the time the chutes are always at a strange angle or have a gate hinged off one side so you have to back at an angle so there is no hole for a calf to escape when loading. Not to mention the piles of junk or brush piles you have to dodge to get to the chute. Another thing I see a lot it does not matter if the person has 1500 acres or 10 acres they always tend to feed round bales directly in front of the chute. The loose hay tend to make the truck spin while trying to back up and not to mention how hard it is to pull off from the chute loaded with loose hay under your tires.

Folks when you design your chutes why not try to put the chute on the levelest spot on your place. Have it so when you get loaded you head straight out and don't have to make a sharp loop turn to head out when loaded. Also keep in mind you have plenty of room on your property when putting out round bales they do not have to be put out directly in front of the loading chute. How about keeping the junk and brush piles away from the area to get to the chute too? Just one more thing....When you build you chute leave plenty of room so you can get at least a 36 ft trailer up to the chute? You may not own a trailer that long but one day you may want some one to haul/move your cattle with a big trailer so you don't have to make so many trips. :lol: Ok I am done griping now. :lol:

when i hauled cattle in the 80's,, that was always a big concern, good facilities..i had to be pulled out with a dozers,, tractors... had to ford the river once to get to a load whole rig started to slide off into the river i fought that one out.. GOD was with me on that one :cowboy:

I assume you are a hauler and I have never thought about it from that perspective. I did notice the last time that the boy driving the truck had a heck of a time getting to my pen but I just thought he didn't no how to drive. Might have to take a look.

When we built our pens at the south ranch about 3yrs ago we did take all this into consideration.
I went back and added 6ft gates on each side of the chute that hinges in the middle.So it really dont matter if you are backed straight in or at an angle as long as the fatherest distantce of your trailer is 6ft or closer.Have chains welded to the gates to chain to the trailer. Works for me.
Oh and there's a 50 acre field you can turn around in. :)

Cal

I pick up a few cattle sometimes for a local sale barn. I don't haul cattle full time. Each time we go to a place there always seems to be an adventure. :D You will see pens/corrals erected out of stuff you never dreamed you could make a pen or corral out of. Not to mention the pens with no loading chute or crowding pen etc just a square 100x100x100x100 ft trap with a gate in one corner or maybe in the middle of the fence to load out of.

While you're at it, go ahead and mention those 12 foot gates at every turn or pasture entry.

dewey":1shdb831 said:
I pick up a few cattle sometimes for a local sale barn. I don't haul cattle full time. Each time we go to a place there always seems to be an adventure. :D You will see pens/corrals erected out of stuff you never dreamed you could make a pen or corral out of. Not to mention the pens with no loading chute or crowding pen etc just a square 100x100x100x100 ft trap with a gate in one corner or maybe in the middle of the fence to load out of.
I've seen those....amazing what some can do with a few wood pallets and a couple pair of worn out bedsprings. :lol2:

I've seen those....amazing what some can do with a few wood pallets and a couple pair of worn out bedsprings. :lol2:[/quote]

Thanks TB. Glad you like my pens.
I spent several days searching landfills just to get those old bedsprings and pallets. Not to mention the labor involved espacially the amount of baling wire used just to hold them together. :lol:

Cal

TexasBred":378s56kf said:
I've seen those....amazing what some can do with a few wood pallets and a couple pair of worn out bedsprings. :lol2:
:lol: I'm rebuilding a set of corals right now that had both of the above in a few diferent spots. The day after we shipped the previous owners cattle I started the teardown... I stuck a crowbar under the toprail in the middle of a hundred foot span and gave it a twist and the entire stretch of fence collapsed :lol: . I'll still have to stop in the creek and then back up-hill to load but at least I've got it to where it's a straight shot. :D

dewey":1qit173h said:
Folks seems every time we go to someone place to load cattle there is always a few things I see each place we go. When folks make a loading chute they always seem to have it so that your backing up hill to load or either down hill. Most of the time the chutes are always at a strange angle or have a gate hinged off one side so you have to back at an angle so there is no hole for a calf to escape when loading. Not to mention the piles of junk or brush piles you have to dodge to get to the chute. Another thing I see a lot it does not matter if the person has 1500 acres or 10 acres they always tend to feed round bales directly in front of the chute. The loose hay tend to make the truck spin while trying to back up and not to mention how hard it is to pull off from the chute loaded with loose hay under your tires.

