I hope this little guy makes it bale twine dinner

Help Support CattleToday:

Rockridgecattle, dark thirty just means sometime between the sun going down or coming up. During the hay feeding period I have to be at work at 7:00 a.m and depending on where I'm working I may have an hour or two drive to get there. So most of the time its pitch black when I'm setting the bales out.

We use grass twine, because when we bought this farm the other guy used plastic and we spent months picking it up and still find it. I don't think he ever picked a piece of it up. along with alot lot of other things he never picked up ( old hay rings, barb wire, fence post). So we use the grass but we have a hay barn that we can put about 600 bales in so it works for us. But I have seen calves eat plactic and they were fine. I hope your calf is ok.

Yes very cold canuck winters.
Yes we have nearly skinned ourselves to the bone trying to remove plastic twine. Same when you are trying to pull it out of the ground :mad: HURTS

ALX and Jog, you are welcome.

mind235, I have a fat yearling heifer that was terrible for finding twine, she would search it out and loved to chew it up and eat it. I never planned to keep her so never got to worried about it. We will be slaughtering for our own use, I will let you know what we find. But if it makes you feel any better I know she has eaten twine, and yet she has gained well and is easy fleshing, a good doer. I would like to here from anyone who has slaughtered cattle, and has some insight to share.

We had a cow that would grab twine off the bale and eat it before we could pull it off. After it was off she would try to get it off the truck. We really did do our best to keep twine away from her but she loved it and was obsessed with trying to eat it, not sure why. We had her for over ten years and she'd been doing this since she was a heifer. She was always fat and healthy and so was the calf. Eating twine is not good and we should be trying to ensure they don't eat it but it is not necessarily a death sentence either.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. He is acting fine eating in the pasture and has that "got milk" smile so I am hoping since he seems like he is doing well. Kind of funny but I pulled a string today I found it was under ground except one big ball that was obviously chewed but it had the anchor to keep it from eating it where mine was not so I keep hoping he is alright I just found him a nice date for next summer fine looking hefier she is.

Thanks

Latest posts