I inherited a black baldy calf what do I do?

Help Support CattleToday:

BILLIE SUE

Reaction score
She is 4wks old and bottle fed milk replacer. I know nothing about cows. What do I use her for breeding or what and how do I know what a good amount for selling her will be? Or when do I try to sell her if at all? Thanks yall :cboy:

BILLIE SUE":smuqabhq said:
She is 4wks old and bottle fed milk replacer. I know nothing about cows. What do I use her for breeding or what and how do I know what a good amount for selling her will be? Or when do I try to sell her if at all? Thanks yall :cboy:
You got aa yr or more before deciding if you are gonna breed her. You may want to feed her for you to eat but then you have a long time feeding it too. What do you wanna do with it.

Can I make any money off of her because I would rather sell her than me feed her to eat her because I have become attached to her. Is that crazy?

BILLIE SUE":39rwp99p said:
Can I make any money off of her because I would rather sell her than me feed her to eat her because I have become attached to her. Is that crazy?
If she didn't cost you anything you shoulld be able to make money on her.

Sell her, keep her - for eating or breeding.

Really, these are the only choices.

This is NOT a pet - cattle are raised for propogation of the species or eating. You lose sight of that you are dead in the water and should not be in the game.

Up to you,

Bez!

Saltydawg":32ihjttv said:
I wish I could "inherit" some black baldies hehe.

I could not agree more!

Brandi is off to a great start in my opinion.

Bez!

BILLIE SUE":925sq5ko said:
a lot of this depends on your position (time & financial)

if you need the money, plan on selling her. if you dont have time to take care of her, plan on selling her. if you cant afford proper facilities, sell her soon.

if you can afford to take care of her and have time along with facilities, keep her around and have a hobby that might actually make you a few dollars every year.

it's not really that complicated.

do you know how far the nearest sale barn is away?

Bez!":2et5i59r said:
This is NOT a pet - cattle are raised for propogation of the species or eating. You lose sight of that you are dead in the water and should not be in the game.
to you they are not pets... to others they could be a pet, enemy, spouse, god, or trashman. :D

i say do whatever feels right as long as the cow is taken care of.

but Bezzzzzzz, shes so super dooper cute and cuddely wuddely.

I'm with LA4, you dont have to decide right now. you can sell her around 450lbs or you can grow her out and see if she makes a nice heifer. she probably will if you feed her right. then you could breed her or whatever. If youve got 4 or 5 extra acres you may think about keeping her around. if you do i'd get her another cow friend so she doesnt get bored and cause trouble.

Get that 8 year old out there taking care of "her" calf! calves grow up fast, teach her to respect your daughter now so she will when she grows up. easy to get hurt around cows.

thanks to all yall who have given me your two cents worth.I know I have a while to decide and thank you all for your support this is great! Brandi

Beefy":658qas3h said:

Who could resist those big liquid eyes, that cute little nose, or those soft, floppy ears? :eek:

msscamp":9qildu4n said:
Beefy":9qildu4n said:

Who could resist those big liquid eyes, that cute little nose, or those soft, floppy ears? :eek:

I had a girlfriend like that once!

:lol:

Bez!

Bez!":b3iz389z said:
msscamp":b3iz389z said:
Beefy":b3iz389z said:

Bez!

:shock: :lol2: :lol2: Did she like to have her withers scratched?

lol i inherited one last year lol sorta stuck with her she was an embryo put in a holstien heifer so i end up getting her

msscamp":39cmnsqi said:
Bez!":39cmnsqi said:
msscamp":39cmnsqi said:
Beefy":39cmnsqi said:

Bez!

A gentleman never tells.

Bez!

Bez!":28csm1o2 said:
msscamp":28csm1o2 said:
Bez!":28csm1o2 said:
msscamp":28csm1o2 said:
Beefy":28csm1o2 said:

Bez!

A gentleman never tells.

Bez!

:lol: :lol:

Latest posts