Folks when you design your chutes why not try to put the chute on the levelest spot on your place. Have it so when you get loaded you head straight out and don't have to make a sharp loop turn to head out when loaded. Also keep in mind you have plenty of room on your property when putting out round bales they do not have to be put out directly in front of the loading chute. How about keeping the junk and brush piles away from the area to get to the chute too? Just one more thing....When you build you chute leave plenty of room so you can get at least a 36 ft trailer up to the chute? You may not own a trailer that long but one day you may want some one to haul/move your cattle with a big trailer so you don't have to make so many trips. :lol: Ok I am done griping now. :lol:

LOL....that's what happens when people hire someone to do their work for them....they don't learn from the stupid mistakes they make and are doomed to keep on doing them.....but then, you did get a job and a few $ out of it.

One place we went the guy had a 50x50x50x50 ft pen with a 32 inch wide chute in one corner of the pen and the chute was about 16 ft long. We took the only thing we could find to make something to help as a crowding gate it was some sort of galvanized frame not sure exactly what it was? It was about 16 ft long maybe 4 ft tall with X bracings about every 4 ft. It helped some but not alot cattle went over it some went thru it but we managed to get them loaded after about 3 hours of messing with them. Not to mention the cattle was a little on the wild side them that wasnt trying to hook you would run smooth over you and kick you if they missed running over you. At the end of the 16 ft chute at the trailer gate he had a piece of twisted up barbwire about head high about 5 1/2 ft off the ground. I have no idea what he had it there the post was solid and he didnt need it for a brace. I know this much it teaches a person to duck when you get to the trailer after about twice of having your cap twisted up in the barbwire and some of your hair yanked out and a scratched head. We went back several times and he has never added a crowd gate the galvanized outfit was still tied the way we left it. If we go back again I will take a pair of pliers and remove the head banging/scratching piece of barbwire. :lol:

dewey":25vy5eqe said:
One place we went the guy had a 50x50x50x50 ft pen with a 32 inch wide chute in one corner of the pen and the chute was about 16 ft long. We took the only thing we could find to make something to help as a crowding gate it was some sort of galvanized frame not sure exactly what it was? It was about 16 ft long maybe 4 ft tall with X bracings about every 4 ft. It helped some but not alot cattle went over it some went thru it but we managed to get them loaded after about 3 hours of messing with them. Not to mention the cattle was a little on the wild side them that wasnt trying to hook you would run smooth over you and kick you if they missed running over you. At the end of the 16 ft chute at the trailer gate he had a piece of twisted up barbwire about head high about 5 1/2 ft off the ground. I have no idea what he had it there the post was solid and he didnt need it for a brace. I know this much it teaches a person to duck when you get to the trailer after about twice of having your cap twisted up in the barbwire and some of your hair yanked out and a scratched head. We went back several times and he has never added a crowd gate the galvanized outfit was still tied the way we left it. If we go back again I will take a pair of pliers and remove the head banging/scratching piece of barbwire. :lol:
what do u mean u will take a pair of pliers? dont all cowboys always carry pliers? i even c them have them on em n church.

I was thinking the same thing. You never know when you'll have to yank the pastors tooth

:lol: i guess i am a wannabe ? i may have a pocket knife in my pocket but dont carry no pliers with me. maybe some in my truck but i dont carry them on me. do good to have a jack and lug wrench in the company truck and to be honest i dont care to use either one of them either. usually when i need some pliers or hammer i am in the wrong truck the tools are in the one at the house. :lol:

Latest posts