I heard a new one today

Help Support CattleToday:

Kscattle

Reaction score
While working cattle today this old man was there helping get cows sorted got to talking about leaving some calves intact for replacement bulls. He said he's always heard that you should never keep a bull calf if they have white on their testacles. Now this man has Herefords mainly so I'm unsure if he meant that for Herefords or all breeds.
Have any of you guys ever heard this practice before and if so what's the reasoning? If that's the case I guess I see why my kids are the way they are!

skeeter swatter":pfg3qmfp said:
A bull with pigment on his scrotum should have less trouble with sunburn or frostbite, same as a cow with pigment on her bag.

I counted over 20 bulls with frostbit nuts in the sale i sold at this spring. They were all solid black............in other words.its :bs:

I think the issue is sun scald more than frostbite on the cow's udder when the sun is shining and reflecting off the snow. The colored scrotum indicates the bull is more likely to throw daughters with color in the udder, and less likely to be sunburned/scalded.

skeeter swatter":5qrgmw04 said:
I didn`t mean frozen testes, I meant the skin. Perhaps chapped might have been a better word. Anyhow, its for the daughters.

Well it was the tips of their scrotums that were frostbit. Some tested fine a dna few didn't but they were the same proportion as the ones who were laying on their nuts the night the others froze!

Latest posts